Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to choose between the two
both auto, give me pros and cons for each and which is more reliable?

·
Chevy 350 swapped Prelude
3,182 Posts
NO WAY on the auto lude man, have you not read anything on this site about auto lude's? The tranny's have 100% failure rates...PERIOD. If you wan't a lude, get a stick, only.

As for the rsx, well, this is more opinion: if you're going to waste your money on an rsx, you might as well get the type-s, which has a six speed in it.... but actually, it's your money, do what you want.

Other info we could use:

1)how much milage on either car?

2)How much are they going for?

3)what are you looking to spend?

4)what are you planning to do(you want a stock daily driver, or do you want a tuned out street racer?)?

...do some searching on the auto ludes, and unless it has less than 30K miles on it, I'd say don't do it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Auto for auto I'd go with the RSX as well, I dont agree on a 100% failure rate by any means however there's no doubt the SS trans in the lude sucks donkey balls. Personally I'd buy a manual trans base model lude, if you dont know how to drive manual now is the time to learn. You'll never enjoy either car as much as you could if you bought one in manual.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought a Lude over an RSX because IMO it looks a ton more like a sports car. The RSX looks like a glorified Civic, which isn't necessarily bad, just not terribly sporty.

·
3,182 Posts
I dont agree on a 100% failure rate by any means however there's no doubt the SS trans in the lude sucks donkey balls.
I thought they did? Who do you know has an auto lude that lasted as long as a stick. I really thought that was fact.

My bad.

Chris17--Still, I think you should just be more patient and wiat for a stick version of either to come around. You will regret it big time if you buy the auto lude. and the rsx, well, at least it may have a better rep, but you might want to go onto an rsx forum for that....

·
The Cheeze
1,704 Posts
I thought they did? Who do you know has an auto lude that lasted as long as a stick. I really thought that was fact.

My bad.

Chris17--Still, I think you should just be more patient and wiat for a stick version of either to come around. You will regret it big time if you buy the auto lude. and the rsx, well, at least it may have a better rep, but you might want to go onto an rsx forum for that....
Define 100% failure? :confused:

99.9% of auto trans will eventually fail. My Grand Prix Auto died at 103k. :shrug:

·
3,182 Posts
Define what i meant by 100% falure rate? Well, I thought that all the auto ludes had extra weak trannys, thus they don't last as long under the same conditions as the tranny that was properly bilt(I assume they did something wrong when designing/building the ludes tranny).

That is what I meant, not that they will all fail because that is just the way it is...but that they will all fail prematurely for resons that wouldn't be an issue in a properly build/designed transmission.

But like I should've said, I'm willing to learn, and if I was wrong(or variably wrong), then I take back what I said and now realize not all of the auto trannys in 5th gen ludes were built inferior, or however you would phrase it...

---oh, and sunnyde, sorry, but 70K miles aint ****, at least not to me, but then again, my car has 185K, thats what I consider a lot of milage(anything over 130K is high)....however, I have heard of people with ludes with failing trannys at 25-48K miles, so who knows, maybe you're one of the luck ones...hell, I talked to a randome woman the other day that had an old oxidized 97 auto with I think 133K, and she said that she had never had any problems in any way, whatsoever......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'd love to get standard even though I don't know how to drive one yet, I'm sure I can learn but I'll be sharing this car with the family so it's probably gonna be an auto. It isn't really for racing but who knows, I might get into it when I start driving more.

here's the Lude I'm looking at (it still says $15888 on there but it's actually around $12-13k)
01 Lude since the link isn't working, heres info on it: red ext, blk leather int, 78k mileage, I've test driven it and everything seems to be in very good condition
and here are the RSX's I'm looking at
RSX1
RSX2 <-- seems a bit suspicious

·
3,182 Posts
Dude, just saying from a "hype" standpoint, You probably shouldn't pay more than $10K for any car that has such a bad rep as an auto lude. It is simple, I just don't want you to get skrewed, so you to fully understand something:

If/when your auto tranny were to break, it WILL cost as little as $1.5K to over $2.2K to fix it, you might want to ask yourself if you want such a price tag, and if you do ge tthat lude, you want to stash away acouple grand just-in-case.

I don't see what is so suspicious about the rsx, but just to be safe, get a carfax. Do they have carfax in Canada?

And for some reason your link to the lude doesn't work.

Thats funny, after I spend a few minutes manually searching for it, and find it, then it starts to work....

·
Registered
32 Posts
E36 M3
...i keed i keed, but srsly for an auto I'd go RSX. I picked the lude because it was a tad bigger, liked its looks better, and what I'd call comparable performance in the true sense, as well as the reliability sense.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Honda have a recall on the auto lude(both on the tranny and tranny ecu)and honda will replace the tranny or the tranny ecu for free if they brake down befor 100000mile with the same parts(*not the update one* that means they will brake down around 200000mile and honda won't replace it for free lol) and also if u start up u r lude too fast there 1/100 chance that u will burn out u r tranny ecu the right way to do is get in the car turn the key to on wait for the ABS light go off then cran the engine up~~

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
I'm not gonna chime in on this one, in fear of jynxing myself. Let's just say I have an Auto Lude. It runs. I would've rather gotten a 5 speed. But I still love it. Nuff said. BTW....Prelude>RSX any day of the week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
is there any way to prevent or slow down the transmission failure? because it's the only thing preventing me from getting a Lude right now

1 - 20 of 45 Posts