Honda Prelude Online banner

New Formula Red 4g

13K views 52 replies 19 participants last post by  gotjnco 
#1 · (Edited)
I feel like I have put it off long enough and I should probably make a thread in here. Car was originally a 93 Si, factory color was milano red but for some reason had been painted this red pearl that looked terrible and faded badly.

Here it is early in it's life, yes it came with 18's...

Finally gave it some extra power...

Also did the Hytech Tri-Y rep and a custom exhaust w/HKS Hi Power Ti muffler.

Finally got some new wheels, this pic was too big I felt to directly host

This came next along with a 68mm Omni power TB and S300

Recently though I finally decided it was time to paint since the roof started rusting along the windshield, the people who last put that windshield in were obviously butchers. So with working at the dealer I used my nice discount to buy all this...

Windshield
Windshield molding
Windshield clips
Roof moldings
Clips for roof moldings
Door moldings
Carpet
Rear glass seal
Rear glass lower trim
Front lip (I never had one)
Tail light gaskets
New front bumper
New sunroof panel
Sunroof panel seal

Then I stripped the car bare, no interior, even body grommets pulled. Body shop guy did an amazing job with the rust, cut the metal out and welding new metal in. You'd never know it was ever there, just sucks I don't have any before pics but he may since I noticed him snapping pics before spraying the other day.

Here is how it sits now, with the main body, trunk, rear wing(not on), side mirrors(totally disassembled and not on) and door handles(not on) painted, cleared and buffed. He texted me these while I was at work today.

Pretty much it got a full color change, everything that could be removed was. Car also has your usual things like JDM 1 piece black headlights, JDM side markers, CC delete, EGR delete, antenna shaved(the right way with welding),JDM window visors and EL gauge conversion.

Next Friday when I'm off, since he wont be there tomorrow cause it's Sunday I should be able to get some more pics of the finished outer panels as well as start putting it back together. Gonna try to get some professional pics taken of the finished product.

Thanks for looking.

See less See more
#30 ·
Thanks all, only thing that seems to be remaining is my traction bar, seems like ESP was backed up for the holidays but it should be shipping out any day. Gonna more than likely halt production for a time to save for a Nissan 180SX, an Evo X has made me want turbo but I don't wanna boost a FWD.

#31 ·
Well, looks like money needs to be dumped into the lude, was changing everything so that I could have 0 camber in front with a tiny bit negative rear, pretty much stock alignment but while having no fender gap. Put the wheels back on and was about to drive the car over to the alignment rack at work and the worst happens, front struts collapsed while fully extended, I could fit my fist between the fender and wheel in the front. Drove over the rack and made it fall back down close to where it should be but the front is totally locked, no travel at all, bounces like a pogo stick.

Looking at new setup, currently has Tein basics, been on for 3+ years, possibly gonna go GC/Koni, hopefully it lasts longer.

#32 ·
The Koni/GC setup is a very nice setup.

If you want to make the back end a little happy, run a higher rear rate, which helps rotate the rear out. :)

#33 ·
The car already felt like it had oversteer before, probably because the alignment was set to have 0 camber in front before the camber kit broke. Any time I pulled out of my work making a right turn with a little gas it felt like it wanted to kick around the rear, the LSD might have been contributing to it as well since it's going to want to put more power to the wheel that isn't rotating as fast which would be the outside.

I did some homework last night and no coilovers really have a warranty over 1 year which is understandable given the nature of what they are meant for and how many people buy them just to slam the car. According to tein mine were overdue for an overhaul, they recommend it every 3 years or 36k, had mine for 3.5 years. Overhauling them only costs $75 a shock and their east coast branch is close, Georgia, so shipping shouldn't be much. I had been wanting to upgrade to the Flex for a long time so I just picked those up since people who had those and the GC/Koni liked the Flex better and a little down the road I'll just have the Basic's rebuilt and maybe keep them for a backup so that the Flex's can be properly serviced every 3 years.

#37 ·

No more camber kits, almost -3 all around.

Hopefully soon I can retire it to the garage, drove a 95 5 speed Accord LX that was in mint condition, gonna look for one as a beater. Gears were so long I could use 2 gears lower than my car and be at the same speed and RPM, don't know why anyone would use an Accord transmission in a Prelude, just keeps making people think Preludes are slow.

#40 ·
Long overdue update.

Did front brake OEM upgrade using 01 calipers with some Si VTEC front rotors and OEM pads. Calipers were bought from carfanatic98.

Dirty

Cleaned with wire wheel+air drill

Painted with silver caliper paint so they stay clean

Installed

Cut the rear rotors while I was at it since they were grooved and had a slight shake while braking

No pics of long ago mentioned traction bar since everyone has seen them. Was gonna put some braided Goodridge lines I've had forever on but got too lazy and had already been at work for like 12hrs.

Surprisingly they fill up the 16" wheels quite a bit.

#43 · (Edited)
Rota Boost, 16x7 +43, can't justify spending $2k+ for wheels when my car could go a hell of a lot faster with $2k.

Car stays in the garage 5 days out of the week, bought a 04 Accord EX-L, 4cyl, 5spd for daily driving, realized that a modified car is the worst daily driver.

Simple decision considering the only time we do more than general maintenance (fluids,tires,brakes) on these models at the dealer it's something small like the secondary O2 sensor. The newer chain driven engines need next to no maintenance, they rarely even have oil leaks and have yet to see a car where the chain needed replacement, some over 300k mi.

#44 ·
Hey Alex,

Been a while, the car is looking good. It's Grant, btw. You worked on my silver 01 SH, I've long since sold it. Been almost 2 years now. I do kinda miss my Prelude, but the CRX game is treating me well. Doesn't take much power to make those things move but damn parts are hard to find, and if you find them, be prepared to pay for them. It's been a few months since you updated, anything new?

#45 ·
Don't mean to thread jack, just figured I'd share. All original, 220k and happily climbing. Phenomenal gas mileage. It's currently (as we speak) at the body shop getting all the rust and dings removed and a full body respray. I have a DOHC ZC sitting off to the side waiting to in. And it's sitting on Kosei K1's as well, I ditched the black Rotas.

#46 · (Edited)
Hey Grant, yeah I just decided to get away from car forums other than to look at worth while things like 98vtec's, NAH2B's, Rosko's or 71dsp's builds since the huge amount of stupid questions and mis information gets annoying to look at after a while.

The car is still rarely driven, only recently put new tires on it, 215/45R16 Khumo Ecsta XS, really nice tire, wont drive it in the rain anymore for sure though since it's a dry performance tire. New guy at work is trying to convince me to do more work to this thing, he has a AP2 S2K dumped on some white w/polished lip CCW's, not sure if you've seen it around, it's red. So maybe I'll play with this car some, I still work at the Honda dealer too btw.

#47 ·
I understand that, now that the CRX is finished and beautiful I want to take it off the road and buy another daily. To be honest I've caught myself looking at Preludes on the internet, wishing I could buy another one. Definitely the nicest car Ive owned to date. I think if I ever get another one, itd have to be a 4th gen with an h22a in it. I hope youre doing well and Honda is still treating you well, Ive seen you at the Regency mall periodically getting lunch with your coworkers.

#51 ·
Car looks great man. I haven't read this thread yet, but I'm glad I did. I sure do love when people restore these things to near-new levels of detail. Whatever way you'll go next with it is sure to be just as great. Keep up the great work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.