Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Honda Prelude FAQ > 5th Gen
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2003, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Manual Transmission Woes- and Explanation

All,

This pertains mostly to the 5th gen, since so many people have them, but I suspect the 4th gen is susceptible to this problem, though I haven't heard of many complaints.

The absolute most common problem with the 5-speed has got to be the 5th gear grind. It would also seem that as this problem gets worse, reverse eventually becomes difficult to engage (especially when hot) and eventually goes out completely. I know several people this has happened to, me being one of them.

I know now why this occurs; after lengthy analysis while repairing a '98SH 5 speed tranny, the problem is obvious.

Here are the parts:

http://www.ntpog.org/articles/5g_tranny/Img_4866.jpg

And here's reverse:

http://www.ntpog.org/articles/5g_tranny/Img_4867.jpg

Here's a closeup of the 5th/reverse fork interaction (in neutral):

http://www.ntpog.org/articles/5g_tranny/Img_4871.jpg

Here's how it works. Note that the 5th gear shift fork moves down to go into 5th, but has to move up in order to actuate the reverse shift fork (though it doesn't do anything with 5th gear):

http://www.ntpog.org/articles/5g_tranny/Img_4872.jpg

Here it is in 5th:

http://www.ntpog.org/articles/5g_tranny/Img_4873.jpg

http://www.ntpog.org/articles/5g_tranny/Img_4874.jpg

And finally, in reverse:

http://www.ntpog.org/articles/5g_tranny/Img_4875.jpg

http://www.ntpog.org/articles/5g_tranny/Img_4876.jpg

Now, what does this mean? Well, as you munch 5th gear, the synchro sleeve takes a beating. As you may notice it slides over the hub to engage with the 5th gear mating teeth and lock it on the mainshaft. OK, but the sleeve doesn't mate to anything in reverse. Well, it has to move up off of the hub in reverse, though- which can't happen if the teeth have mushroomed out such that the sleeve binds on the hub:

http://www.ntpog.org/articles/5g_tranny/Img_4878.jpg

http://www.ntpog.org/articles/5g_tranny/Img_4879.jpg

This is what happens. It's all that happens. If you happen to get reverse engaged halfway and you grind, QUIT! Grinding reverse will damage the reverse gear on the countershaft and damage the mainshaft itself (reverse is machined directly into it). What happens is that the idler gear doesn't drop down all the way, and all the reverse gears just grind. You can also widen the "pinch" of the reverse shift fork on the idler gear, which will mandate replacement of the shift fork.

What's the fix? If reverse quits and everything else is OK but grinding in 5th (or you *just* have grinding in 5th), you can just replace the reverse synchro pack. This is pretty easy as it doesn't require mainshaft/countershaft removal, just removal of the reverse fork and you can "work" it off (moving the 5th gear shift fork out of the way).

I thought this would be handy for some of you, if not for repair, then for peace of mind. I know I'm glad to finally know WTF was going on inside of the gearbox. @#$%! Honda and their brittle transmissions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2003, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's not just Honda, actually. Nissans have this problem as well. I used to own an NX2000 hatchback, and one night on the freeway, it kept popping out of 5th gear. It would grind when I popped it back in. It required a new shift fork, and I believe the synchros were screwed. I checked online with sr20.net (or someting like that) and it seemed like a lot of Nissan owners had this same problem. They called it the 5th Gear Grind Pop-out issue, and based on a poll, about 50% the owners of Nissan NX's, Sentra-R's, and Infiniti G20's had this problem, and was most common around and over 90K miles. As Nissan would not fix this problem under warrantee, a lot of owners swore never to buy Nissans again. I was one of them. With a worn clutch along with the other problems, multiple shops quoted me at least $2000 to fix, and with the car worth not much more than that (it was a 1992 with $135K miles), i said F it and threw the money down on my 5th gen instead.

And now I hear about this... great... Well, not much we can do about it now is, there?

Could we help prevent / prolong this from happening by taking care of the transmission and not giving it too much wear-and-tear? Would double-clutch downshifts save our transmission from this problem? Avoiding gear grinds, and forcing the car into a gear doesn't want to go into, would those help as well? Or is this just basically inevitable?

Thanks for the insight Marcucci.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey i thought 3rd gear was the first gear to go out usually??
Old 02-06-2003, 11:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
I want to be a raper

my reverse gear grinds occasionally (ive had the problem u described before but got it fixed) what should i do?
Old 02-07-2003, 04:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member
The Original Caged Animal

my 4th gen is doing the exact same thing... why oh why does honda (or whoever they contracted to make the tranny for them) suck so bad?

- M

'02 Maxima SE
'93 Prelude vtec - sold
Old 02-07-2003, 06:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
powered by oyster sauce

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thanks for the info, never really seen a transmission before

I've been able to avoid the 5th gear grind, but I think I might shift differently than other people.

When I go to 5th, it's not a fast, diagonal motion like the 2nd to 3rd gear shift. Rather, I put the lever in the neutral position, move it all the way to the right, then up into 5th. I do it fairly quickly but still much slower than the other shifts. I don't know if this allows for better synchronization because my RPM is dropping more between the shift?

I have gotten into the habit of putting it into a forward gear first before trying to engage Reverse, and I haven't had the lockout/grind problems since...although they would probably occur if I went straight for reverse.

XBOX Live: ials
Old 02-07-2003, 08:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Simon, u granny shifter!!!!

Seriously though, does putting it into a fwd gear b4 rev. gear help? I don't encounter lockout of rev. often(maybe 10% of the time?) and this is the exp. I've had w/all manual cars. I just make sure I don't shift into fwd. or rev. while the car's momentum is going the other direction.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
powered by oyster sauce

Quote:
Originally posted by Two-Five Boy
Simon, u granny shifter!!!!

Seriously though, does putting it into a fwd gear b4 rev. gear help? I don't encounter lockout of rev. often(maybe 10% of the time?) and this is the exp. I've had w/all manual cars. I just make sure I don't shift into fwd. or rev. while the car's momentum is going the other direction.
Haha Yes, it does help. I read a really good article on transmissions once online (can't find it now) and it explained why. Something like when you place it in a forward gear first, it lines up everything better for reverse? Not sure. In any case it has become so routine that I don't even realize I do it anymore

XBOX Live: ials
Old 02-07-2003, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired, sorta

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
marccuci is a pimp..
thanks for the info
Old 02-07-2003, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
artificially sweet

Quote:
Originally posted by shik0me

Haha Yes, it does help. I read a really good article on transmissions once online (can't find it now) and it explained why. Something like when you place it in a forward gear first, it lines up everything better for reverse? Not sure. In any case it has become so routine that I don't even realize I do it anymore
I do that too, I would say my reverse doesn't latch on 50% of the time. I've made it a habit to shift into 1st then reverse and if that doesn't work I rev the engine a little (I don't even think it has anything to do with it, someone mentioned it works before so maybe it's a psychological thing )

I've never grinded (ground?) in 5th gear but my tranny does act up a lot. For example if I'm at a rolling stop going 2-3mph I cannot shift into first for the love of God so I gotta go into 2nd which then causes that painful sluggish feeling.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
doe
no diggity

I periodically grind from 1st to 2nd....could that be caused by trying to shift too fast?
Old 02-07-2003, 05:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member
VTEC On Ice = BAD

I just wanted to say "Thank You"

Marruci, you are an invaluable asset here at PO and I am DAMN glad to have you here to explain this. Very nice pics too

Grover

Old 02-07-2003, 07:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Eh. :(

FAQ! FAQ!
Old 02-08-2003, 02:11 PM   #14 (permalink)