Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Honda prelude Auto trans, it has a h22a JDM engine swap with OBD1 injectors dizzy and alternator. I found a 1992 4th gen prelude 5 speed in the junk yard and was wondering if that has all the parts on it to convert my 5th gen to a 5 speed. Thanks.

Specs from junk yard
1992 HONDA PRELUDE
DATE ON YARD: 3/27/2020

CLOSE
Style: Si 2dr Coupe
DriveType: FWD
Engine: 2.3L I4
Fuel Type: Gasoline
Color: White
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual Transmission

Can i use the ECU?
can I use the 5 speed from the si or does it need to be a normal one. Could I use a 5th gen sh 5 speed? There is one in another junk yard could I use the 5th gen sh ECU in my 5th gen non-sh. I have read and read I cant figure out where I need to stay away from when it comes to the certain ludes to not get trans and ECU from.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can't answer on your ECU question. Not sure there is a difference.
I would get the 5 speed from the 5th gen. I have one, BTW, but you seem to have that covered.
Red Tops nice, have had one in for 65- 70,000 miles. My H motors all use oil, oh well. Keep track of your oil and the motors last a long time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just thought about it a bit and realized the OBD 1 JDM setup is very different from the US OBD2 set up. I changed a LOT of things to make it so my H22A could run with the US spec ECU and all the OBD2 that came on the car in the US. If your car is running you will have to keep the ECU you have if you are running the OBD1 setup. If things are in a someday soon state you will have to decide how you want to proceed. I have a JDM OBD1 ECU. If you are wondering what you need to do to make the H22A run with OBD2 do some searches. There are several folks (myself included) who have written notes about what you have to do. It's been quite a few years, so it's no longer in the forefront of my memory. I do know I wanted to save some dollars and got aftermarket parts. This was a big mistake as they all failed (within 6 months and 5000 miles of each other- all around 40,000 miles out) and it was MUCH more work to replace them with the engine in the car. MUCH more work.

2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I can use the prelude sh 5th gen 5 speed in the lude for a swap? I thought it had atts and could not be used but can't find the info anywhere again. Ughh.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The ATTS is a totally different unit from the 5 speed. It goes between the tranny and the driveshaft. It has it's own standalone housing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts