» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Driveline Technical Discussion > Wheels & Tires
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Suggested tires for stock rims?

There have been tire discussions in the past here, including a database of what people used and how they liked them, but that hasn't been updated since 2010.

I'm looking for some opinions for replacing my summer tires on my '99 SH. I run stock rims and suspension, not looking to change that.

When I bought the car, it had Kumho Ecsta 712's on it, and I loved those tires. They were great in dry and nearly as good in the wet. They lasted (to the cords) about 4 seasons, and I believe they were pretty new when I got the car.

Currently, I'm running Hankook Ventus RS2's. I've had them on for just shy of 2 seasons, and they are already at the wear bars. I have not been as impressed with these as I was with the Kumho 712's, and now that the tread is getting lower, they are getting to be terrible in the rain.

I have been looking at some of the options on Tire Rack for performance summer tires, and I wanted to get some opinions/reviews from Prelude owners, since there are not that many on TR. I am looking for tires that provide good grip in dry and wet, and are summer only. I'd like something to last at least 2 seasons, possibly 3, but I know I can hurt the handling if treadwear rating is too high. I do not track the car, just like to push it around corners and highway on-ramps.

So if you would, please fire away with tires you think are good (or bad) on the stock rims. Thanks for your help with this.
montero65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Collector

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I have always used anything Firestone/Bridgestone or Cooper tires on all my cars. I don't have any complaints about any of those companies. My Firestones lasted me 7 years and there was still thread on them when i changed to Cooper. I drive 7k a year on average in my lude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colominicano360 View Post
EVERYONE is welcomed EXCEPT FOR RICERS!
S-LudeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

I really like Continental extreme contact DWS tires. They are one of a few Z rated tires that has a tread life warranty. I have them on my RSX and my Prelude which has 05-06 RSX type-s wheels and they do great. After 15k of driving the tread still looks brand new. They do great in dry conditions and in the rain. They are even rated for light snow.
02 SS #510 M6 440/400, 585/592 100 shot Sold
2quik4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I got yokahama yk's. Very nice :-)

Sent from my DROID X2
zfinatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Diggin it up, just wanna throw in my input.

I had BFG gforce supersport on all four but wore out my front ones due to camber issues and burnouts. So after I put a camber kit on, I replaced my tires with just Gforce sport. The gforce super sport are all season and they aren't all that great for a W rated tire. The gforce sports are awesome though, they grip hard and I have never lost traction on em. I feel like my car would flip before they start to slide.
Tayler0528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I ended up going with Yokohama S.Drives. They handle great in the dry and are great in the wet as well. They have a 300 treadwear rating, so they should last me more than 2 summers (unlike my last set of Kumho tires).

Overall, I am very happy with these, and would definitely recommend them.
montero65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

cooper ftw!

my cooper tires are awesome with the stock setup!
dudemansk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Driveline Technical Discussion > Wheels & Tires