Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1000 miles into break-in

Well overall the car feels great! No problems so far.

Impressions:

- My exhaust is too loud (Greddy Power Extreme), I really hate it on the highway, but it's fine in town I guess...I need to make it quieter or something.

- Crower Stage 3 cams - nice we have to bump the idle to about 1000rpms to keep it from stalling when you pop the clutch to decelerate. Now the idle catches it before it stalls. Power-wise from 4000-5000rpms the idle lobes feel almost like VTEC becuase they are agressive...car pulls really nicely. I've hit VTEC a couple times just to engage it and didn't have any problems. idle sounds normal...like I have a stock car :)

- Overall I am very happy about the car except for the exhaust...I may try something else just to get the noise down.
 

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
Joined
·
6,152 Posts
why would the car stall when you pop the clutch declerating??is that a product of the lift of the cams or something????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya basically when you pop the clutch with an ultralight flywheel the revs drop fairly quick....becasue of the lift on the idle lobes when the throttle plate opens to bring some air in to bump the rpms the engine dies because the lift doesn't create power and just like sucks wind and can't bring the car up. you raise the idle speed and there's enough room to save it in time.

That's my understadning of it anyway
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
does your exhaust haev a silencer? my 5zigen fireball has a silence that i put in and out depending on my mood for noise. i keep it in the truck with a wrench to put it in and out. there is a noticable power decrease on top end with it in, but usually i just put it in when i know i have to drive on teh highway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vector4 said:
does your exhaust haev a silencer? my 5zigen fireball has a silence that i put in and out depending on my mood for noise. i keep it in the truck with a wrench to put it in and out. there is a noticable power decrease on top end with it in, but usually i just put it in when i know i have to drive on teh highway.
If I can get one I will! What does it look like? Think they make them for the GReddy? Where does it go?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,568 Posts
there is no silencer made for the Greddy PE. Suck it up joel, with great power comes some sacrifice!!! :) I'm sure it sounds mean!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,285 Posts
My Greddy PE isnt that loud at all. Its very quiet on the highway unless you lay into the throttle.

I want dyno plots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,285 Posts
Come to think about it, WTF are you doing on the highway anyways. You supposed to do city driving to break that thing in!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,568 Posts
my pe is fairly loud on the highway when i tap the throttle. Could be my 2.5" cat contributing to the noise too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4bidden said:
Come to think about it, WTF are you doing on the highway anyways. You supposed to do city driving to break that thing in!!
I vary the rpms by 1000's of rpms at a time....that's why it's a very annoying time on the highway..running through sweeps across the rpms range is so crap! That's why I find it so loud
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tony said:
my pe is fairly loud on the highway when i tap the throttle. Could be my 2.5" cat contributing to the noise too.
That's what I mean...steady state is fine....just the acceleration and deceleration which annoys me...in the city it's no big deal I just keep the rpms down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
GOD DAMN MOTHER****ING DYNO IT!!!!! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,589 Posts
are you not running the qtec?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
Im waiting to capitalize on your mistakes fool!So hurry it up! lol :p
 

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
Joined
·
6,152 Posts
Satan_SRV said:
ya basically when you pop the clutch with an ultralight flywheel the revs drop fairly quick....becasue of the lift on the idle lobes when the throttle plate opens to bring some air in to bump the rpms the engine dies because the lift doesn't create power and just like sucks wind and can't bring the car up. you raise the idle speed and there's enough room to save it in time.

That's my understadning of it anyway
kinda OT: will this happen with a lightweight flywheel even tho i dont have cams???
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top