Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Honda Prelude FAQ > General FAQ
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2003, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Estoy Tranquilo

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How To: Install a 4-Point Harness

So you have decided that you want to put a harness in your Lude. Well, I made that decision and also decided to take notes, and pictures to do a write-up on exactly how to install a harness using the stock seatbelt mounting points.

For this install I bought a Sparco Clubman 4-point harness with Snap-In mounting points. A big decision you will have to make is whether you want "Bolt-In" mounting, or "Snap-In" mounting. The difference is that with "Bolt-In", you physically bolt the harness into place, and with "Snap-In" you use eyebolts to connect the harness to the mounting points. I chose "Snap-In" mounting because it allows you to easily remove the harness if needed, and it also allows you to do the majority of the install without the harness in the car.

So lets begin...

SUPPLIES:
* Harness of choice
* 4 Eyebolts (provided with harness)
* Socket Wrench
* 17mm Socket
* 13mm Socket
* Tube of Blue Loctite (threadlocker)

INSTALLATION:

1. Remove the drivers seat from the cabin. It makes installing everything else much easier, because it gives you way more working space. Having an aftermarket seat, I can only show how my seat disconnect from its bracket (which uses 13mm bolts). If you have stock seats you will have to locate the bolts. It shouldn't be to hard, just look for bolts that attach the seat to its bracket.

Note: on the last picture, the bracket bolt is silver and to the right hand side, NOT the darker bolt in center screen.

Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2003, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Estoy Tranquilo

2. Once the seat is out, locate the mounting points for the stock seatbelts. One is where your stock buckle is bolted, and the other is where the bottom of the belt in bolted. They are shown in red circles in this picture.

3. Use your 17mm socket wrench to take out the bolts in the first two mounting locations. Once the bolts are out, replace them with two of the Eyebolts provided with the harness, and remember to put some Blue Loctite on the eyebolts threads. Congratulations!!! You're half way done.

4. Remove your drivers side, rear passenger seat by pulling forward on the two plastic tabs underneath the front of the cushion.

5. Locate the two rear mounting points for the stock seatbelts. Using your 17mm socket, unbolt the stock mounting points. It should look like this...

Note: disregard the blue wires, they are part of my audio system.

6. Replace the bolts you just removed with the other two Eyebolts provided with the harness. Put some Blue Loctite on the threads of the eyebolts. The rear mounting points should now look like this...

Note: I had to trim the plastic on the second rear point, the plastic on the side will not allow the Eyebolt to bolt in, so you will have to get the Dremel out and trim about 1 square inch of plastic away from above the bolt hole.

7. Now all you have to do is snap in the "Snap-In" mounting points on the harness to the corresponding Eyebolts you have just installed in the cabin. When you are done the rear will look like this...

and from the front, it will look like this.

Congrats!!! you have just installed your own harness.

Note: I have to add a few pictures showing the eyebolts for the lap belt mounting points, they will be added tomorrow (1-6-02).

Tyler

Last edited by red92si; 01-05-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
free membership

Old 01-05-2003, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Racing harnesses in a car without a rollcage, genious!
Old 01-05-2003, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Bunk Spec.

Quote:
Originally posted by badmuthrfkr
lol!

Hope he doesn't use it 24/7 then it'll be ok.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Estoy Tranquilo

Quote:
Originally posted by badmuthrfkr
My stock seatbelt is still fully functional, and is what I use just driving around town. When I go to do some spirited driving on the weekends in the local canyons, the harness will give me a more steady feel. I wont have to hang onto the steering wheel when in a turn.

I know the rollover danger of a harness equiped car lacking a rollcage. This is one reason I opted for the snap-in mounts, so that when Im not in need of the harness, it can easily be removed.

Tyler
Old 01-06-2003, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT!

Looks great Tyler! Good work!
Old 01-06-2003, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Estoy Tranquilo

Thanks Andy...

Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Honda Prelude FAQ > General FAQ