» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Other Discussion > Members' Rides
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
From Day One- 1997 Prelude Build (Rice to Nice)

Been on the forum for a little while and have talked to a few of you guys already about this build I've been working on. I'll just start from day one.

Starting from Rice, er, scratch i mean.
Oct. 2008

Decided to do a few mods since the timing belt shredded up. I thought for sure that the motor was done for so I kinda jumped the ball on a good offer for a complete built head and block that consisted of:
Full Race H22 head by Endyn
Skunk2 Tuner 2 cams and gears
Skunk2 springs, retainers
Supertech Nitride coated flat-face valves
Darton MID Sleeved block by ERL (89.5mm bore) 2.3.
Wiseco Pistons
Crower I beam rods
Knife-edged crank
Pro Drive oil pump
OBX pan
ACL Bearings
ARP fittings
Greddy Extreme Timing Belt
ACT Pro Light 9.9lb flywheel
4 puck clutch

I obviously couldn't even think about completing this task alone, so I went to Mike Glaser, who soon became a really great friend of mine. Having extensive experience in the automotive world, I knew I had nothing to worry about when I asked him for the favor. And a big thanks to Jeremy for all the complicated wiring and tuning.

This is where it all started.

Picked up a Skunk2 IM, DC Header,

A little bit of rewiring for the change from OBD2 to OBD1 as well as the addition of a genuine P72 and Hondata S300.

No more chrome!

This is how she was after the build that completed on 5/31/09... and a good wax later.

4 thousand miles later, And.... this is how she is still sitting today...

....Yeah. By now, you're probably wondering what the hell happened. So, let me enlighten you.
My brand spankin' new ERL Darton MID sleeved block decided to crack due to improper sleeve installation.
At least, that's what ERL told me until they decided not to warranty the block and screwed me out of 2k. Apparently, they don't even have an established warranty system at all! They even had the kahunas to say "We can build you a new one if you like for around 2300". Uh, no.
So, with a completely useless block, and an incapacitated prelude, I was forced to leave her parked until I could come up with the cash to get her rolling again.
Well, that time has finally come. I decided to flip ERL the birdie and went searching for a reputable company that knew how to keep customers and kept a high level of quality in their work. With this in mind, I discovered Race Engine Development out of CA. Steve is the real thing when it comes to the Darton MID sleeve. After all, being the guy who designed, and holds the patent, his words made complete sense. "If I can't sleeve it right, nobody can".
Currently, he's working on the new block. I decided to use the same pistons and rods, since they were in great shape minus the #2 rod that suffered some scorching when the block cracked. The new block will be almost identical to the first one, other than having the 55mm mains that only came in the 98-01 H22A4's. This required a new crank, obviously.
Luckily, 98Luder, from the forum, had a low mileage H22 crank that was in excellent shape and for an unbeatable price. Thx again 98Luder. +1!
I sent the crank to Steve so he can do his magic.
I'm happy to say that I got my hands dirty on the prelude today for the first time in quite a while. While waiting for the block to be finished, I decided to work on the appearance.

This is what we did today. (4-7-2010)

I decided to do quite a few other changes that were way past due.
Went with the Extreme Dimensions Type M (Mugen Replica) duraflex kit.

After a couple of hours, we finished all the trimming and adjustments required to get the front bumper to line up nice. The pic below is of the bumper just kinda propped, not bolted on, which explains the huge gap.

We'll be working on the rest of the kit soon, I'll keep this updated as much as possible.

Last edited by Built_5thGen; 04-23-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Built_5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Man at that first picture all i can think of is poor, poor Lude didnt do anything to deserve that,

But at least now it looks like the Lude is in good hands and for the mugen bumper! Keep it up!

-Aaron
Dog_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I kinda liked the rear bumper, wasnt TOO Xtreme! But very much liking the mugen bumper, cant wait to c more pics
KaZi61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have the same Dureflex Mugen replica bumper. How are you going to install it? Bolt it straight on or over the top of the OEM bumper?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_of_War View Post
Man at that first picture all i can think of is poor, poor Lude didnt do anything to deserve that,

But at least now it looks like the Lude is in good hands and for the mugen bumper! Keep it up!
I know. To be completely honest, when I first bought the car, I was looking at the condition and cleanliness of it all. And, a lil part of me kinda liked the body kit . But I always saw room for improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaZi61 View Post
I kinda liked the rear bumper, wasnt TOO Xtreme! But very much liking the mugen bumper, cant wait to c more pics
The rear bumper was the only part that I really cared about. Mainly because the previous owner took it to a quality shop to have the exhaust tips line up perfectly. But, there's nothing like your rear bumper popping off and dragging along the road after hitting a speed bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinbadman View Post
I have the same Dureflex Mugen replica bumper. How are you going to install it? Bolt it straight on or over the top of the OEM bumper?
My buddy Mike came up with an idea for that. I'm assuming you're talking about how the rear addons seem like they would be impossible to just snap on the rear bumper. We're gonna attach a strip of thin metal to the bumper, in the shape and curve of the rear bumper. Then, spot weld a bracket to the strip to fasten the addons to. We're also planning on fabricating a thin section of fiberglass in-between the two addons to create a custom rear lip. I just can't see putting those on without something between them to smooth out the profile from the rear. We'll be working on that tonight probably. Looks like you did a pretty good job on your kit. Looks nice

Last edited by Built_5thGen; 04-08-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: -2 reviews
I cannot believe that you got completely screwed out of an entire built block.
pIERCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pIERCE View Post
I cannot believe that you got completely screwed out of an entire built block.
Me either. However, I'd like to suggest that if anyone on here deals anything at a high price, they MUST right up a receipt and HAVE THE BUYER OR SELLER SIGN AND DATE IT!!!

I say this because the ERL block wasn't my build, and the crack was neither my or the seller's fault. But the seller still sent me back 500 bucks for my trouble.

ERL wouldn't warranty the block because I wasn't the original customer. Even though the block was never ran until I swapped it into the lude, they told me that I had no proof if I had been driving it correctly .

I said "WTF? So, you guys are basically screwing me out of 2k because I'm not the original customer, EVEN when after the inspection of the block, you came to the conclusion that the cracked formed due to improper installation?"

Yeah. I was pretty pissed. And get this...
Endyn (Energy Dynamics), who builds Honda's race heads, used to deal with ERL until about a year ago. That's when their quality went downhill and ERL sent Endyn a block that cracked due to improper installation. So guess what they did? Ended the contract with ERL and signed up with Race Engine Development, who builds Honda's Time Attack motors, specifically the NSX.

So, I don't feel so alone when I think about how I'm an extremely unhappy ex-customer of ERL.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: -2 reviews
They build Honda's race engines? Holy ****! That's pretty heavy.

I bet their product isn't exactly affordable though.
pIERCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pIERCE View Post
They build Honda's race engines? Holy ****! That's pretty heavy.

I bet their product isn't exactly affordable though.
Actually you might be surprised. I'm paying a grand total of about 1400 for the freshly sleeved block, with all machine work done. Vs. 2100-2300 through ERL
Old 04-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

I gave Skunk2 a call today and ordered my Skunk2 Pro 1 cams, valves, springs, retainers and spring bases. They should arrive by mid next week.

We didn't have much time tonight so we almost got the front bumper perfected. However, I did get a few more pics of some parts that will be going on the lude soon.

This is the new RMF replica header that seems to have no part number or anything to identify itself by. The work looks pretty high quality and the ports/runners are definitely big enough. Has the 2.5" collector. I suppose we'll just have to see what kind of numbers it'll produce later on.

Apexi WS2 universal muffler.

I decided to go with the Integra Type R cluster because of the 10k tach vs the stock prelude 8k.

The same 2006 Acura Type S 17" wheels with new 225/45R Falken Azenis tires.

A quick picture of the rest of the body kit that will be the next step.

Last edited by Built_5thGen; 04-23-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built_5thGen View Post
I'm assuming you're talking about how the rear addons seem like they would be impossible to just snap on the rear bumper.
Im talking about the Mugen front bumper, the duraflex is so thin that its almost impossible to get the lines straight. My body shop guy installed mine over the top of the OEM bumper, cutting away pieces of the OEM bumper so it would all line up.

The rear ad-ons are easy, use plastic rivets and bonding adhesive.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
that all looks great man.good luck with it all.that thing is going to be a beast when its done
aboone78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinbadman View Post
Im talking about the Mugen front bumper, the duraflex is so thin that its almost impossible to get the lines straight. My body shop guy installed mine over the top of the OEM bumper, cutting away pieces of the OEM bumper so it would all line up.

The rear ad-ons are easy, use plastic rivets and bonding adhesive.
Well, the front bumper was just time consuming more than anything. Actually, I thought that the bumper was pretty thick (around 1/3rd of an inch) where it was important. I didn't see much flexibility at all where the bumper attaches to the fenders. It seemed to be pretty thin on the grill section. We had to screw body screws through the edge closest to the radiator, and attach a piece of angle aluminum to straighten out an imperfection. I'll show pics of that when it's finished.
We're planning to use the metal strips on the rears for stability.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #14 (permalink)

ive decided to get the duraflex mugen front bumper as well.my whole front end needs to be painted anyway so now is the perfect time.it should look awesome.good luck with yours
Old 04-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboone78 View Post
ive decided to get the duraflex mugen front bumper as well.my whole front end needs to be painted anyway so now is the perfect time.it should look awesome.good luck with yours
Good luck on yours too. Before you order that bumper tho, make sure you wont need anymore body kit parts. The shipping would be the same online for one bumper as the whole kit would be. Like you said, this would be a great time for upgrades!
Old 04-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built_5thGen View Post
Good luck on yours too. Before you order that bumper tho, make sure you wont need anymore body kit parts. The shipping would be the same online for one bumper as the whole kit would be. Like you said, this would be a great time for upgrades!
ya im getting the front bumper and rear valences and keeping my ebay sides(they look just like OEM).im pumped b/c ill be the only lude owner in indy to have the mugen kit
Old 04-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Wow i'd be soooo FVCKING PISSED about that block. Great choice on going with Race Engine Development though, I've heard a lot of excellent things about them. Can't wait to see how the rest of the lude comes out, and I'm really curious to see how you're gonna do the rear bumper, can't really picture it in my head on how it'd look but i'm sure it'll come out great. You're clearly putting a LOT of effort into this, it'll definitely pay off in the end. Good luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifex View Post
Noob thread: check
Kronn search post: check
pierce olive branch: check
teedot noobulization: check

Welcome to PO.com, enjoy your stay.
tom27897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
ya im getting the front bumper and rear valences and keeping my ebay sides(they look just like OEM).im pumped b/c ill be the only lude owner in indy to have the mugen kit
Indy? Holy sh*t. I'm just across the river, about 40 mins south of L-ville! Ever go to the meets in Clarksville?
Dammit! This means another mugen kit would be in my proximity...
That's it. Time to come up with a local prelude meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom27897 View Post
Wow i'd be soooo FVCKING PISSED about that block. Great choice on going with Race Engine Development though, I've heard a lot of excellent things about them. Can't wait to see how the rest of the lude comes out, and I'm really curious to see how you're gonna do the rear bumper, can't really picture it in my head on how it'd look but i'm sure it'll come out great. You're clearly putting a LOT of effort into this, it'll definitely pay off in the end. Good luck!!!
Man, I totally lost my bearing when they slithered their way out of the warranty. I just wish I had them recorded saying how it was an installation defect. I'd probably taken them to small claims.
I still haven't decided on whether to mold the rear addons to the side of the bumper, or to fabricate a brace to the bottom of the bumper and fit it on there. I guess it comes down to how low I want the rear to sit.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

i never really go to Kentucky but i would totally be up for a meet pending the time and day.i will just need a few months to get this all done the way i want.maybe we can meet in the middle or something idk.Indylude18 needs to come too.

Last edited by aboone78; 04-10-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Indylude18 needs to come too.
It could happen.....

Bluetop H23a Vtec Swapped NHBP '99 Base
indylude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Other Discussion > Members' Rides