Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By numerous requests, here is what I did to do the 5 lug conversion.

Here are the parts I used for the 5 lug converion on my 4th gen Si. To make it easier on everyone, I recommend getting the whole front and rear knuckle assembly from a 5th gen Prelude at a local wreckers. This way it is cheaper and more cost effective than searching specific parts. The knuckle assembly includes the hubs, bearings, rotors and calipers. This conversion is very similar to a 5 lug conversion on a Civic or Integra. The only difference is that the 4th gen Prelude does not require the rear lower control arms from a ITR since we have disc brakes already.

Here is a picture of the front knuckle assembly minus the rotor and caliper.

If you already have a VTEC model 4th gen, you will be able to use your existing caliper. As for ABS, you can use the existing abs sensors from the 4th gen.

Here are pictures of the front knuckle assembly in the car with the caliper, rotor and abs sensor in place.

As for the rear, the knuckle is also needed to make it easier to find at a wrecker and install. The rear brakes I used was from my 4th gen since they have the same part number. As of now I have no problems at all. Sorry but no pics of the rear.

Note: You cannot just swap the hubs because the measurements are different for both. The mounting surfaces have different tapers to them and have different lengths to them. Trust me on this, we inspected each part closely to see if this would work but it will not.

This swap was very easy to do when you have all the tools and parts. It was a straight bolt in affair. This surprised me and my buddies. People on this and other boards said that it was nearly impossible or not worth it.

The main reason I did this conversion was to upgrade my Si's stock brakes. I could've used a VTEC caliper and rotor, but not many wreckers here would let me purchase just the caliper. So I decided to just to do the 5 lug conversion. In the end, I was very pleased with the results. My brakes are so much better now. The bonus of this conversion is the wheel selection has greatly increased. I am now able to select specific offsets without worrying about rubbing issues.

Last notes.
Don't forget to bleed the brakes. Right now I'm using Motul brake fluid and it works excellent. Also have several cotter pins handy, we don't want the suspension coming apart while driving. 5 lug wheels are also needed as well as a spare. As of now, I don't have a 5th gen spare, but I don't mind. If you are lucky with finding the parts, the conversion shouldn't cost that much at all. An example of this is finding the wheels extremely cheap. I got my wheels for $100CDN. :D As for the rotors and calipers, get the rotors machined and the caliper rebuilt if necessary. I think that is all.

One more thing. Have fun in this project and good luck in finding the necessary parts. It took me a few months to find the parts because there were not many wrecked 5th gens at my local wreckers.

Many thanks go out to Gerard, Paulo and Steve at Keep Performancelab.

Pics of the final product can be seen in the next post.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Wow, that car looks niiiiiice with the 5th gen wheels. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Nice....sh!t:bow::bow:. I also wish I had money to burn for the swap and rims.:( But, who knows.
The stock 5th gen wheels actually looks good on the 4th gen.:bigthumb: :D
I say mad props to u for actually doing it.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Nice pics. I'm doing the same thing. I just need to find some money for the wheels now. Hard to find some good priced SH wheels. *sigh*

·
KG6TWI
1,796 Posts
I wonder what the differance is for a 4th gen w/ 4WS...

I would probabally have to source rear hubs from a 5th gen 4WS from the UK, Japan or AUS.

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
droooooooool omg

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks fellow 4th genners.

treniew7 - The lip is a Spoon or a replica of a Spoon lip. I can't really say it's the real deal because I don't know if it is. My friends and I saw it on a JDM front clip at a local wrecker. As for getting another one, contact our moderator Satan_SRV. He is making excellent quality replicas.

·
hoop 4 life.
482 Posts
looks great.

good job man.

·
Registered
247 Posts
your car is sweet man, nice and clean.

i'm thinking about going 5 lug

·
Registered
247 Posts
DAMN! i still cant get over it
the 5th gen rims looks soooo good on the 4th gen....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts