Honda Prelude Online banner

Restoring your faded speaker grills

8K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Prelude2War 
#1 · (Edited)
Before:

After:

What I used:

EDIT: The blue shirt I was wearing got kinda ruined, so wear something you don't care about. And wear gloves or your hands will be navy blue!

I went to Wal-Mart and bought Rit in Navy blue, found in the fabric care section. I bought one package.

1. Disconnect and remove your speaker grills.
To remove your speaker grills:
-From your trunk you can see how the grill/speaker combo is mounted.
-Use a 10mm socket to remove the nuts. There are 3 nuts for each speaker/grill
-Remove from them from the inside of the car/disconnect the harness
-Once out you can see 3 silver screws, these are what hold the speaker in.
-Remove the screws and the speaker and your left with the grilles.

2. I used a metal stainless pot that both of the grilles could fit into on top of each other. I filled 3/4's of it with water (so when you toss em' in ther it won't overflow).

3. My stove had settings like: warm-low-med-high
First I just warmed up the water on the medium setting, after it was pretty warm I brought it down to "warm" and then I poured the whole package of Rit in there and stirred.

(EDIT: I forgot to mention that my stove was electric)

4. After it was mixed I tossed one of the grills in facing upward and then the other facing downward. I stirred/ read po.com; stirred/read po.com, stirred/read po.com. After about twenty minutes they were the desired color and then I removed them and rinsed them in warm water and then in cold.

The mistake I made was I took them out early. When fabric is soaking wet it looks darker. In the After picture they look pretty dark but they are one shade lighter than I would like. So I recomend maybe about 25-30 mins.

So make sure you don't get rid of the water/rit mixture early. Leave it so if it didn't come out right you can dunk them again.
good luck

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.