Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Driveline Technical Discussion > Naturally Aspirated
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2003, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best Clutch for ~200whp

Well im currently building an h23vtec, but my clutch is going out rihght now on the h23. Its probably stock and has 118000 miles on it, my car is daily driven about 6 months of the year and than sits a lot during the winter because im off at college, what im saying is i can deal with a lot of pedal pressure, but of course i dont want too much. What clutch should i get that will still be good when my motor is completely built? And where can i get one for cheap?
Brady92/4WS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2003, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

i m using clutchmaster st 3 i dont think that would be good for you and i think a last stage 3 and up. but i heard a lot of good thing about ACT clutch but pedal pressure is hard.
JC_lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
grrrrrrr

look on groupbuycenter - i got a clutchmasters stage I for 20% off but I think that deal is ended. I'm still breaking it in though so I can't say what high RPM launches are like. Pedal is slightly stiffer, and it really catches on engagement. I think ACT and clutchmasters are more pricey, Exedy is cheaper. Look down and you will see a sponsor has Exedy's
Old 03-06-2003, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Eleventeen

I used a CM stage 3 on my H23 VTEC.....seemed fine...
Old 03-06-2003, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member
I'm not too old for this!

What horse power are the stage 3 rated at. I need at least a 250 hp rating will a stage 3 hold that?? Nitrous = No clutch
04 Ford Powestroke Diesel Crew Cab, Shortbed,4x4, SCT Tuner,with Tunes from innovative Diesel,4 inch Donahoe lift,ARP headstuds,AFE Stage 2 intake,MBRP 4 inch Exhaust,4:30 gears from unitrax,18 inch KMC wheels(black) with 35 inch Toyo M/T's.
440 whp 800 torque.
slp mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

what about exedy, there really good for the price comparison, plus they make oem clutches so the quality is the best.
h22a193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Heaven is at 5,200 rpm

I had nitrous and had a cm stage 3 it is fried now. now the nitrous is off but i still cant do three races without it getting hot and slipping like ass. but when it cools back off it seems fine. Im gonna get an act
highcomp.valves/p+p.head/3ang.valv.job/extrude honed intakemani/
coolant bypass/msd 6al,coil and magnecor wires
prelude_sh_vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member
I'm not too old for this!

okay so I guess the clutch masters is out. I haven't even used my nitrous in a long time because it's useless with my current clutch.
04 Ford Powestroke Diesel Crew Cab, Shortbed,4x4, SCT Tuner,with Tunes from innovative Diesel,4 inch Donahoe lift,ARP headstuds,AFE Stage 2 intake,MBRP 4 inch Exhaust,4:30 gears from unitrax,18 inch KMC wheels(black) with 35 inch Toyo M/T's.
440 whp 800 torque.
slp mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

I heard that exedy is the best since they dont "add" material.
I guess a good way to look at it is its similar to the difference in
regrinds and billet camshafts.

just my .02
irishpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 12:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

a friend of mine had a dual friction centerforce clutch in his LS integra and he was sprayin a 75 shot and the clutch held up very well. he then put a built type R motor in it and the clutch still held up well. I put the same clutch in my prelude and i'm plannin on sprayin once my cars outta the shop. the clutch also feels almost like the stock clutch when ur driving until you bang a gear, then it grabs really strong. i didn't get a chance to bang gears yet cuz my car was so untuned it was actually losing power at vtec Xover. but my buddies teg was chripin 3rd. it's a nice clutch. just make sure you get a flywheel as well.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Clutchmaster is definetly the only way to go. For a true 200whp vehicle I would say either a Stage one, or a stage 2. I personally would do a stage 2. Same great OEM pedal feel with about 60% more clamping power. I am running a Stage 3 for a car thats projected to make 250whp NA, and about 350whp on the juice. The person above who had a Stage 3 "fry" on him makes me question the install or possibly a defective clutch. A stage 3 has more than double(120%) the clamping power over stock and is great for cars with under 400whp. CM are also much easier on your engines rotating assembly and main bearings. You pay for quality. Exedy,ACT I dont think are nearly as good in design and quality.

Last edited by Ritteri; 03-11-2003 at 09:13 PM.
Ritteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 11:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
respect your cable man

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
aern't clutch rated in torque instead of horsepower?

as for clutchmasters, my friend has a stage 3 in his del sol thats making 260 horsepower and 220 torque and it can't hold the power
everyone I know swears by ACT clutches and from personal experiance they feel great

RIP Guru
2008.5 Titan
1990 240sx
apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 11:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

WHat motor does your friend have in his Del Sol? As for ratings torque should be the only rating, or as I thought clamping force(same thing in a way I guess), but for some reason alot of clutch companies will state a rough number what they think their clutches are good up too. I dont know why.

As for a delsol, we are talking about a completely different animal here, I dont know the specifics, clutch could be worn, not broken in properly, seriously abused etc. Even all out race clutches can be "abused", though and fail. But I have solely used clutchmasters

I look at it this way. The stock clutch was strong enough to hold the engines torque in all gears, even some really harsh launches. Its even good for most bolt on mods. Going to a clutch with over twice the clamping power should be just fine for engines with around 225-250 ft pounds of torque without any sweat.

But if this is just for draggin purposes, or all out launches, then regardless pedal feel doesnt matter, get something even more agressive.

But to come out with a statement, about a completely different vehicle and state it doesnt hold, I dont think is really useful. I myself know plenty of Exedy and Act clutches that have failed misearbly too, or wouldnt hold. Each one for a different reason too, many due to install and improper break in period, or just plain over abuse. Doesnt mean that they suck though.

But if you guys read the post this guy isnt goin out all nutz or anything. Determine the guys needs, not what "your brother's sister's boyfiriend" said about his car and clutch combo without any true details behind the setup. This person is looking for something that is going to have about 40-50whp more than stock, maybe 15-25 more ft. pounds of torque. At this stage his stock clutch would probably work just fine. But going to a Stage 1 or 2 will give the pedal feel a bit firmer feel, and will yield him 20-60% more clamping force. Which will allow him to launch and engage much quicker over stock. If he doesnt think thats enough, grab a stage 3, but thats the most clamping power you can get while still maintaining a civil pedal engagement. If he wants ultra quick harsh engagement and a really harsh pedal feel grab a stage 4 or just get a race puck.

Last edited by Ritteri; 03-12-2003 at 11:42 AM.
Ritteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 12:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
respect your cable man

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
^^

used the delsol as a referance, it's a differnt car but still the same company for the clutch and it is put in right and was broken in properly, cause the motor was too
the motor is a boosted gsr with a civic type r tranny

from personal experience I'd choose an ACT had nothing but good luck with them

exedy also makes the flywheels for NISMO

RIP Guru
2008.5 Titan
1990 240sx
apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 05:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Boost Withdrawl... :(

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
wait so no matter what clutch you get and you have nitrous youre going to burn it out?? i dont know jack about what nitrous does to clutches so feel free to flame
MugenPoweredLude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 01:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

I'm running a clutch net sprung hub 6 puck with a clutch master flywheel ... clutch it great, doesn't slip, it's a pain in traffic .. But you get used to it.. and the flywheel is a major plus! Car accelerates a lot faster now! If you don't currently have a lighted flywheel, add one to your list of parts to buy, you'll love it!

-Mike
Test Pipe
MSD SCI - L, Coil & Wires.
AEM CAI
14.1@101
yellowh23a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 03:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Time for tuning

Exedy full face organic.
It's good for 300 whp and it feels stock. I let my girl in TX drive my car through Dallas traffic and she didn't have any trouble at all.
Call up Dave at R and D motorsports. He'll give you a fair price on one.
Edit: Exedy clutches are also used in the Signal auto cars and is one of the largest OEM manufacturers out there. I know alot of really fast guys that use Clutchmasters, but Exedy is definately not lacking quality.

Last edited by laughin2.2; 03-23-2003 at 03:09 PM.
laughin2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusec08 View Post
dual friction centerforce clutch
+1
jhussein1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

go with ACT, I have been very happy with it, stiff but grabs like crazy
yurihul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

you dont think that he has found a clutch in 9 years?
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Driveline Technical Discussion > Naturally Aspirated