Honda Prelude Online banner

55-shot--risk of detonation?

924 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  jmcn 
#1 ·
Is there much risk of detonation with a stock engine set-up (with a ZEX nitrous kit and ZEX plugs)...since there really isn't an easy way to retard the timing (right)?

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH (stock)
-15.4 @ 90.8 (finally! ;))

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com

See less See more
#2 ·
from what ive seen and know, i seriously feel 55 is VERY safe if u have plugs. i know so many people running low shots like 50-60 with basic stock internals with no problems. especially with a dry kit.

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
POWER OF THE SS BABY!
SS= Super Snail!!
There i go...
screen name: CBFORMULA

#4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malken00:
Don't use ZEX Plugs, they are worse than the everyday plugs you can buy at Wal-Mart for your car. Get one step colder NGK or Denso plugs.</font>
whoa!!!! why arent the zex plugs any good? are their claims that its ideal for F/I of all kinds false? im running with zex plugs right now. i thought they r colder than stock!? let me know asap!

[This message has been edited by Ng Luder (edited April 30, 2001).]

#6 ·
If anyone remembers an article in SCC, there was a 97 or 98 5th Gen SS that ran with 100 shots. he eventually blew his transmision, but he still runs that with a Mugen SH ECU. I heard that stock H22A4 engines can handle 100 shots. BTW, with 100 shots, you can look to run high 13's with street tires.

------------------

#7 ·
my good friend runs a zex 55 shot and hes running 13.8's with I/H/E/Pullies. Besides the massive amount of wheel spin he could do better. Stick with the Zex plugs...I've only heard perfect things from people who are running F/I BESIDES n20 and they swear by them.

peace

G
#8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ng Luder:
whoa!!!! why arent the zex plugs any good? are their claims that its ideal for F/I of all kinds false? im running with zex plugs right now. i thought they r colder than stock!? let me know asap!

[This message has been edited by Ng Luder (edited April 30, 2001).]
</font>
NG, I have heard at least 5 accounts of ZEX plugs where the lining inside of the plug actually dropped into the engine.. well, guess what happened next?

------------------
Malken00 - 2534
admin@honda-acura.net

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by trehlo:
People with nice cars need their own state.</font>

#10 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by H22A VTEC:
If anyone remembers an article in SCC, there was a 97 or 98 5th Gen SS that ran with 100 shots. he eventually blew his transmision, but he still runs that with a Mugen SH ECU. I heard that stock H22A4 engines can handle 100 shots. BTW, with 100 shots, you can look to run high 13's with street tires.

</font>
i remember it , it was a green lude and with the SS tranny and he pulled a 13.5 on the track with the the SS tranny. i found the magz. and he had AEM camgears, weapon R intake , DC sports headers, tanabe exhaust, and 100- shot dry systam. no internal mods.

#11 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malken00:
NG, I have heard at least 5 accounts of ZEX plugs where the lining inside of the plug actually dropped into the engine.. well, guess what happened next?

</font>
ur kidding me... but do u know any other good sources that say this is frequent? i always thought the zex plugs where great for F/I and over all well made

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.