Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 prelude vtec (4th gen) with OEM stereo w CD option as well. the stereo system has full speaker setup w the sub between two back seats ect....

i want to replace it with the newer style 5th gen OEM stereo...can it be done? does anyone happen to have one? thanks!

·
Unregistered User
4,287 Posts
Plugs are different. If you really wanted to make it happen you could do it with some rewiring. Any reason why you want to do this? The new unit won't sound any better. Might as well get an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
replacing it cause its on fritz...sometimes works then dies. aftermarket is a pain cause i have the 6 spk setup w sub so would have to rewire it all to bypass the factory amp

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
replacing it cause its on fritz...sometimes works then dies. aftermarket is a pain cause i have the 6 spk setup w sub so would have to rewire it all to bypass the factory amp
You don't have to bypass the factory amp with many aftermarket head units. But doing so might just be worthwhile if you're thinking about putting a 5th gen head unit in and having to rewire that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have been told the 99-01 stereo will be compatible w my 96 DSP system....
and as far as aftermarket, the stereo shops have all told me its a big bill...they told me i have to bypass the factory amp. i dunno...not much of a stereo guy, maybe i should just try and find another 4th gen style. haha. just want some tunes going in the car

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anybody know if a 5th gen (2000) OEM stereo will work in replacement of my OEM stereo in my 4th gen? thanks guys

·
H22-Turbo 4WS Beast
1,384 Posts
get pics of the back of one, compare it to what you have.

I guess I dont understand why you have to bypass the amp. PAC, metra, and peripheral are your friends. If I were you, and I understand not everyone cares about the same stuff I do, save ~$500 and get a 5-channel amp, new components, and coaxials. If you have money left over, put a sub in the trunk and run it off that 5th channel. It will sound 100x better than that stock setup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all good ideas....i guess im a simple kind of man who wants to keep it stock and not much into big stereos. haha. also, im thinking of selling the car next year so like to try and keep it simple as far as wiring. going to check w Honda to see if they have a wiring harness that will make my life simple:) thanks for ur advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts