Been on the forum for a little while and have talked to a few of you guys already about this build I've been working on. I'll just start from day one.
Starting from Rice, er, scratch i mean.
Decided to do a few mods since the timing belt shredded up. I thought for sure that the motor was done for so I kinda jumped the ball on a good offer for a complete built head and block that consisted of:
Full Race H22 head by Endyn
Skunk2 Tuner 2 cams and gears
Skunk2 springs, retainers
Supertech Nitride coated flat-face valves
Darton MID Sleeved block by ERL (89.5mm bore) 2.3.
Crower I beam rods
Pro Drive oil pump
Greddy Extreme Timing Belt
ACT Pro Light 9.9lb flywheel
4 puck clutch
I obviously couldn't even think about completing this task alone, so I went to Mike Glaser, who soon became a really great friend of mine. Having extensive experience in the automotive world, I knew I had nothing to worry about when I asked him for the favor. And a big thanks to Jeremy for all the complicated wiring and tuning.
This is where it all started.
Picked up a Skunk2 IM, DC Header,
A little bit of rewiring for the change from OBD2 to OBD1 as well as the addition of a genuine P72 and Hondata S300.
No more chrome!
This is how she was after the build that completed on 5/31/09... and a good wax later.
4 thousand miles later, And.... this is how she is still sitting today...
....Yeah. By now, you're probably wondering what the hell happened. So, let me enlighten you.
My brand spankin' new ERL Darton MID sleeved block decided to crack due to improper sleeve installation.
At least, that's what ERL told me until they decided not to warranty the block and screwed me out of 2k. Apparently, they don't even have an established warranty system at all! They even had the kahunas to say "We can build you a new one if you like for around 2300". Uh, no.
So, with a completely useless block, and an incapacitated prelude, I was forced to leave her parked until I could come up with the cash to get her rolling again.
Well, that time has finally come. I decided to flip ERL the birdie and went searching for a reputable company that knew how to keep customers and kept a high level of quality in their work. With this in mind, I discovered Race Engine Development out of CA. Steve is the real thing when it comes to the Darton MID sleeve. After all, being the guy who designed, and holds the patent, his words made complete sense. "If I can't sleeve it right, nobody can".
Currently, he's working on the new block. I decided to use the same pistons and rods, since they were in great shape minus the #2 rod that suffered some scorching when the block cracked. The new block will be almost identical to the first one, other than having the 55mm mains that only came in the 98-01 H22A4's. This required a new crank, obviously.
Luckily, 98Luder, from the forum, had a low mileage H22 crank that was in excellent shape and for an unbeatable price. Thx again 98Luder. +1!
I sent the crank to Steve so he can do his magic.
I'm happy to say that I got my hands dirty on the prelude today for the first time in quite a while. While waiting for the block to be finished, I decided to work on the appearance.
This is what we did today. (4-7-2010)
I decided to do quite a few other changes that were way past due.
Went with the Extreme Dimensions Type M (Mugen Replica) duraflex kit.
After a couple of hours, we finished all the trimming and adjustments required to get the front bumper to line up nice. The pic below is of the bumper just kinda propped, not bolted on, which explains the huge gap.
We'll be working on the rest of the kit soon, I'll keep this updated as much as possible.