Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so obviously the 2010 Infiniti G37 xS has much more power and torque and should kill me in a race. However, I raced my friend (the owner of the infiniti) on the 401 at speeds of 140-180 km/h from Scarborough all the way to Milton (where we were heading). He wasnt able to keep up with me.. .!!! I was surprised by this... I was mostly in 4th gear going all the way to redline and he was right behind me.. but kept the same car distance... !!! ... I would of expected him to just dust me. He has an automatic and he wasnt using sports shift... I am suspecting that since we were cutting through traffic a lot and required braking and than accelerating, he wasnt shifting down after breaking and just continued to press the gas which would of probably took him long to get higher revs and thus was able to keep up but not surpass me. Maybe if he shifted down after breaking, he would of been able to accelerate faster. So anyways, he is not confident in his car anymore as I told him that if i beat him again... he had to return his car to the dealer..lol.. and he was like no i wont... (showing signs of not being confident)... .. anyways he has challenged me to a 0-60 mph drag race.. and since he doesnt have a manual.. he doesnt know how to launch the car... most likely he will just press the pedal all the way and let the car do w.e it can... .. so i was wondering... what if i launched my prelude at around 4000-5000 rpm without dropping the cluth so fast (slight wheel spin)? I noticed the prelude hits 100 km/h at the end of 2nd.. which is pretty much all i need, dont have to shift to 3rd gear, as the race will be done. Would this advantage of launching the car + him having a automatic be enough for me to atleast stay side by side with him ? or even at his bumper?... or would it be a better idea if instead of the 0-60 race, we go on the highway, roll at 120 km/h where im sure he would be in a higher gear, than race up to around 180 km/h. The idea behind this is that, I can shift down to 4th while he would not shift down and just press the pedal.. which might actually declare me the winner...

Just wanted to prove him that my 2001 SE Honda Prelude stock can make him look like his investment in a "drag" car was just lame.... I dont care if he beats me.. just have to stay close with him... and also its the driver that counts.. not the car right? unless it was a prelude vs corvette. Also, his 0-60 is 2 seconds faster, both of us being not professionals, and me having a bit more experience with racing and how to actually get the most power out of my prelude, would this 2 seconds vanish due to inexperienced error on his side? (as in him not knowing how to push the car to its full potential)

Thanks for the help in advance.

Im from Canada, for those that dont know Scarborough and Milton, its like 50 km away.

·
No Fat Chicks
97 Posts
Lucky you didn't get pulled over / car taken away. Rules here blow when it comes to speeding let alone street racing.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
get a search intake. mad horsepower gain, most the members here would agree. Arguably the best mod for a prelude.

·
Registered
103 Posts
thats a pretty bad ass motivational story man lol. I would say minimal wheel spin is best. 5k is just about optimal in my opinion because if you go with little wheel spin youll be in VTEC right after you get going. (It will drop a bit once its in gear) hit second as fast as possible but dont just dump your clutch. (second can get squirly too. at least in my 96) thats how youre going to get your best 0-60. also take out any subs in the trunk + spare tire and other crap you can easily take out. every bit counts. I would imagine youre running prime already so throw some octane booster in if you feel thats a good idea. run him on about a 8th of a tank of gas and if possible from a 20mph roll. you would get a huge jump on him because you would be in first right at 5k and his auto slush box would probably be in 4th or 5th. Sorry for the detailed post hope it helps. good luck man :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Race Day ?

So today is suppose to be the race day... thanks for all your help guys. I have to get an oil changed at honda, it way over due date. I am going to try the 20mph roll as it seems to make the most sense. Will let you know how it goes !! Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Believe it or not.. this is what happened.:D

Remember the infiniti is automatic. We did a 30 km/h to 100 km/h race 4 times.
The first time, I didnt shift to 2nd gear properly and so i ACTUALLY stayed side by side with him. The other 3 races, i did shift properly, a little bit of tire squeal on the shift, but i EFFIN BEAT HIM...:bigthumb::eek: U don't believe me, try it yourself with someone u know that has the infiniti. ALL 3 times I BEAT HIM, but I can tell that at the end of 2nd gear (when the prelude reaches 100 km/h).. his power is going to push hard, but TOO bad the race is over. So be proud cuz this is a STOCK prelude.... so then he wanted to do 0 to 100 km/h.. so we gave that just 1 TRY as we were heating up the area with so many runs already. I put it up at 5000 rpm and didn't properly let down the clutch, a LOT of wheel spin, but i managed to be at his back doors when we hit 100 km/h. SO THE PRELUDE ACTUALLY KEPT UP... But after 100 km/h, there is NO CHANCE for the prelude. DON'T MATTER CUZ THE RACE WAS ALWAYS UP TO 100 km/h. Then there was 1 more race, ACURA TL 2010 full package top of the line vs the infiniti, the infiniti beat it. The auto TL has no chance, by the way the two 2010 cars are brothers (rich guys indeed).

KillerTiger -- love my prelude ! and by the way, i didnt get a oil change either ! Boo Yah!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah...I am not positive how the g35/g37 compare, but my cousin got a g35...No way my prelude could touch it. Now he never smoked me...but those are very fast cars. His was stick shift too though. Those can drag, drift, circuit, anything. I love them.

·
Amanda's biatch
2,018 Posts
I have raced a manual G35 before. It was stock though. So it wasnt fair at all.. :) Nice races! :) I believe you. I have driven an auto G37 coupe before.. It feels hesitant at first, then it GOES. But I could see it losing possibly, because I wasn't too impressed when driving it.. I would love to have one in manual though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the four door g37 type s is also like 400 pounds more heavier than the prelude SE , which is lighter and faster in a straight against the SH model. ... but yea in longer straight line race , the prelude would loose but the point was acceleration .. and it def. is not as fast compared to other cars you can buy used for that price range... and def. not as FAST as people think it is... at least with the automatic slush box and a bad driver behind it (maybe) ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts