Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what kind of light the driving light that comes on when you just have the parking lights on. On the same subject, has anyone figured out the use for these bulbs. The only thing I can come up with is for evening hours when the sun has completely gone down and you don't want to turn on your headlamps. If you have any suggestions please feel free to express yourself.

If we don't come up with a good reason, I will have to resort to Honda on this difficult question and dilemma, LOL!!!

------------------
Militaryhorn

·
OG
2,040 Posts
those city light bulbs are just run of the mill wedge bulbs, they sell them 2 for 8 or 9 bucks at most of those import performance stores.

as for using them, well, they didn't do enough for me during the sunset hours like you said, so we went and wired the front turn signals to go on too. now its fun to drive with just the parking lights on (not when it's too dark of course!
)

------------------
Raman
AIM: R Viper G
Viper's Lair
99 Pearl White SS
Mods

·
Registered
725 Posts
Not sure about other states, but in California, it's illegal to just drive with your parking lights on. Most cops will give you a flash, but you can get pulled over if the cop is an a$$.

My cop friend says it's because alot of idiots forget that their headlights aren't on when they're driving because their dash lights are on. Go figure.

------------------
'00 Prelude
Black 5spd

·
Registered
317 Posts
We have daytime running lights up here. The high beams are on at half power (or something like that) when you release your parking brake.

------------------
1999 Honda Prelude Base 5-Speed. Crystal Blue Metallic.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Buckwild:
Not sure about other states, but in California, it's illegal to just drive with your parking lights on. Most cops will give you a flash, but you can get pulled over if the cop is an a$$.

My cop friend says it's because alot of idiots forget that their headlights aren't on when they're driving because their dash lights are on. Go figure.
</font>
Typical California--pass a law against using a safety feature that was probably MANDATED BY LAW because they think the public is too stupid to use it properly.

Soniclude: Did you hook up the turn signal lights to the side marker or to the headlight? One wire should have done the trick, is that right?

------------------
This is a special week...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Those are the Type 168 "wedge" bulbs. Same ones in numerous places around the car like license plate light, map lights, trunk, side markers etc.

I use mine at dusk - when there's fading light but it's not too dark too see properly without headlights. They also help other people see you better too...

There's no law against driving with them at dusk/dawn here (FL) - driving here without the headlights at night is illegal.

One more thing I also use my park lights often if I'm stopped in a parking lot talking to someone at night, behind other people in a drive thru etc. My fogs are still on but I try not blind others if I'm not driving on the roadway and if I don't need to use the headlights.

------------------
Yum, VW GTIs for breakfast lunch and dinner...

·
Registered
725 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by eatsgti:
One more thing I also use my park lights often if I'm stopped in a parking lot talking to someone at night, behind other people in a drive thru etc. My fogs are still on but I try not blind others if I'm not driving on the roadway and if I don't need to use the headlights.

</font>
I wish damn SUV drivers would have that much consideration in drive thrus. Those behemonths ALWAYS blind me when I'm sitting waiting for my food. I try to angle my side view mirror so it directs the light back at them, but I'm not sure how effective it is.

------------------
'00 Prelude
Black 5spd

·
Registered
251 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pete:
Soniclude: Did you hook up the turn signal lights to the side marker or to the headlight? One wire should have done the trick, is that right?</font>
i'm not soniclude but this link shows you how to do it...i'm gonna do it in a couple of weeks i think...looks really sweet...

http://www.houstonprelude.com/mods/frontturn.htm

not as simple as just hooking up one wire...hope this helps...

------------------
99 Lude w/ Leather

·
OG
2,040 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ggweci:
not as simple as just hooking up one wire...
</font>
ggweci is right about that, altho those pictures on the link look pretty damn complicated.

pete, what i did with my buddies over the summer is use a relay (not sure what the number on it was, i can look it up if you want). basically take the incoming signal to the sidemarkers, and the incoming signal to the turns, and stick them both in the inputs. the sidemarker gets the same output it always gets, you're just using the "always on" signal it gets to effectively make the turn signals act OPPOSITE to what they normally do. the turn signals get the output that is affected by both inputs (sounds vague, i know, i wasn't the technical force behind this spare time mod
)

now, whenever the sides and the city lights get a power on signal (stage one or two lights), the fronts default to ON instead of OFF. what happened to the blinking, you ask? well, the usual power to the front turns is also in the relay, so output correctly and the turn signal blinks OFF-ON-OFF-ON instead of ON-OFF-ON-OFF (that leads to the opposite blink side effect). now they stay on when your lights are on, and blink when you tell them to.

only drawback(s): no blinking unless you turn the parking lights on. and you have to trick the system into blinking normal speed, cause with the relay not supplying any resistance the speed doubles. turbo blinkers annoy the crap outta me, so i put extra bulbs in the trunk and wired them to the circuit.

whew ok i'm done. looks great at dusk btw, like eatsgti said. look at ODL's sig if you need further proof.

------------------
Raman
AIM: R Viper G
Viper's Lair
99 Pearl White SS
Mods

·
Registered
697 Posts
I brought my car to a shop and they did it for me for 25 bucks. I was trying to do it by myself, but after i checked out Pepboys, those relays cost $9 each! that page says you need total of 5 relays, but the shop only used 2 relays, it does the same thing as on that page, when your parking lights or headlights are on, the front turn signals are on, it looks really good. I think there's a easier way to do this.

------------------
-- No Tune, No Life --
Michael Li
-- 1997 Prelude 5spd--

·
Registered
251 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mike2016:
I brought my car to a shop and they did it for me for 25 bucks. I was trying to do it by myself, but after i checked out Pepboys, those relays cost $9 each! that page says you need total of 5 relays, but the shop only used 2 relays, it does the same thing as on that page, when your parking lights or headlights are on, the front turn signals are on, it looks really good. I think there's a easier way to do this. </font>
but do your signals work when the lights are off or not?...becuase that what the diagram allows for...and i think that setup also makes the front signals alternate with the side markers at night (integra style)...that'd look very sweet...

------------------
99 Lude w/ Leather

·
Registered
162 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Buckwild:
I wish damn SUV drivers would have that much consideration in drive thrus. Those behemonths ALWAYS blind me when I'm sitting waiting for my food. I try to angle my side view mirror so it directs the light back at them, but I'm not sure how effective it is.

</font>
You (*GASP*) eat in your car?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts