Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to swap the factory US steering wheel to a factory Honda wheel so I can keep my airbag. I've seen the Type S wheel and I like that as well as the S2000 wheel. Now someone was saying that the SH in Canada has teh three spoke wheel as well. Is this true? Any pics of it? And does it have the CC controls on it as well?

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
Yeah, I would definately be interested in getting one...

------------------
If you only knew the power of the Lude...
'98 Red Base Prelude
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - SCCA Solo2
AEM CAI, APEX-i VAFC, Neuspeed Ft Up Strut Bar, 28 mm Neuspeed RR Sway Bar, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, and SH RR Deck installed. Shock knock cure done. Installing Quaife ATB Differential.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My Australian-spec 5th Gen has the three spoke wheel standard. I would guess that the US-spec car has a bigger four spoke wheel because you would have a bigger, faster inflating airbag. It is law that you have to wear a seatbelt here in Australia, so we can away with an airbag as a supplemental restraint system (which is what they're desgined to be).

·
I don't believe in Titles
3,081 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ILoveMyLude:
My Australian-spec 5th Gen has the three spoke wheel standard. I would guess that the US-spec car has a bigger four spoke wheel because you would have a bigger, faster inflating airbag. It is law that you have to wear a seatbelt here in Australia, so we can away with an airbag as a supplemental restraint system (which is what they're desgined to be).</font>
That might be true, however the s2000 in North America is a 4 spoke - as is the Celica's. It's just a dfesign joice IMHO. BTW, do you have two buttons on your steering wheel as well (cruise control)?

[This message has been edited by 5Gen_Prelude (edited April 14, 2001).]

·
Registered
273 Posts
S2000's have a 3 spoke. You can check Honda's website. I guess it could be different for Canada.

------------------
'99 Milano Red Prelude 5spd (In Atlanta)

'90 Accord EX 4 door (In Ithaca w/ me)

AP-Signworks.com
ABSOLUTE POWER

·
Registered
898 Posts
Have you guys checked out the steering wheel off the Insight??? I think that they look great as well. Similar looking to the S2K wheel. Anybody know if this will fit with little to no modification?

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is the original Prelude steering wheel in Europe, yes it has CC buttons.

------------------
97 2.2 VTI (European spec)
Sports shift & 4WS

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you look at the insight, and the s2k's steering wheel's, they are pretty much the same EXCEPT FOR. . . the leather wrapping that the s2k gets to match the sporty feel of the car. The concern I have with doing a swap with the three spoke from either of the cars, is that the steering wheel's diameter is much smaller than the stock 4-spoke, and may give you visability issues with the layout of the gauges. I'v got some brauny hands, and I've thought about it and my hands would block about a quarter of the tach and the speedo. Both cars come with digital displays that require less dash space, allowing for a smaller steering wheel. Even the U.S. teg type r just gets the LS wheel with leather wrapping (It is really poor quality too, It feels so thick, and looks cheap because it isn't integrated into the wheel like the lude's is). Either way the wheel will cost an arm and a leg, I imagine, because the cars are built in Japan only. If they build the rsx here, that may be a wheel to consider.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Actually i took another look at it...and it's not THAT hot. I just like how there's a thicker section @ 10 and 2.

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber

FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims.
Used for 2k miles. $600+shipping.
New JDM H3C bulbs $50

1 - 16 of 16 Posts