Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
98 manual transmission fluid

Hello everyone. I'm new to this group. Just picked up a 98 prelude really cheap. Body in great condition and motor strong. Clutch and tranny not so much. I haven't owned a honda in over 20 years so I need some info. I searched online and everywhere says to use only genuine honda fluid. Is that what everyone uses or is there a certain royal purple or any other brands anyone recommends. Now the big problem. Guy I got it from said the clutch went out on him. Took to a shop and had an exedy clutch put in. He went to pick it up and the shop didnt charge him for it. They said they couldn't get 5th gear to work anymore. So he parked it for a year and I bought it and drove it 2 hours home. Ran fine except no 5th gear. 2 days later I go to drive and in reverse, 1st amd 2nd gears I hear a knocking with a grind to it, but still accelerates as normal. When I shift to 3rd and 4th, no noise. Any thoughts or ideas other than me taking to the shop to get it ripped apart? Thanks everyone. Also, car only has 100,000 on it. Previous owner had it 10 years. No engine light on, and all electrical seems to work
Thanks in advance.
jeeper89102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

updated question. does a manual 5 speed out of an sh model fit in a base model.

thanks
Old 08-30-2019, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Jeeper, the forum is pretty quiet these days.

Don't know if the type of fluid is that critical, but when I did mine I just grabbed the stuff from Honda. May just be hype, but it's not something we change that often.

As for your tranny problems, I'm not sure about it, but before anything I'd check the shift linkages especially at the tranny. If I recall it's not tough to get at and could be warn or contaminated.

If it's not that, I'd likely just grab an exact replacement from JDM or such, usually not too expensive.

As for SH, I also can't say, but I think there is a bit more to it, electronics and dash indications, not really sure. Maybe have a look at the Factory Workshop Manual.

Good luck with it.
Mañana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

thanks bud. I ended up buying a used transmission and bolted it in. all problems seem to be fixed now. thanks for the info.
Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Congrats, good work.

You'll love the car. Front wheel drive isn't the most fun, but the Prelude is a great car.

Steve
Mañana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion