Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are they "roller" rockers or not? (not sure if my terms are correct..so no bashing)

I called my dealer just to get a price on a valve job. They said.. "none needed on your car, the valves NEVER need to be adjusted". So I said, BS!..cause i'm looking at the Helm right now and it clearly has instructions for adjusting the valves. So the serv. dept's "Master Tech" said.. "Nope, you've got "roller rockers" on that engine (post 99 models) and it never needs adjusting. I said this engine doesn't have rollers, and ended the phone call!

What the f*ck is wrong with my dealer...are they stupid dumbsh*ts, or am I wrong????

Btw, valve job on '97-'98 models is $84.

2000 base 5spd

[This message has been edited by Kool-Lude (edited April 05, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I did notice that the maintenance schedule said it isn't necessary until 105000 miles or "when noisy" or something, but I imagine it can be done whenever, and there's not that much different between the 97-98 and 99-01 valvetrain, I can only thinking of a different..uh.. floater spring (?? is that what it's called?
someone will have to correct me), but the rockers are the same. I believe the maintenance schedule says more often for the 97-98's, but people do them way more often than the manual suggests. If it makes rapid clicking, then it might need it, and a decent tech would know that upon hearing it in person.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gLudeous:
I did notice that the maintenance schedule said it isn't necessary until 105000 miles .</font>

My dealer told me the difference between the "tune-ups" between the 97-98 and 99+ is the newer 5th Gens have an expected life of 105K on their timing belts as opposed to 90K on the earlier models. She told me she'd almost bet it was the same part but another marketing ploy to make it sound like a 100K ZERO maintenance car.

I'll change mine at 70k no matter what they say.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kool-Lude:
the serv. dept's "Master Tech" said.. "Nope, you've got "roller rockers" on that engine (post 99 models) </font>
Thanks for the replies..

Can anyone confirm (w/out uncertainty) whether our engines have rollers or standard rocker arms? I just want some factual info. so I can call my dealer back and YELL at them for being WRONG, once again.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gLudeous:
I can only thinking of a different..uh.. floater spring (?? is that what it's called?
someone will have to correct me),
</font>

Lost motion assembly

------------------

99 Pearlwhite Sportshift
15.45 @ 92.37

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kool-Lude:
Thanks for the replies..

Can anyone confirm (w/out uncertainty) whether our engines have rollers or standard rocker arms? I just want some factual info. so I can call my dealer back and YELL at them for being WRONG, once again.
</font>
No, solid valve rockers (on my 98 at least).

Why don't you pull the valve cover off and check for yourself?

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

1 - 7 of 7 Posts