Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Get more times?

Hey guy I'm in Southern California and my car failed to pass smog 3 three times. My DMV renewal is due tomorrow so is there a way to tell DMV to buy me more times until my car can pass smog? Thank for the help.
jeex007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Pay the DMV fee and keep the paperwork for that and from the smog check place in your car. You probably won't get pulled over but if you do the paper work will keep you from a ticket.
dblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

whats the smog results? do you already know what the problems is?

Old 04-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry for late reply. I've been busy fixing on the problem on my car. Well I got the paperwork now so I won't get pulled over.

Anyway my car failed emission test 3 times and failed functional test 1 time. The first test it failed on OBD system check mainly because I disconnected the battery. I know I'm not supposed to but I wanted to get rid of the check engine light. I drove it around couple of miles until the scanner said 5 of monitor run. Took it to smog shop for round 2. It passed OBD system check but failed the Emission test. What's really bother me is that first test failed on OBD system but passed the emission test. Whaaaa? I was confused.

After the second test, I took it to a different shop for round 3 because I'm afraid the other shop I went might rip me off. After the third test, it failed again on emission test. I looked at the EGR valve and it looked fine. I cleaned it just in case. I also tested the fan motor and found that the fan motor completely fried. I got myself 135 dollar brand new Toyo fan motor and replaced it. Tested it and it working good. Took it for round 4 and it still failed emission test. =(

I checked exhaust manifold and pipe to see if there any leak or strange noise but nothing. I'm sure Catalytic converter is good so it can't be that one. I'm running out of ideas guy.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
OBD test only checks your ECU for any recent codes (which is why it didn't pass the first time). Up here, if you reset the ECU before your test, you need to drive it AT LEAST 50-100 miles before the state inspection computer will allow it to pass the OBD test. It may take that long for the ECU to re-test all the components to be sure everything is working properly.

Your emissions test is totally different obviously. It tests the air coming out of the exhaust. What was the "check engine light" code that you got previously? It is very likely an O2 sensor that needs replacement, but could be any number of other parts.

Bring it to an Autozone or car parts store that does the OBD reading for free and find out what the code was, and fix it.
If there is no code at the moment, but you are failing the emission test, your check engine light WILL come back on eventually if you keep driving it... then get it checked by the OBD2 reader and fix it.

Your fan will not cause your car to fail emissions.
Your car would fail regular inspection if there is a leak in your exhaust anywhere.
Check the code when it comes back.

1998 Honda Prelude SH-parts car
1998 Honda Prelude SH-Sold
1997 Honda Prelude Base project--Sold
1991 Honda Prelude Si--Sold
1989 Honda Prelude SI AWS--Sold

-Over 20 years of Honda Ownership and Experience with Prelude, Accord, and Civic-
"Old Man"
Hammbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dude do you have the results of the failed emissions tests? Co Nox etc readings?

Scan it & attach it here.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammbone View Post
OBD test only checks your ECU for any recent codes (which is why it didn't pass the first time). Up here, if you reset the ECU before your test, you need to drive it AT LEAST 50-100 miles before the state inspection computer will allow it to pass the OBD test. It may take that long for the ECU to re-test all the components to be sure everything is working properly.

Your emissions test is totally different obviously. It tests the air coming out of the exhaust. What was the "check engine light" code that you got previously? It is very likely an O2 sensor that needs replacement, but could be any number of other parts.

Bring it to an Autozone or car parts store that does the OBD reading for free and find out what the code was, and fix it.
If there is no code at the moment, but you are failing the emission test, your check engine light WILL come back on eventually if you keep driving it... then get it checked by the OBD2 reader and fix it.

Your fan will not cause your car to fail emissions.
Your car would fail regular inspection if there is a leak in your exhaust anywhere.
Check the code when it comes back.
There is two codes. P1709 and P0700. I looked it up and they both related to transmission error. I don't think transmission error have anything to do with emission test but I could be wrong. I'll check out O2 sensor to see if there anything wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMpreludeKing View Post
Dude do you have the results of the failed emissions tests? Co Nox etc readings?

Scan it & attach it here.
The HC and CO doing good on both 15mph and 25mph test. As for the NO, it failed on 15mph test but passed the 25mph. I don't have scanner but I have pictures below.

[/IMG]
Old 04-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

The reason your failing your NO, if your passing everything else is your having a problem in the exhaust system. I'd start with cleaning your egr ports passages & everything with it, have your cat & your o2s check by an exhaust shop.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Also check for vacuum leaks including the egr vacuum most likely your problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion