Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Honda Prelude FAQ > 5th Gen
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2001, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ODLLLL THANK YOU SO MUCH.

YOU KICK ASS!!!!!

like you said, i didnt need the 4-pin relay that came with the accord opener.

this rocks. it looks like STOCK. bolt for bolt, as if it were SUPPOSED to be a prelude part.

dont ask how long this took me -- because i was PISSING MY PANTS while doing this. even though it was below 0 celcius, i was sweating.

[so for those of you who want to know the part number: Honda Accord "trunk opener" model number 08e49-s84-100h; costs $60CAD but i was able to get it for $30CAD]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2001, 11:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

by the way, how does yours work with your clifford?

do you have to disarm the alarm manually, prior to unlatching the trunk? or does it automatically disarm when u open the trunk using the remote?

for my compustar, when the car is armed, and if i open the trunk, the alarm automatically disarms and unlocks all the doors.
Old 03-31-2001, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
*yawn*

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Damn I think I'm finally going to buy this thing.

Old 03-31-2001, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

yeah definitely worth it...

i dont have a spoiler on right now so when i pop the trunk open, it springs right up.

but when i install my wingswest thruster spoiler, i have a feeling it wont spring open anymore. darn.
Old 04-01-2001, 01:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Oh Hai.

I have one sitting in the garage.. but too lazy to wire it to my system
Old 04-01-2001, 05:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by malken00:
I have one sitting in the garage.. but too lazy to wire it to my system

do you just buy stuff randomly and throw it to a corner in the garage or something? man, talk about rich folks.
Old 04-01-2001, 05:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Will those work on the 4th gen???
Old 04-01-2001, 08:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

sounds cool, i am getting the compustar but I'll just use my key to open the trunk
Old 04-01-2001, 10:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Da Monkii

Can you plz koc

, write up the instruction on this mod man, i'm looking forward to get the same alarm system and would ove to have this on my car. Please write it up for everyone, or did miss an earlier post hehehe
Old 04-01-2001, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Not under malken's foot.

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hey man...glad it worked out for you! And also good to hear you didn't hafta mess with the relay. Man, that compustar is pretty kickass...they have everything almost set up for you!

And for the rest of u guys...here's the email i wrote him:

Ok...i'll try to explain everything as best i can....

To begin...here just some info you should know. The accord trunk actuator is the "positive trigger" type described in your compustar page, meaning that blue wire needs positive (+) current to activate it. It grounds through the car body or the connector that attaches to it. In figure #2 of the compustar page you scanned, it mentions to tap the violet/white (i'll call this v/w) wire into the "factory trunk release solenoid"...thing is...our prelude isn't electrical and uses a cable pull trunk release system instead...that's where the accord actuator/solenoid thingamajigger comes into play

So...to begin...mount the actuator first. Take off the stock sucker (2 bolts)...then bolt on the new accord one. When taking the first one off, the rod coming from the keyhole might be hard to take off...trick is you need to rotate the plastic clip around, then it just slides out. Don't try to pull that clip out or anything...it just clips from the side of the bar. hope that made sense. Anyways...so get that bar off, the cable pull wire off, and i believe there's a connector also. Now compare the accord one (has the extra motorized part) to the stock one. Take special notice where and how the cable pull thing attached to the stock one. It attaches to the Accord one exactly in the same fashion, but from the top, so you'll need to relocate hte pull wire from the side to the top on the underside of the trunk. So...reattach the keyhole rod, the plug, and mount the accord one with the 2 bolts. Then mount the cable pull thing from the top as described...the plastic part clips in and the ball part just hooks in. (i wish i had a digicam so i can just take a picture of it). Ok...take a screwdriver or something hard and kinda small, and push the thing inbetween the V shape opening so it locks (i.e. pretend like your closing the trunk w/o actually closing the trunk. If you close the trunk and it doesn't unlock...that would be no good). Go test that the cable thing works by pulling the trunk release on the driver side. Next check your key in the trunk hole to see if that works also. If these check out, your good to go for this part.

On to the next...testing the actuator. Take some long wire...just twist it temporarily to the blue wire, and close the trunk (but with the wire that's attached to the blue wire sticking out of the trunk still. You might want to just quickly tape the exposed wire to insure that it doesn't contact the car body when you close your trunk. Take the other end of the wire and touch the red (+) post of your battery under your hood. The trunk should "pop" and open. So...that if that works, next comes the alarm part.

In looking at your compustar page, i'm assuming that you won't need the supplied relay like most of us use. I say this because it requests power or ground and has two wires (one to source either power or ground, and the other end to attach to the actuator). So...the only way to find out is to test it, right? Take the v/w wire, and temporarily attach it to the end of the wire that is attached to the blue wire of the actuator, which you previously used to test the actuator on the car battery. Next, take the violet wire, and tap that into a 12v constant power source (meaning it is ALWAYS on, and doesn't disconnect when the ignition off). In the prelude, easiest spot (besides the battery itself), is under the dash's driverside fusebox - you will see four exposed tabs above the fuses. They aren't perfectly aligned...2 are lower, while the 2 closer to the front of the car are a little higher placed. The one you want to tap into is the one farthest towards the rear of the car of the 4 (Left side when you're facing the fuse panel). Take the violet wire and tap into this exposed tab. You can purchase these flat connectors that plug into the flat connector of the fusebox. So...after hooking that up...test the actuator with your remote (i.e. close the trunk, and activate trunk release from your alarm remote). It *SHOULD* work.

If it doesn't, then my assumption that it has a built in relay is wrong and we'll hafta use the relay that came with the actuator. So, looking at your wonderful drawing, i'll describe it using #1, #2, #3, & #5.
#5 - attaches to the blue wire of the trunk actuator
#2 - attaches to the v/w wire of the compustar
#3 & #1 - attach to the Constant Power described earlier where you attempted to attach the violet wire (driver side fuse box, farthest left tab).
Violet wire off compustar - Attach it to a ground of the chassis. If you look around the fuse box area, i believe there's a good grounding point there. Look for wires attached to a screw which is screwed into metal of the car body/frame...that would be your grounding source you need to tap into.

After making these connections, test the actuator with your remote again. This time, it should work. If not, shoot me an email and i'll see what else i can come up with.

So...now knowing how it works...you need to permanently run that temp wire through the cabin of your car. You can run it through the plastic wire loom on the right side of the trunk hinge, under hte trunk liner, out the back seat of the driver side,run it along the bottom seat half where it meets teh plastic (you can shove the wire under the plastic). Pop off the lower door opening sill and you can run the wire under that...then out the front which is right where the fusebox is. It's pretty easy since the wire you're using isn't terribly thick. Now that you're all wired up, make the connections as you had it before when it worked, clean up, store everything back into it's proper corners in the car, and that should be it.

Lemme know if you run into any problems tomorrow, i should be checking my email or h/a intermittenly....

PS: Nice drawings =D

Enjoy
Old 04-01-2001, 01:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

those instructions that ODL wrote up for me is basically perfect. and for those of you with compustar alarms, you do NOT need the relay that comes with the accord kit. for those of you with clifford alarms, i reckon you do neeed the relay.

Old 04-02-2001, 02:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Poor Member

hey jkoc, where did you find that compustar alarm in canada?

would this accord trunk opener set-up work on a 4th gen?

slo mo
Old 04-02-2001, 04:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

do a search on compustar

[This message has been edited by jkoc (edited April 01, 2001).]
Old 04-02-2001, 05:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Oh Hai.

Quote:
Originally posted by d0o0ofer:
do you just buy stuff randomly and throw it to a corner in the garage or something? man, talk about rich folks.

Nope, I got it for free.
Old 04-02-2001, 08:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Poor Member

I've tried searching, but i can't find an authorized dealer in canada. did you get it off a web based retailer or was it through one of your tpc dealers?

i'm not trying to be bothersome, but i really need a new alarm and the compustar seems to have some great features.

slo mo

[This message has been edited by slo mo (edited April 01, 2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Honda Prelude FAQ > 5th Gen