» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Driveline Technical Discussion > Wheels & Tires
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BAD Inner Tire Wear (but "Good" Alignment)

I have owned a 5th gen. Prelude for about 6 months now. When I bought the car, the previous owner had just put 4 new tires on it. After driving around for awhile, it felt like the car was pulling to the right, so I took it into a local reputable alignment shop.

After paying my $50 bill, I was a little upset to see the alignment sheet - the "before" and "after" numbers were literally exactly the same...and all in the green. Even though $50 for a 4-wheel alignment is cheap, I felt like I had just wasted the money. Nonetheless, I was content knowing that my alignment was good and uneven roads must be the cause of the "pulling" I was experiencing.

Then I find myself putting a new front lip on my car the other day, and I notice that the front right/passenger tire is worn REALLY bad on the inside. I checked the other 3 tires and they were all fine. But the front right was literally almost vertical around the inner edge of it.

So what could this be, if not an alignment issue?

Alignment Story: the shop I took it to was very reputable. I had called and asked about having an alignment done before I went in, and they said their alignment guy was very sick and had gone to the hospital straight from work. I called back a few days later, and their guy was still out, but they had some Joe Schmo "fill in" for him and do alignments...who was there when I brought my car in. Is it possible that this guy created a "fake" alignment sheet? And showed that my car was in alignment when it really wasn't? Should I go back to the shop and bring this to their attention?

Last edited by KtrainHurricane; 11-05-2011 at 01:05 AM.
KtrainHurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

are you on stock suspension? go back there and tell them to check it again. Ask them to check your suspension components as well to see if anything is bent or broken.

10' FA5 / Legacy GT Wagon
I don't visit forums much, but when I do, it's preludeonline.com. Stay thirsty my friends.
thegamettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamettt View Post
are you on stock suspension? go back there and tell them to check it again. Ask them to check your suspension components as well to see if anything is bent or broken.
Completely stock suspension. I am going to try and go back Monday to talk with them about it...thanks for your response!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane View Post
they had some Joe Schmo "fill in" for him and do alignments...who was there when I brought my car in. Is it possible that this guy created a "fake" alignment sheet? And showed that my car was in alignment when it really wasn't? Should I go back to the shop and bring this to their attention?
What is the possibility of this^
Old 11-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

FRONT LEFT
CAMBER: Actual 0.1, Before 0.1 (Specified Range -1.0 to 1.0)
CASTER: Actual 3.4, Before 3.4 (Specified Range 1.7 to 3.7)
TOE: Actual 0.03, Before -0.02 (Specified Range -0.08 to 0.08)
SAI: Actual 13.7, Before 13.7
INCLUDED ANGLE: Actual 13.8, Before 13.8

FRONT RIGHT
CAMBER: Actual -1.0, Before -1.0 (Specified Range -1.0 to 1.0)
CASTER: Actual 3.0, Before 3.0 (Specified Range 1.7 to 3.7)
TOE: Actual 0.04, Before -0.06 (Specified Range -0.08 to 0.08)
SAI: Actual 8.3, Before 8.3
INCLUDED ANGLE: Actual 7.4, Before 7.4

FRONT
CROSS CAMBER: Actual 1.1, Before 1.1
CROSS CASTER: Actual 0.4, Before 0.4
CROSS SAI: Actual 5.3, Before 5.3
TOTAL TOE: Actual 0.08, Before -0.08 (Specified Range -0.16 to 0.16)

REAR LEFT
CAMBER: Actual -0.7, Before -0.7 (Specified Range -1.8 to 0.3)
TOE: Actual 0.09, Before 0.10 (Specified Range 0.00 to 0.16)

REAR RIGHT
CAMBER: Actual -0.9, Before -0.9 (Specified Range -1.8 to 0.3)
TOE: Actual 0.08, Before 0.08 (Specified Range 0.00 to 0.16)

REAR
CROSS CAMBER: Actual 0.2, Before 0.2
TOTAL TOE: Actual 0.17, Before 0.18 (Specified Range 0.00 to 0.31)
THRUST ANGLE: Actual 0.00, Before 0.01
AXEL OFFSET: Actual 0.0in, Before 0.0in
Old 11-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Went back to the shop today:

The tech looked at my alignment sheet and said everything was perfect. Then he walked out to the car with me to look at the tire, and noticed I had 3 Fuzion tires and 1 Nitto Neo Gen (the Neo Gen was on the driver's front). He said THAT was causing the problem...compared it to "wearing one Nike shoe and one Addidas shoe. you will feel weird and not walk right." He said since the Neo Gen on the left had such a different tread than the Fuzion on the right, it was causing it to pull and rotate unevenly.

I then asked him why he didn't bring that to my attention when he aligned my car, since he was so certain it causes problems. He had no answer, but rotated my tires for free (fronts to the back). Hopefully my problems are solved...even though I now have a bald, unevenly worn rear tire.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

When you said the previous owner put 4 new tires on the car, did you verify that? Normally people don't put mismatching tires on as a new set. If you didn't actually inspect the tread on all of them, he could have just lied to you. The tire could have already been worn and had camber wear. That could cause it to keep wearing on the edge due to the existing pattern of the camber wear. The neo gens are all season high performance, you want the same type of tires on your car. Meaning all 4 all seasons, or all 4 summers. I don't know what fusion tires you have so i can't comment on that. I highly doubt anyone would make you a fake alignement spec sheet.

10' FA5 / Legacy GT Wagon
I don't visit forums much, but when I do, it's preludeonline.com. Stay thirsty my friends.
thegamettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamettt View Post
When you said the previous owner put 4 new tires on the car, did you verify that? Normally people don't put mismatching tires on as a new set. If you didn't actually inspect the tread on all of them, he could have just lied to you. The tire could have already been worn and had camber wear. That could cause it to keep wearing on the edge due to the existing pattern of the camber wear. The neo gens are all season high performance, you want the same type of tires on your car. Meaning all 4 all seasons, or all 4 summers. I don't know what fusion tires you have so i can't comment on that. I highly doubt anyone would make you a fake alignement spec sheet.
Yes I did verify that the tires were new when I bought the car. The Neo Gen was put on there because the previous owner got a flat from a nail that couldn't be patched. The tires were installed just before he moved, so when the 1 tire went flat he had to take it to a different shop...hence the Neo Gen.

But again - all 4 tires had 98% tread or more when I bought the car.

The other 3 tires are Fuzion HR1.

When I went back to the shop, the alignment guy was telling me "idk why you have that one crappy tire on there" (referring to the Neo Gen). He said "those Nitto tires are sometimes cheap but really bad so you should get rid of it asap." He said the tread pattern sucked, they were noisy, and the Fuzions were much better. Don't know how much merit this guy has because I had always heard of Neo Gens being fairly decent...
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Driveline Technical Discussion > Wheels & Tires