JDM 1 Piece Headlight installation instructions (with pics!) - Honda Prelude Forum
Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Honda Prelude FAQ > 4th Gen
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2002, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Back to being a PO-PO

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
JDM 1 Piece Headlight installation instructions (with pics!)

First of all, I received some instructions from Mark94 so special thanks for him and posting the instructions. Here goes...

1 - Remove all hardware which connects the bumper cover to the radiator support. Leave the five body clips IN which are located directly on top of the bumper cover. Leaving them in ensures that the bumper cover and rebar come off in one piece. REMOVE EVERYTHING ELSE. Should be the 2 body clips and 2 philip head screws.

2 - Remove the little grills next to headlights. 4 washer bolts per grill. 1 of the 4 bolts are a little tricky.

Should look like this... (NOTE: the 5 body clips have been removed in this picture. Leave these in!

3 - Remove turn signals that are located under headlights. Remember, it's a 2 piece signal light, 2 philips head screws, 1 on the inside and 1 on the side of the light. Disconnected the 2 plugs from the light.

Should look like this...

4 - Once you remove those, you will see two bolts on each side of the car which hold the metal bumper to the frame of the car. You will need a long extension in order for the socket to reach those. These bolts will be facing the front of the car and will be connecting the black metal bumper to the frame of the car.

5 - Then there are two philips head screws on each side of the car with in the wheel wells which connect the bumper cover to the fender. Remove those.

6 - If you don't have an extra set of hands, then place a large blanket under your bumper cover so that if it falls unexpectedly you will not damage the paint.

7 - Then there is one bolt on each side of the car in the engine bay. There is one bolt behind each headlight (looks bronze / gold in color). Remove those. The one on the drivers side is easy to get to but on the passenger side you have to loosen your battery tie down and move your battery out of the way for easy access. These bolts should be facing towards the rear of the car. This should be the last bolts holding the metal bumper to the car.

8 - Then you just have to pull the bumper cover off. When you do this the bumper cover and metal bumper come off in one piece and you don't have to worry about the tabs under the headlights.

9 - Remove the headlights. 3 bolts per headlight. 2 on top connecting the light to the frame and 1 below the headlight, facing towards the outside of the car.

10 - Disconnect the 3 plugs from the headlight and the black rubber plug connected the black plastic center frame/grill.

Should look like this...

11 - If you have the JDM harness with the light and would like to use H1 and H4 light bulbs, then proceed with this step. If you would like to use the USDM 9006 and 9005 light bulbs: Cut the USDM harness off from the 9006 and 9005 lights. DO NOT CUT the side signal lights! They are reusable with the JDM headlights.
Connect the wires to the JDM harnesses (postive to postive and negative and negative). The H1 bulbs (inside lights) will be your day time running and high beam lights and the H4 bulbs (outside lights) will be your regular driving lights. Solder the wires and cover them with electric tape or heat shrink.

My buddy John soldering the wires...

12 - Fasten the JDM light to back on and TEST THAT THE LIGHT WORKS!

Should look like this...

Last edited by Keith; 01-29-2002 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2002, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Back to being a PO-PO

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
13 - Redo steps 1 - 10 in reverse order to put the bumper back onto the car.

Should look like this when done!

Good luck!

Keith

Last edited by Keith; 01-29-2002 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2002, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
www.ntpog.org

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OOOOO FAQ this please!!!!

Old 01-29-2002, 02:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

i agree...FAQ this. this will come in handy for hundreds of people.

BTW...that's a clean install you did....good job!
Old 01-29-2002, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

OK OK OK! YOU ARE NOW THE MAN! Thank for posting this...

****PLEASE ALL REMEMBER THIS WAS POSTED!!****

I'll work with malken in getting some kinda of FAQ started so this can go in to it.. I am also going to put these instructions on my web site, if thats fine with you...

Old 01-29-2002, 06:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

!!! I didnt see that we had a FAQ section ahahah thread is copied there!!

Old 04-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nice write up but Does anyone have a printed diagram for the witing? Last time I did it I have to by a bunch of relay boxes and it took me forever. This post was helpful but I need to know a little more. I'm a body man not an electrician lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Honda Prelude FAQ > 4th Gen