Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you guys in for a doozy?? :eek: here goes...
About 2 months ago my engine in my 2000sh was replaced due to a faulty rod bearing.... about 5 months before that, i had my car dynoed via my vafc ...it made 179 hp and 141 lbs/ft of tq....and we got the fuel curve to stay right between 12.5 and 13.... vtec engagement at 4500....car ran ****ing great.... then came the hesitation problem about 1-2 months later.... at around 5200 rpm (according to my vafc) it seems to bogg down... kinda like a fuel cut then, picks back up and hauls ass till red line... mind you this only happens at WOT..... so i got the spark plugs replaced and they were BADDDD white... and i had just had my 60k service 2 months before.....damn honda..so that helped a little, then it came back...hummm....and that was the old engine!! then got the new engine...but i think all they switched out was the block...and they did an induction system cleaning? not too sure but honda threw it in b/c it was under the extended warranty.... and got the car back and the problem was still there!!!! so i thot something with the vafc.... played with it a bit, and can find no solution... i got magnecor spark plug wires, and that helped a little, but then came back strong.... i've tried ocatane booster a few times, and it seems to help?.... so now im stuck here with a new motor, same hesitation problems.... and no idea where to turn next? maybe a new fuel filter? maybe i need to check my plugs again to see how they look? maybe it has something to do with my vtec sylenoid? maybe im nuts and this hesitation is really just a memory of how my car used to take off at that rpm point before the vafc dyno tunning? i doubt it.... whatever it is, it's driving me up the wall!!!!!!!!!! puhhlezzz advise? :mad:

BTW... ive got the following relevent items on the car....(i'll leave off the race suspension and 15lbs 17inch wheels)

aem cai
dc header and exhaust
test pipe (odb2 workaround)
pulleys
magnecore wires
tuned vafc

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so ive rulled out the injectors b/c they were cleaned back to factoy specs duing the fuel induction system cleaning, along with the tb, and intake manifold and runners.... i've been reading up on other peoples same hesitation problem, has anyone found a real solution?

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
you shouldnt have your VTEC engagement point that low unless you have a JRSC..which from the list you dont....that may be the reason its bogging down???

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no check engine light, and the fuel filter is supposed to be good up to 110k miles...

When i had it dyno tuned, it made the most power lowering it to that.... but its not that kind of bog.... the vtec engages before that fine, but then it bogs and spudders from 5200 to 5500 acording to my vafc.... im going to check my spark plugs tonight to see how they look after only 2 months...if they are even slightly white or dark, i should know that something is wrong with the tunning,...
anybody ever use the vafc's unmatched fuel correction feature??? it used to be set at +1 both ways, then i put it to 0 when i started having this problem, but no help...humm... did i read somewhere that someone fixed this problem by cleaning their egr valve? how do i do that?

·
Registered
174 Posts
try setiing you VAFC back to the stock 5200 rpm VTEC ingagement point. Sounds like its sputtering right when it is supposed to ingage on a stock prelude. Either way it sounds like a tuning issue, but i dont know why it would occur 2 months later?

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
you should be able to just clean the screen on the fuel filter instead of replacing it. If you still have the problem after cleaning the fuel filter and setting the vtec engagement to 5200 rpm, then I'd take it back to Honda since its still under warranty and see if they can replace the top end.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'd check your A/F ratio on a dyno. I'm guessing your running pig rich when you hit 5200RPM.

·
Registered
398 Posts
you may have a bad O2 sensor(s). check those, and clean em off. if that doesn't work, try replacing them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for some input you guys.... I fixed it altogether now.... i played with my vafc settings, and sure enough at 5400 it was +2....i dropped it to 0 and no hesitation now....just smoooootthhh.... i swear i checked that once before.... take my advice.... dont ever let your friends drive your car without you, especially not when they were probably trying to show **** off, and pressed some wrong buttons!!!! like i said...thanks for the help guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts