Honda Prelude Online banner

If you have an SS Auto, Please read this:

94K views 237 replies 121 participants last post by  Tobolose 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok guys,

We've finally gotten the information on who to contact at the NTSHA about the issues with the SS Autos.

If you've ever posted a complaint on the NTSHA web, thank you! If not, please visit the link below!

Then you should email / call them and mention that you've posted a complaint on their web site, and that you have "safety" concerns about the transmission.

This is REALLY important if you have gone through more than one SS Auto, and especially true if you have a 1997-1999 Prelude.

We are trying to get the 1997-1999 transmissions covered under the extended warranty.

If you have never filed a complaint, please read the above thread and then fill out a complaint on the NTHSA web site:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

-Gerhard

Especially in the case of several of them failing in under 100,000 miles. This has happened to me (2 trannies in under 91,000 miles).

See less See more
#2 ·
Update:

We have recently had a Honda employee inform us that Honda is quite aware of the problems with the Prelude / Acura SS transmissions.

It appears that they are related to the cost of different alloys for use in the transmissions and Honda unwillingness to use slightly more expensive parts.

Furthermore, we have recently discovered that Honda recalled all of the 1997 SS Auto Preludes in Turkey and replaced the transmissions with updated M6HA units.

They never did this in the USA due to the number of cars and the legal potential for problems. Turkey had 70 SS Auto Preludes sold in 1997.

-Gerhard

#3 ·
i would be glad to fill out a complaint...but i dont think its 'exactly' legal to have swapped a 5 spd. like 'some' people on here have done and not informed...the bank you are buying your car through and your insurance company..and i..errr i mean those people might get in some kind of trouble possibly?

#4 · (Edited)
Gerard, I applaud your efforts. If this is the problem you say it is, and just from an hours worth of reading, I am beginning to see that it is. I just bought a 98 ss a few weeks ago. I really wish I had done more research prior to buying. I bought a honda as a second car due to their reputation. If my SS trans goes I am screwed fininacially. I would love to fill out a complaint, however since my trans has not yet gone, I think it would be dishonest. Unfortunatly it seems like the odds are against me and it will, sooner or later go, in which case getting what you are trying to do accomplished, would benifit me a great deal. Regardless my hat is off to you.

#5 ·
MIGGS said:
Gerard, I applaud your efforts. If this is the problem you say it is, and just from an hours worth of reading, I am beginning to see that it is. I just bought a 98 ss a few weeks ago. I really wish I had done more research prior to buying. I bought a honda as a second car due to their reputation. If my SS trans goes I am screwed fininacially. I would love to fill out a complaint, however since my trans has not yet gone, I think it would be dishonest. Unfortunatly it seems like the odds are against me and it will, sooner or later go, in which case getting what you are trying to do accomplished, would benifit me a great deal. Regardless my hat is off to you.
I suppose te question is really: How many miles are on the transmission?

Also, if you can determine the dealer that car was originally sold from, you can probably find out if the transmission was ever repalced under warranty? You may also be able to call Honda Care and find out if the transmission was every repalced under warranty.

I figure that the failure rate might about around 25% at the point.

#7 ·
This is a copy of a message from one of my many sources:

"Thanks for getting back to me.

I have been looking into this issue since late 2001 when my second transmission broke down. As I have mentioned before, I have called American Honda many times to see if there is a problem. Of course the answer was always no.

Gerhard, I believe that your numbers are very accurate as far as the number of transmission failures. Especially when it's difficult to track the number of second and third transmission failures etc. too.

However, today after I received your e-mail this morning, I was motivated to call American Honda again to give them hell. This time when I called, it was more enlightening. The Honda Customer Service rep's name was Clarence.

American Honda Motor Co.

1-800-999-1009 Automobile Customer Service Department

Here are the steps I took:

Option# 2 Honda Campaigns & Recalls
Option# 2 Transmission Warranty Extensions

Option# 2 Speak to a Honda Representative

I had to give Clarence my VIN, address, phone etc. I asked him if the earlier Preludes 1997-99 were going to be recalled. He told me that the 2000-2001 Prelude models have been recalled and the earlier versions "are currently being evaluated". Apparently, they need more evidence that the same problem had affected the 1997-99 models. They want to hear from the people that have replaced the transmissions in the 1997-99 models (especially folks that replaced the transmission more than once too). I assume that they have been working with the Honda Dealerships?

Clarence told me that American Honda Motor Co. was not aware that the earlier 1997-99 models were affected. I told him to look into my records and notice that my 1998 Honda Prelude transmission had been replaced twice. He told me that it's not right that I lost two transmissions and that they are conducting the evaluations now on the earlier models. He told me that written statements to American Honda do get the attention they deserve along with the work receipts and documentation.

My feeling is that American Honda is playing a waiting game on this issue. I believe that the 2000-2001 folks may still have low miles. The better way of evaluating the failures is looking at the more seasoned 1997-1999 Preludes as they have the higher miles by now (and multiple transmissions). I believe the 2000-2001 Preludes have been spared to save face as an initial phase or preventative matter for the company. The owners of the 1997-1999 Preludes need to continue to contact American Honda when their transmissions are replaced.

So far as consumers, we have exhausted everything in our power to bring the issue to the right folks. If this is a waiting game, I do feel confident that something is going to happen as evaluations are currently underway at American Honda. We need the help of the rest of the Prelude community to participate and send their info to both the NHTSA and American Honda.

I believe that if we do all that we can to share our experiences, with American Honda, the NHTSA, and each other, we will be able be able to get what we need. Hopefully..."

#8 ·
What about those of us who have installed aftermarket parts, wouldn't Honda just contribute my failed transmission to the adding of performance parts. My tranny has 89,000 miles on it and is in desperate need of repalcing, but my local Honda dealership claims it is because I installed A CAI, header, and exhaust, and therefore could not be covered by an extended warranty.

#9 ·
silverbullit said:
What about those of us who have installed aftermarket parts, wouldn't Honda just contribute my failed transmission to the adding of performance parts. My tranny has 89,000 miles on it and is in desperate need of repalcing, but my local Honda dealership claims it is because I installed A CAI, header, and exhaust, and therefore could not be covered by an extended warranty.
You know... that's really hard to say.

Realistically, they have to prove that it really did cause the tranny to fail. The 5 HP different you might actually be seeing would not cause the tranny to fail.

What you should do is take them to small claims court and sue them. Sue them for the maximum amount (generally no more than $5000.00).

Since this does not require a lawyer, and you can quote:

"The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©)" which states:

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...� (15 U.S.C. 2302©).

...which is why their attempt to tell you that your non-damaging warranties affect the transmission are nuts.

You need to sue American Honda in CA. They almost NEVER respond by sending a lawyer. They will want this to go away and will probably just fix your car.

-Gerhard

#10 ·
Can we file a complaint if we never had any problems with the tranny yet?

i have a 99 and it has about 21,000 miles on it.

#12 ·
Hey there--I just filed my complaint and I'm going to talk to my local Honda Dealer because my 1997 SS Tranny just gave up the ghost, and now I'm just thrilled to spend another $2500 to fix the damn thing. Maybe I can get somewhere, but I'm not holding my breath. Thinking it is time to convert to a manual, anyone have details on the conversion to a 5 speed? Thank for your comments and assistance.

#13 ·
Go the manual route....cheaper. I just spent 1500 or right near there swapped in. If you're smart, take your time with finding parts, and get to know some mechanically inclined people...you're golden. But hell....get money from Honda too if ya can....let them fund your manual swap.

#15 ·
What are SS preludes?

#16 · (Edited)
autoluder said:
What are SS preludes?
Sequential Sportshift

As in....you slide the auto knob to the left a lil while in d4...numbers light up on the intrument cluster and you get to control the shifting manual style. Only problem is....the tranny is crap. All electronically controlled and the electronically controlled stall convertor being the most homosexual of all.

#18 ·
I have 120,000 miles on my 97 SS 'Lude and have not had any problems with the tranny. I have i/h/e mods. I tap VTEC-mode on average of 3 times per day and I drive SS 99% of the time. I just had the 120,000 mile maintenance done on the car and everything seems to be running okay. Just wanted to post my 2 cents worth...I'm extremely pleased with my car. How about the rest of you 97-99 SS 'Luders out there? What's your experience with the SS tranny?

#209 ·
I recently bought a 99 SS Lude with 122,000 on it. My transmission died at 124,000. I had to spend $1500 to rebuild it. I love my Prelude to death, I'm only 18 and a freshman in college, so the manual conversion is going to have to wait a number of years because my father doesn't believe in hacking up cars.....until it dies again...

#19 ·
FlyVTEC said:
I have 120,000 miles on my 97 SS 'Lude and have not had any problems with the tranny. I have i/h/e mods. I tap VTEC-mode on average of 3 times per day and I drive SS 99% of the time. I just had the 120,000 mile maintenance done on the car and everything seems to be running okay. Just wanted to post my 2 cents worth...I'm extremely pleased with my car. How about the rest of you 97-99 SS 'Luders out there? What's your experience with the SS tranny?
I'd have to say that you are quite lucky. Are you changing your ATF regularly?

#20 ·
Gerhard...I had heard about the SS tranny problems before and I've been waiting for mine to break but I guess I have been lucky since it hasn't happened yet. I change my engine oil every 3,000 miles at my dealership but I'm not sure if they change the ATF at the same time. I'm assuming that they do. I'm due for another oil change in about a month so I'll ask them if they change the ATF also. It's unfortunate that Honda has this problem because one of the main reasons why we bought Honda's was their good reputation for realibility. Anyway, I'm going for a 5-speed swap when it's time to replace the tranny. L8.

#21 ·
FlyVTEC said:
Gerhard...I had heard about the SS tranny problems before and I've been waiting for mine to break but I guess I have been lucky since it hasn't happened yet. I change my engine oil every 3,000 miles at my dealership but I'm not sure if they change the ATF at the same time. I'm assuming that they do. I'm due for another oil change in about a month so I'll ask them if they change the ATF also. It's unfortunate that Honda has this problem because one of the main reasons why we bought Honda's was their good reputation for realibility. Anyway, I'm going for a 5-speed swap when it's time to replace the tranny. L8.
Good luck Dude! I hope that SS tranny lasts your 300,000 miles and proves us all wrong!

-smile-

Gerhard

#22 ·
97 SS w/182,235 miles finally crapped out

I was hoping my transmission was the one that was going to prove the SS myth wrong, since it's been holding up so well this long and this many miles, but just this past Monday it finally gave out. Out of the blue too without any real indications...so you guys with a ok running SS tranny beware, it can go just like that. I was on the freeway going from one work facitily in Palo Alto to our main office in Sunnyvale when the rpms spiked from 3000 to about 5000 in a split second. The car didn't really jump or anything. I took my exit and came to a red light and no sounds or any evidence of it being blown, so the light turned green and I step on the gas and the engine really reved up before the tranny caught and the wheels spun out. The next light was only about 25 feet away which I caught red again...same thing happened. Instead of heading back to work I figured I better go home and see if it's low on fluid or something....but as I was driving home...it got worse. Really long story short...it literally crawled home with the engine reving about 4000 rpm and me going about 10 mph. Now when I turn the car on, the thing sound like if you dropped some spoons or forks in the garbage disposal and turned it on.
I had my mechanic take a look at it and he said a new one (not remanufactured) would be around $4700 ($700 core) and installation close to $1300, so that's a $6000 repair!!!
I belong to bayareaprelude and someone there said the 5 speed conversion runs about $2500 so I may go that route but I would really hate to spend my own hard earned money if Honda knows about this issue and is not stepping up to the plate to do something about it. IF ANYONE KNOWS A GOOD PLACE THAT DOES THE 5 SPEED SWAP IN THE SF/SJ BAY AREA, PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH THE INFORMATION!
Like many others here, I bought the car based on Honda's stellar quality reputation and didn't find out until after I bought it that it's week point was this SS transmission.
My question is whether or not I would have any luck filing a complaint to them as my car has from what I know the most miles on a orignal SS transmission?

Thanks for reading my rant....I am kind of pissed I'm having to go through this crap with my car!

#134 ·
I was hoping my transmission was the one that was going to prove the SS myth wrong, since it's been holding up so well this long and this many miles, but just this past Monday it finally gave out. Out of the blue too without any real indications...so you guys with a ok running SS tranny beware, it can go just like that. I was on the freeway going from one work facitily in Palo Alto to our main office in Sunnyvale when the rpms spiked from 3000 to about 5000 in a split second. The car didn't really jump or anything. I took my exit and came to a red light and no sounds or any evidence of it being blown, so the light turned green and I step on the gas and the engine really reved up before the tranny caught and the wheels spun out. The next light was only about 25 feet away which I caught red again...same thing happened. Instead of heading back to work I figured I better go home and see if it's low on fluid or something....but as I was driving home...it got worse. Really long story short...it literally crawled home with the engine reving about 4000 rpm and me going about 10 mph. Now when I turn the car on, the thing sound like if you dropped some spoons or forks in the garbage disposal and turned it on.
I had my mechanic take a look at it and he said a new one (not remanufactured) would be around $4700 ($700 core) and installation close to $1300, so that's a $6000 repair!!!
I belong to bayareaprelude and someone there said the 5 speed conversion runs about $2500 so I may go that route but I would really hate to spend my own hard earned money if Honda knows about this issue and is not stepping up to the plate to do something about it. IF ANYONE KNOWS A GOOD PLACE THAT DOES THE 5 SPEED SWAP IN THE SF/SJ BAY AREA, PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH THE INFORMATION!
Like many others here, I bought the car based on Honda's stellar quality reputation and didn't find out until after I bought it that it's week point was this SS transmission.
My question is whether or not I would have any luck filing a complaint to them as my car has from what I know the most miles on a orignal SS transmission?

Thanks for reading my rant....I am kind of pissed I'm having to go through this crap with my car!

I know this was written in 03, but it's 09 now and I have a 98SS with 132xxx and I haven't had any issues yet. I hope that I have enough money saved up for a conversion before something happens.

#25 ·
I have a 98 SS, withj sumple I/H/E mods and my tranny started crapping out at 78k, I haven't had the money to get it fixed, and Honda says that my warranty is void due to to the mods I performed. So, I now have 94k miles on it, and it just over revs sometimes before the gears kick inm or it may slip sometimes, but unitl it eventually goes out, or I have the money to fix it, I'm stuck with it.

#26 ·
97SS...sorry to hear about your tranny dude. That sux big time! Just curious tho...how often did you have your tranny serviced and/or how often did you change the ATF? I think I read in the manual that it should be serviced every 15,000 miles. Man, I think it's time to maybe trade in my 'Lude for a Bimmer. But I want to upgrade from owning a condo to a house so not sure if I wanna put another debt in my credit report. Anyway, thanks for the post. Next time I get my car serviced at the dealer, I'm gonna talk to the Service Mgr and try to get some info from him regarding these SS tranny problems and what he thinks I should do to keep it maintained. He's a pretty cool dude so I'm hoping he'll be straight up with me. If not, bye bye Honda, hello BMW! L8.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.