Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2004, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member
grrrrrrr

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Catalytic catch can review (Condensator)

Decided to purchase a Condensator a few months back as an alternative to the normal pcv catch can because of its website claims and Artifex's original review here.

This operates like a normal catch can except that it filters the blowby gases through a glass bead-filled separator. Now based on their webpage I originally thought this was supposed to be some catalytic system but in fact it doesn't work like that. Here is an exerpt from an email they sent me:

"The condensator has a double-walled catalytic separator made of tiny glass beads and is solid on the end. The gasses normally traveling from the pcv valve to the throttle body are rerouted via the head of the condensator through this catalytic separator. Because hot gasses travel at a pretty good speed, when they hit the solid end of the separator they come to a dead halt. Thus employing a principle of physics called Collision Principle. Between the sudden stop and hence, rapid cooling we manage to create a separation of high-end burnable gasses (such as oxygen etc) and lower end non-burnable fuels such as CO2, sulfuric acid etc. High end gasses are allowed to travel on through the double walls of the separator while the lower end gasses are trapped in the jar and liquefy. The benefits to this process are many-more efficient use of fuel, clean exhaust system, significant reduction of tailpipe emissions(70%), and many more."

Installation is easy except that the condensator is huge. It was originally designed for trucks and for some reason they haven't scaled it down much since then. Artifex had a nice spot in his 5th gen but that wasn't available in the 4th gen. The only really decent spot I could find was wedged between the distributor and intake, sitting on the rad hose.

Even then, to make it fit I had to chop off a part of the top. As you can see mine is a circle while the lid of Artifex's has the squared off section for mounting. All of that was shaved off with my dremel It comes with about 4' of hosing, all the worm clamps you need, and mounting screws if you want to go that route. It's a very solid piece, thick plastic, and everything fits well together.

Results in a sec....

Old 11-10-2004, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 61 reviews
let us know how it works. seems kinda expensive.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
grrrrrrr

So the main point of getting this besides removing oil and blowby gases from being passed back into the engine was to get better fuel mileage. Did it work? I'd say yes. I tried to keep decent records because I was thinking of potentially being a dealer for them but decided against it. Here are my mileage results:

2 tanks before installation:
23.4 mpg
22.8 mpg

This was 95% city driving and was consistent with earlier results that I had taken intermittantly.

After installation:
CITY:...... Highway:
25.2 mpg 27.4 mpg
25.1 mpg 27.5 mpg
24.7 mpg 28.1 mpg

So in the city I got about a 10% bump. I didn't have a good "before" highway test but the best I had seen in previous years was 28mpg in the winter. This was about the same in the summer with at least 50% A/C useage.

Here's what was in the can after 2000 miles, probably an ounce

Overall Impressions:
I'm happy with the fuel economy bump although it wasn't as much as most people who sent in reviews online (but they had old clunkers or trucks). They do claim it should significantly reduce emissions but I did not find that result. My emissions results this year are almost identical to last years although I have done a few changes to the car so it may not be the best example. The condensator is a little pricey though at about $150 shipped. The place I bought it online has stopped selling them but there are several US dealers still out there. E.g., http://www.condensatorsales.com/

Last edited by yield; 11-10-2004 at 08:31 PM.
yield is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2004, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
street racing instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yield
Decided to purchase a Condensator a few months back as an alternative to the normal pcv catch can because of its website claims and Artifex's original review here.
WOW, that's cool. You are one of several people that have been buying stuff based on my reviews, that makes me feel special.

I'm glad you like it. It's too bad they made the thing so stupid large. It's also too bad the 4th gen doesn't have a cozy spot for it like the 5th gen (although I have seen many people use that spot for their alarm system also).

In the times of high gas prices, this little thing my help a little.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Good review, Dave . . . . guess I'll have to save up for one of these hogs.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Buttering up the muffin

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Im guessing there arent any generic models similar to this manufacturer?

Jake
94SI
Phamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member
grrrrrrr

Well, when I was researching the condensator I found this guy who tried to make a homemade version: http://www.himacresearch.com/books/hydro8.html

Take that site with a grain of salt though. On the next page he starts talking about all these different "catalysts" you could add to the can but they obviously don't realize that the condensator doesn't actually catalyze any reactions in the first place and I don't think you could even do so at those temperatures. And note that the condensator uses glass beads (or maybe silica) not BB's.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Mercedes = Kraut Crap

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
a mod should move this to the product review forum ... good stuff.

http://www.kiva.org
4thGenReady2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion