Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of doing a 4ws project on my 5th gen, but i had a quick question for those with more knowledge than myself. will the 4th gen 4ws components (actuator, subframe, tie rod arms) fit on a 5th gen, or will i have to get the components from a 4ws edm 5th gen?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
i don't know for a fact but i believe you'll have to get 5th gen parts. the 5th gen frame and suspension is similar but different in areas that wont be friendly with a 4th gen 4ws system (i think).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, ive been wondering about it for awhile, and it dosent seem to be that difficult of a project once all the correct parts are located, im just curious of the similarities between the 4th and 5th gen subframes, im having difficulty finding evidence to show any difference (or similarities) between them

·
4ce fed H22
1,041 Posts
There actually is a 5th gen with 4ws. It was only sold in Europe I believe. There is a member on PO with a beauty. BB6 something or other, I'm bad with names.

good luck!

edit: just read your post closer. its been a long day back to work lol. I think the 4th gen would be a huge PITA. just try for the 5th gen :bigthumb:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There actually is a 5th gen with 4ws. It was only sold in Europe I believe. There is a member on PO with a beauty. BB6 something or other, I'm bad with names.

good luck!
thanks, i know some of the edm ludes (and some jdm?) came with 4ws (stated in the first post) but the question is will the 4th gen setup work on a 5th gen (with as little modification as possible) or if some custom fabrication is necessary.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
edit: just read your post closer. its been a long day back to work lol. I think the 4th gen would be a huge PITA. just try for the 5th gen :bigthumb:
lol i know the feeling, if i can afford the 5th gen parts (shipping from europe will be a PITA) il do it for sure

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you decide to do this just make sure and take your time because my friend did a 4ws conversion on his 3rdgen and it drives sideways now and looks pretty funny

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you decide to do this just make sure and take your time because my friend did a 4ws conversion on his 3rdgen and it drives sideways now and looks pretty funny
yeah this wont be a project that will be slapped together, il be taking my time... and my prelude did the same thing after i attempted a powerslide while it was raining and hit a curb :smoker:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've owned a 2WS JDM 4th gen and a couple of UK 4WS 5th gens, including my current late Motegi 4WS H22A8 BB8. Based on that experience, I don't think I'd embark on a 4WS conversion. Although it's great being able to do a U turn in the road like a London Cab, you seem to pay for this with a fair amount of extra weight. My JDM 4th had the same power as my current 5th gen, but feels a whole lot quicker and more responsive. Personally, I'd rather have a 2WS 5th gen with an LSD. The fact Honda went down a similar (though better) route with Type S ATTS models suggests that it's ultimately a better approach.

If you do decide to go ahead, most (possibly all?) UKDM VTEC models had 4WS, so you should be able to pick parts up relatively easily in the UK (one breaking here - not sure if you'll need to register and the 4WS ECU has already been sold). Now's a very good time to buy from the UK, as the exchange rate is very heavily in your favour, but you'll probably want to arrange shipping from the US, as UK couriers charge a fortune to ship to the US :(

If you need to see anything on the car, send me a PM and I can always grab shots of anything easily accessible like the subframe, etc if it helps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've owned a 2WS JDM 4th gen and a couple of UK 4WS 5th gens, including my current late Motegi 4WS H22A8 BB8. Based on that experience, I don't think I'd embark on a 4WS conversion. Although it's great being able to do a U turn in the road like a London Cab, you seem to pay for this with a fair amount of extra weight. My JDM 4th had the same power as my current 5th gen, but feels a whole lot quicker and more responsive. Personally, I'd rather have a 2WS 5th gen with an LSD. The fact Honda went down a similar (though better) route with Type S ATTS models suggests that it's ultimately a better approach.

If you do decide to go ahead, most (possibly all?) UKDM VTEC models had 4WS, so you should be able to pick parts up relatively easily in the UK (one breaking here - not sure if you'll need to register and the 4WS ECU has already been sold). Now's a very good time to buy from the UK, as the exchange rate is very heavily in your favour, but you'll probably want to arrange shipping from the US, as UK couriers charge a fortune to ship to the US :(
current late, as in recently sold or recently deceased? and im not really worried about the added weight, my car is heavy as it is and its not much different than having an extra passenger in the vehicle.
im on preludeuk so il take a look at that! thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
current late, as in recently sold or recently deceased?
No, current late as in one of the last ones sold here in the UK, ie. late model. The last (99 onwards) UK models sold were a special edition with the 200bhp H22A8 out of the Euro Accord Type R, different gear ratios, full factory Motegi body kit and the odd extra like heated seats, etc. Took me forever to find a good one, so I'm not parting with it in a hurry :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts