Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning, everyone. As you can see from my sig, I am working on my sister-in-law's 99 Prelude. quick back story: she wants a fast car. she isn't stupid; and knows going faster involves needing to stop faster, and she actually knows how to inspect her car (she actually checks her oil during gas fill ups). she just isn't mechanically inclined enough to do the work herself. (or knows my brother and I will do the work for her:rolleyes:).

About a month ago, she bought some 17s and everything fit fine. we put a SSBC front big brake kit on her car last night, and it looks and fit awesome. we threw the wheels back on, and they fit. we spun the wheels (as everyone does once its on), and they spun fine.
Until the weights balancing the wheel hit the caliper. :cry: now those weights arent very tall, maybe an eighth of an inch, and we are going to take them to be re-balanced, with the weights out of the way.
My question:
Will having so little clearance from the caliper to the wheel cause any problems? I am unsure how much the wheels can flex, if she hits a big pothole, or whatever, and I don't want anything to get damaged if it can be by normal driving, that she wouldn't notice.

Thanks,
Ben.

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
There is some wheel flex and it could cause some scratching (but shouldn't really affect the performance of anything).

You sure did put some big brakes for the car. Is she going to be road racing the car? I ask because bbk's really don't technically help you brake shorter, it had more to do with brake fade (which isn't a problem in normal daily driving). The stock prelude brakes are very very adequate. I know because there are people who road race on stock calipers with race pads and they are obviously fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sure did put some big brakes for the car. Is she going to be road racing the car? I ask because bbk's really don't technically help you brake shorter, it had more to do with brake fade (which isn't a problem in normal daily driving).
thanx for the response.

I am not entirely sure why she wanted a bbk. maybe partly to fill in the gap that stock brakes leave?
she may decide to race her car; again, I am not entirely sure of her goals. I just know she wants to go/stop fast.

another question, since we have established there shouldn't be any real problems; she wants to upgrade the rear brakes, now too. I was thinking there may be a cheap way to reuse the stock size rotors from the front by getting a bracket to move the rear caliper out; anyone done this? (just a random thought, that brackets would be cheaper that a big brake kit.) or reusing the old front calipers with a bracket.

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
well see that's the thing,

on kits i've seen for my car, they offer only bbk fronts or bbk fronts/rears because the braking bias will change. I have to assume most bbk makers know this and just upgrade the fronts and keep the oem bias.

I would honestly only change the front but again, if you're going for looks, I could assume you could get bigger rotors, it would just look odd with an oem rear caliper as they are small. Most of the braking is done up front too.

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts
The BBKs that I have looked at only have the front setup. Nothing really for the rear. For the rear, pads and rotors will be fine.

IMHO, BBKs are pretty much for looks if you aren't doing much with the car. Pads, rotors, and driver skill are what you should look at. I have a BBK. I do not track the car nor have I modified the engine. It really was a waste of money and I should have took other's opinion on pads and rotors instead of a full BBK. Like petern said, most of the track and autox guys use only pads and rotors. In autox, IIRC, you will be bumped up a class because you have a BBK (don't quote me on this but I vaguely remember an autox friend telling me this).

The other issue would be using rims that clear the caliper size. I was lucky and purchased a used set from another member who had a BBK - his were custom made. Not many rims clear BBKs that well and there are a couple members who have this issue and their resolve were to use spacers which is not ideal.

Pads and rotors equal about half the cost of a BBK, depending on the type of pads and rotors. You won't have any issues fitting any rim that you so please.

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts
turd! I was speaking in regards to the pwayloooddd mang! :chase: :laugh: get back in your smelly shoe. :laugh: :runsandhides:

·
Registered
359 Posts
A friend recently bought a salvage integra, and the calipers AND the rotors were painted red... I don't understand some people!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry, i almost forgot about this thread...
we painted the stock calipers red which looked good with the black paint, but she has recently decided to re-spray the car, I think she said purple. ugh. I am color blind, and know that won't work x(.

main reason we were wanting to know about the bracket is because of looks. the front is filled in nicely, but the back is wanting. we already have upgraded pads and rotors in the back, so I know stopping won't be an issue.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't Power Slot do larger rotors with brackets to re-use the stock callipers/pads? If all you want is to fill the gap, then that should do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts