Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First im danish og this is my first post. Hope you can read this :rolleyes:

I have a prelude 97 4ws. but the 4ws is not working, I have a yellow light i the car says 4ws. I have try too reset the car and then it is working, but maby for only 20min. and next time i reset only 3min?? it is a sencor that i maby need too replace??? if you have a picture off the cencor it whout by great..

or is there a guide too see whats wrong.

Martin Andersen
Denmark:)

·
Merovingeon
561 Posts
we cant help you, we dont have 4ws on our preludes....take it to a dealer to diagnose

·
Registered
24 Posts
I guess it's lucky that I have 4WS and can help then! :D

Ok, first things first before you start replacing expensive sensors I would reccomend resetting both the ABS and 4WS systems, using the following:

Reset ABS Codes
1. Apply the hand brake.
2. Short the service connector pins with a paper clip or something similar.
2. Press the brake pedal and hold.
3. Turn the ignition key to the second position (not starting the car).
4. When the ABS light goes out take your foot off the brake.
5. The light will come back on, press the brake pedal again and hold.
6. After the light goes out, release the pedal.
7. The light will blink twice to indicate the DTC code was erased.

Reset 4WS Codes
1. Apply the hand brake.
2. Short the service connector pins with a paper clip or something similar.
3. Turn the steering wheel to CLOCKWISE (right) 45-65 degrees and hold it that way.
4. Turn the ignition switch to II (on) position but DON'T start your engine.
-- You'll see that all your warning lights will go on and off, don't pay attention to them. --
5. After your 4WS light goes OFF, turn the steering wheel to CENTRE (turn it left) position within 4 seconds and hold it still.
6. When your 4WS light turns ON, turn your steering wheel CLOCKWISE again to 45-60 degrees and hold still (again within 4 seconds).
7. When the 4WS light goes OFF, turn the wheel to the centre position again within 4 seconds and hold it still.
8. If your 4WS light blinks TWICE then you succeeded.
If it stays on after this that means you failed, so simply turn the ignition off and go back to step one and try again. The tricky part with this procedure is that you should do all the steering inputs within 4 seconds so keep it in mind.
If you succeeded, turn your ignition off, remove the short on the service connector, start your engine and check if it's working.
This may look complicated but it is very easy, it only takes a few minutes.

Do the ABS first, and then the 4WS. Go for a 10 minute drive, stop, turn the engine off and then back on and see if it throws an error again!

As you can see i've had to do this a few times before, and have avoided buying expensive sensors ;)

Any questions - Just ask! :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
hey will are you from america. I was just wondering because I wanna get a aws prelude and don't know where to find one. I'm looking for a left side driver seat prelude. I heard that canada has aws fifth gen preludes but i haven't been able to verify that. do you know where i can find one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey will are you from america. I was just wondering because I wanna get a aws prelude and don't know where to find one. I'm looking for a left side driver seat prelude. I heard that canada has aws fifth gen preludes but i haven't been able to verify that. do you know where i can find one.
Hi mate,

I'm from the UK so wouldn't have a clue where to suggest looking... I guess Canada may have had them, most of europe + asia did so I guess they would too!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
canada didn't get the 4ws i don't believe. that was for europe, australia, and japan.

for reasons i can't explain, since north america has all the climates and terrains of all three of those regions mashed into one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
True... but typically speaking the roads are much larger in north america so you wouldn't really need the extra turning circle, plus you don't have loads of small bendy roads, which are the main reason(s) why 4WS was invented!

·
Registered
3 Posts
canada didn't get the 4ws i don't believe. that was for europe, australia, and japan.

for reasons i can't explain, since north america has all the climates and terrains of all three of those regions mashed into one.
I've got a 1993 Honda Prelude SR 4WS. It was purchased new from Huntclub Honda in Ottawa and I inherited it from the original owner. I've got all original paperwork of one and only sale and work that has ever been done to the car. Never winter driven except for one year and has been regularly crowned. It has been stored during the winters. Sunroof, AC, power windows, ash trays ;) ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a 1993 Honda Prelude SR 4WS. It was purchased new from Huntclub Honda in Ottawa and I inherited it from the original owner. I've got all original paperwork of one and only sale and work that has ever been done to the car. Never winter driven except for one year and has been regularly crowned. It has been stored during the winters. Sunroof, AC, power windows, ash trays ;) ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts