» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Other Discussion > Members' Rides
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #41 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
THAT IS THE ONE. Yup. Lol, I might be attending Kent next fall. That'd be sweet to have a Professor with a lude.
death_adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #42 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just got done reading thread...

and I love it- like previous people have said , I am on the edge of my seat - you are so close to perfecting this car - its amazing the amount of love is in this car - good read and im excited to see more
whalenbrinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #43 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
ZOMG! A DANCING BANANA!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Very well written, Sir.

Btw, what you said, about us possibly being where you once were, is true in my case. I'm currently deployed to Baghdad (SGT, US Army), with a JRSC in route to my house in Michigan =)

Only major difference, is I refuse to let others touch my car. I even did my own auto-manual conversion, because I didn't want anyone molesting my baby =)

V/r,
Mike

1999 Prelude (BB614+BB624+BB8), 2002 Monte Carlo, 1988 Wife, 2003 Rendezvous CXL AWD
RIP: 06 Sierra, 99 Yukon, 01 BB8, 97 BB614, 95 Intrepid, 88 Turbo Regal
* Don't ask me what's been done to the Prelude. It is not stock; and very few pieces still have the original VIN..
conjur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #44 (permalink)
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hey SGT, thanks for posting a reply. Yeah, you can certainly feel me on what it's like to have the money to buy parts and to ship them to your house, but yet feel so far away from them because you're not there. It sure was hell for me haha!

I was in Mosul from October 06 to December 07. By all accounts and purposes it was so much more quiet when we were there than it is now. Halfway through the tour, we relocated to Tal Afar which is way west of Mosul and is the closest FOB to the Syrian Border based on a map I saw.

But best of luck to you over there, I'll be heading back in May give or take, so I'm sure my slow nights will be spent reading all the Prelude Forums so much that my eyes hurt.

As for death adder, I told my sister today about your comment, she liked to hear her car got recognized haha. She's not totally in the dark about how they function, but if she wants to showcase her car, she'll have to make her own thread so we can get some sibling rivalry going on, haha!

She asks if you have the "really nice Acura" that she sees in her parking lot that she parks in at Kent State. I doubt it's you since you're on a Prelude Forum though, haha.

She also wants me to remind everyone that all the really GOOD pictures are the ones she has taken. So those high-speed up close dramatic photographs are more than likely her camera at work. I've lost my camera for the moment, which sucks because I am using a camera phone.

UPDATE!!!
The car is currently at a local muffler/tuner/weld shop right now getting the header on as well as the new cat. I'm still retaining the Greddy Evo 2 system for the moment, but that'll change as soon as I scrap up some more money.

Pictures to follow on how it looks in the engine bay as well as underneath the car.

My Build Thread: http://www.preludeonline.com/f82/bes...-world-237309/

1998 Honda Prelude Type SH White Diamond Pearl
2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Crystal Black Pearl
2016 Honda Pilot Touring AWD White Diamond Pearl
prepreludesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #45 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Heck, when I was at kent, the only prelude I saw was a silver 4th gen, but thats been a few years ago now.
AMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #46 (permalink)

damn dude that was a great read. Gave me something to do here at work (i work in a computer lab). haha that's such a sexy ass prelude...once again nice writeup
Old 10-03-2008, 06:39 AM   #47 (permalink)

crave ..... more...

damn I cant wait to hear more - been reading this twice at work - want more to read
whalenbrinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #48 (permalink)

Alright, the moment you've all been waiting for!

Where we last left off, Honda Bob has came into town, I got boost back but it was obvious the motor needed way more tuning. But tuning would get us nowhere with the huge amount of exhaust leaks (probably 4 in all reality) that I had.

I would venture to say that the Megan Racing Header held up okay on the 4 into 2 section but as for bolting up to the cat., that's where the first failure was. Then after the cat and then followed by the two 90 degree bends in the back which have been nothing more than a paper gasket put on over 3 years ago... When we took them out they were so brittle that they crumbled on touch.

So I called up my old friend, SGT Ewing and asked if he could help piece together and weld up my new system. For the record, after viewing the header I bought, I found out it's not a 4-2-1, it's actually a 4 into 1. This left me a little disappointed because I didn't ask the buyer for more pictures, but the construction seems solid and I'm sure top end gains will be nice.

SGT Ewing's friends helped me out and took the welding job two nights ago on Thursday, so we drove the motorcylce-sounding exhaust down to the shop where they welded it up. I don't know about the previous owner of this header, but we ended up having to cut a small bit out of the crossmember in order to make the pipe clear it. It doesn't seem like this will be too detrimental to handling after a quick drive.

The cut into the crossmember...

The exhaust (not the best picture)

The welding mated the header to a 2.5" into 3" "reducer" (I put it in quotes because how we did it, it's an "expander") and then it went into the new Random Technologies Cat. (3" into 3") and then since we didn't have another reducer, we ghetto-fabbed it into the flange of the Greddy Exhaust. This was only a quick fix of course, next month I'll invest in some mandrel bent pipe and straight pipe because it's pretty obvious that the Greddy Evo 2 pipe is not 2.5", it's more like 2.25" or 2 3/8" diameter. This was all going to have to make do for now. Then we called it a night.

The following day (yesterday, Friday) I had to spend a full day at work. Bob plugged away changing out my cylinder head for the newer one I had purchased. Immediately he noticed that the oil was extremely black which he theorized is a result of "blowby" in the combustion chamber. This doesn't mean my rings are bad, but because I was running so incredibly rich (seriously, 10:1 A/F was the norm driving down the street trying to maintain a steady speed). The oil had a large amount of unburnt gasoline in it, so it was pretty thick and disgusting.

Bob also had a problem getting one of my ARP Headstuds out and if you look closely in this picture below, you can see it's the one closest to the power steering pump, but all it required was lifting the block up to clear it and when he reinstalled it, he had to set it down over it (by the way, he had some help doing this, there's no way you could lift that head up with the supercharger bolted on by yourself).

My Prelude is getting ready for Halloween... I call it "the headless horseman"

That's much better...

The new cylinder head installation, although long, went very well and everything fit up very well. But there was one problem... Bob lost the top "fuel rail nut" that went on top of the fuel line banjo as you can see in this picture. But we took the bolt off of his 93' CRX and sure enough, it fit. Bob told me that most Honda's in the 90's had that nut interchangable.

look to the left of the blue Fuel Pressure Regulator... notice anything missing?

Anybody know what company makes these adjustable cam gears?

With the head all bolted up, we tackled the last two exhaust leaks in the system by using a Copper/Silicone gasket maker tube on the two flanges of the Greddy Exhaust.

In this picture you can see all the excess goop, but it's doing the trick

We let the gasket sealer set for about an hour and a half before we finally turned the crank....

Oops, had to take two false starts because the plug wires were in the wrong order. As much of a Honda Guru as Bob is, it's still possible to get the plug wires in the wrong order I suppose.

But then success! The engine turned over immediately and I noticed the strangest noise in the world coming from the cylinder head... absolutely no clicking at all! That's right, for the first time since the car was stock, the motor did not stall (water temp 75 degrees even!) and the motor just hummed along in a sound so sweet, I basically woke up the neighbors with my "woo hoos!" (imagine Homer Simpson saying it).

We did a little bit of fine tuning on the Hondata and since it was already 1:30 in the morning, we called it a night. Our Dyno Day was set for 11am the next day so we had our work cut out for us.

Bob looks sleepy at 1:30am

The next day, I got up to go fill up with fuel and get some other fuel, in the form of Carl's Jr. Big Breakfast Burger and Steak and Egg Burrito, delicious!

When I came back, we went about changing the oil with a new K&N Gold Filter, 5 Quarts of Royal Purple 20w-50 and added in some Lucas Oil Additive for the hell of it. After some checks... it was about 1045 and we were ready to get on the road. After going down the road, I asked bob if he remembered my power cable to charge the computer (we forsaw ourselves at the dyno all day) and he said no. Also, i was throwing the CPK sensor CEL code and we knew what we had to do (from our long experience with having that same code in January). It involves loosening ever so slightly the 3 bolts that hold the distributor to the head and carfully tapping it and front or back while resetting the CEL on the Hondata. Eventually, when it finds the perfect range, the CEL won't come back on and the problem is fixed.

So we saddled up again at 11:15am and set off down the road. While merging onto the onramp, I gave it some substantial throttle but heard a tiny pop. The AEM boost gauge showed I was just a "4" into vaccuum and it wasn't moving... Bob said "oh, that must be the vaccuum hose for the AEM gauge." So we pulled over in the gas station and I opened the hood knowing right where to look and so my eyes zoomed in on the hose that was, indeed, popped off but it wasn't until I reattached it that my eyes saw an even more disturbing problem... my supercharger belt was not even there... the whole thing had just blown up. Great.

So we went and bought a new belt (and bob got a new fuel banjo bolt for the CRX) and we drove back to the apartment. Now we're waiting and trying desperate attempts to cool the engine down enough to work on it before trying to replace the belt and get the car down to the dyno once more...

So close yet so far away!

Way too hot just now...

The tripod demonstrates yet ANOTHER wonderful use... best $20 ever spent!

Believe it or not, the frozen water bottles I keep in my freezer (not even intended for this purpose) are serving a purpose right now!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #49 (permalink)

We drove all the way to Evolution Motorsports around 3:15 and got there around 3:40, but as we arrived and were waiting for the go ahead to pull the car in, we were told the owners were going to a birthday party and they would be locking the doors. So great, we drove all that way to be told "not today."

But we drove around the city and up on the mountain and bob slowly but surely kept plugging away at increasing power and driveability with the Hondata as he sat with the laptop next to me.

The car is now running very very well. The boost is maxing at 7psi which although is not 9psi, is very close and could be a simple belt tightening away or it could be as a result of more exhaust flow which increases horsepower and decreases PSI due to efficiency increasing. Torque in a Honda is always a good thing and our Preludes have it, but now it's really got it and it feels wonderful. I know you're all just as anxious as I am to see these Dyno numbers, so I'll keep you posted! We're shooting for 260 at the wheels. 270 would blow my mind and 250 I could be content with, but based on what I've done to the car, I don't think this is out of reach.

And if I don't make it there, I'll whine like a little b**ch and blame it on high altitude, low octane and a slipping belt like all tuners do, ha!

Old 10-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #50 (permalink)

great report!!! oh ya.. Bob does look tired

My Flickr Page
PreludeVTEC01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #51 (permalink)

Dyno Day!

Alright Readers, the moment you've all been waiting for. By the end of this post at least one thing will be for sure... Phase 2 is complete on my project and Phase 3's parameters and goals become much more apparent.

The day started out at 9:00am when the apartment began stirring. Our goal was to start at 9:30, so we probably weren't going to make it on time, but we did after another tiny bout with the CPK sensor throwing another CEL. A quick reset actually cleared this problem for good but something tells me I know what caused this problem at the end of this post.

We arrived at 9:50 at Evolution Motorsports and we actually had to wait until 10:30 for the owner of the shop, Gabe, to show up. For the record I have never seen a DynoJet before, just a DynoPack at some Subaru Shop I bought my first exhaust from years before. But this was cool because you put the car on a lift and then it raised it to the level of the giant roller. Here's some pictures for those of you who are like me and are relatively new at this:

The rollers

The lift including the Lamba Meter plugged into the exhaust.

Gabe in the drivers seat

How the Dyno finds your timing parameters, just like a timing gun

So we basically jumped right into it after strapping down the car. We took out the Hondata ECU from behind the carpet and ran a line to the Dyno Computer and my laptop. We also hooked up the Lamba Meter to the exhaust and also a sensor around the last spark plug wire for timing purposes and away we went.

The first dyno pull showed a disappointing baseline (to me at least) of 196 horsepower and 212 ft/lbs of torque. The torque seemed impressive, but the top end left more to be desired. It was our first pull and it sounded really wild because we were reving the engine to 8,000rpm (because of my dual valve springs, we figured it was fine).

Okay, so we had our baseline, Bob did his thing on the laptop to adjust fuel maps and away we went again, 208 horsepower this time. A gain of 12 horsepower.

I could go on with all of our adjustments and runs, but we did probably 20 separate pulls on the dyno over 3 hours. The hardest part was trying to find (and keep on) the VTEC point. Sometimes the VTEC would just stop. At one point when it had stopped, Bob turned it back on and it killed the power curve and torque curve until the last 500rpm and then spiked hugely (literally from 140hp to 208hp in an instant). Since VTEC hit so violently, we also witnessed a puff of smoke come from the engine which alarmed everybody until we looked in the engine bay and noticed the oil dipstick had shot out. Radical.

But after some resetting, it got back on track and we witnessed a jump to 225 horsepower. At this point we stopped to examine the plugs and I decided to give up the Denso Iridiums (IK22) that I was saving for a special day (which had no date in particular). With the same settings though, we ran it again and picked up one (1) horsepower. The next run we made 229 and the final run we made 230 horsepower and 201 ft/lb of torque. At this point, we were noticing our Intake Temperatures to be around 155 degrees, and although it would probably be an accurate representation of the streets, we went to the gas station next door and grabbed a bag of ice to see if we could lower it.

I had a hard time finally finding a set of sparkplugs that were one heat range colder that could fit the prelude. But for the record, here's the kind you should all be using, Denso part number IK22. (IK20 are the stock heat range)

The surprising thing is, that with the bag of ice on top of the supercharger and intake temperatures at 105 degrees now, we ran it again and the horsepower went down to 228 HP. This was puzzling until you look at the big picture that we only ran 5psi on that run. For some reason, even with the next run hitting 230HP again, we still only topped out at 6psi.

As I mentioned before, I've seen this thing hit 9psi, and i know it's not slouch. I don't know what the problem with the supercharger was, the belt seemed sufficiently tight and relatively cool to the touch. But this is when we called it a day. The gains we made were impressive and I'm guessing that even more horsepower will happen once the exhaust gets fixed and expanded. I might even try to add on a larger throttle body to the mix to increase some airflow.

But the car runs hard and hits with a powerband that most cars on the streets of el paso will be afraid of. It's no turbocharged monster, but the whine of the supercharger should be sufficient in making others think twice.

With some spray, this car could really come alive, and the engine block can handle it. Can the transmission though? I don't know... but all of this is for another day. For right now, I'm going to enjoy what I've got.

...Or will I? After paying $100 for my 3+ hours on a dyno (quite the deal!) Kevin opened the gate for us to go out and he wanted to see me let it out on the road as I drove off. Well I showed him but then Bob saw the dummy light for the brake came on. The pedal ran soft and sunk to the floor quickly and suddenly the realization that this car still retained the nickname "White Diamond Disaster" just didn't come with engine.

We pulled over into a Checkers Autoparts store and examined the brake fluid, which looked fine, and then the engine bay, which also looked fine. But when pressing on the brake pedal and checking all 4 corners, we found the culprit to be the brake hose on the passengers rear wheel. It sprayed a fine mist in our face to boot. Nice. So we had to take it easy going home, careful not to get ourselves into any situations where having no brakes could cost us the car. We did make it home but now it sits in the parking lot, waiting for the time when it can come out again to play. Tomorrow it will be dropped off at a shop before I leave town so it can get fixed while I'm away.

*Sigh* and this is the life of a car nut, a real enthusiast who pours life and money into the car he wants so badly to run right, and at the moment he finally gets his power back, it's taken away because he can't control that power.

But the Prelude shall live to rule the night, that much I'm sure. The interior now must be cleaned up, my new floormats, door panels and roof need to be put on as well as the Recaros back in their rightful spot. The engine will get sprayed down and rechecked. The exhaust will get that last 8 feet or so of stainless steel pipe and muffler in 2.5" and then, and only then, will Stage 3 begin...

To be continued...

Now hold on! I promised in the previous post that I would whine if i didn't hit at least 250, but I'm not down about it. First of all, I believe in order of accuracy, DynoJet will be the most accurate (see: lowest) and something like a dynopack will be the highest (see: least accurate). But to start out from a base of 196 horsepower and increase 34 horsepower is something to be proud of. Yeah, I lost some torque, but wait till you see this power curve!

Shazam!

And yes, this is with VTEC on, and it's so seamless, that I lose no power at all. It kicks on at 4000rpm by the way, which may seem early, but at any other part in the powerband it wouldn't make sense because the lower cam was dropping power dramatically after 4,000rpm.

I'm guessing that although heat soak made a significant problem with power production, finishing the exhaust, adding on that throttle body and perhaps getting an intake to match (could this be the end of the top Fuel intake?!) will be next on the list to getting the power back. And also finding out what happened to my other 4 or 5 psi will also make a difference too!

As Charles Bronson once said "Dis ain't ovah"

Old 10-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #52 (permalink)
Lurkist

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
It's all because of the ice! It gives mad horsepower, yo!!!
Tee-Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #53 (permalink)

Ckp Cel

Hey, remember when I said that the engine was getting a CPK sensor? Here'sa theory... When the new head got put on the car, I used a brand new MSD Red Cap distributor cap. I liked the last one I got because at night you can see the individual sparks through the transparent cap and it's an interesting conversation starter.

But the new one I put on showed all the signs of a defect. First, notice how each terminal (post?) has warped and began to expand outward and away from the center, they're all not facing straight.

Second, this threw off the metal pieces in the inside of the cap.'

And third, there even began a "melt mark" on the side of the cap closest to the front of the car, although there was no significant heat source anywhere close to it!

see the posts? all over the place

just terrible

There's no reason for this melt mark at all! Why did it happen MSD?

Perhaps you should all take warning... my MSD Cap was great the first time, but this batch maybe has some defects...

Old 10-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #54 (permalink)

CF hood painted

Got a quick question, what was the price to get the CF hood painted like your sisters car?

Sister's car after the hood was refinished and painted like mine (that was my parent's birthday present, I got her the OEM front lip and painted it to match and it will be attached soon
[/QUOTE]

"2001 Type SH"
"We are the people our parents warned us about"

www.discounttiredirect.com
golfradict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #55 (permalink)

I can't give you an exact number, but I will put it at around $250 to $300 and here's why:

For my sister's birthday, I bought an OEM Lip from HandAaccessories.com and my sister had the pre-existing carbon fiber hood, but it was all f-ed up because the sun made these huge ugly spots on the clearcoat like you see other cars have on their regular paint (I call it sunburnt).

The parents agreed they'd pay for the hood to be refinished and painted in the pattern you see and I'd pay for the lip to be painted pearl white.

So if you cut the roughly $550 it was down the middle, you'll get something between what I quoted, although since the hood was a larger object to do, it might've been more.

I did all my bodywork at once so that's why I can't give you a price either (because my hood is painted the same).

So what's everybody think about the results about the car? No comments? No criticism? No poking fun?

"Throw me a frikin' bone here"

Old 10-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #56 (permalink)

great setup man! alot of hard work payed off! what tiens hood dampers did you use? cause i know they dont make them for the prelude but i heard the 94-01 integra hood dampers will fit the 5th gen?
steve's H22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #57 (permalink)

Yes, the hood dampers are from the 94-01 Integra. In my opinion, they are worth 3 times as much as they were (already $130). You can throw your hood prop away, unclutter your bay, give it some bling and it opens the hood higher than the stock location.

I'm going to recommend that you follow the writeup somebody posted on PreludePower (or was it PreludeZone?) either way, search for it, the guy did an awesome pictoral writeup and you'll want to listen to every bit of advice he gives because it's totally reliable and fits incredibly well.

It took me and my friend probably an hour and a half to do it, because we took our time and made sure we did it everything by the "book".

I encourage everyone to get these if for no other reason than how easy it makes it to work on the engine bay.

Good luck!

Old 10-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #58 (permalink)
Supporting Member
I hate this place UGHHHH

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
holy **** nice stuff man im sitting home drinking on Friday and this has been very entertaining good stuff man
Dfwbb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #59 (permalink)

thanks for the info man! yea im tired of using hood props at carshows, i always loved how the teins hood dampers look! glad now that i can! thanks
steve's H22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:03 AM   #60 (permalink)

If I may make a suggestion, check out my write-up on restoring your windshield trim thing
How To: Paint your faded exterior trim pieces - Preludepower.com

I noticed yours was faded like most of them are by now, it makes a huge difference and it's really easy
viper_boy403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Other Discussion > Members' Rides