» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Other Discussion > Members' Rides
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #501 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
While digging in so deep to the engine bay, I'm also addressing the need to change out the motor mounts. I will admit, companies that sell the polyurethane stiff mounts have a killer-looking product, but aside from the price tag, I continue to read about just how much vibrations these let into the car. Perhaps I am getting older, but I am at the point where I want to stop doing modifications that strip away the civility of the stock car and replace it with more of a "raw" driving experience. I already have a car that smells like unburnt fuel and is super loud. The suspension tells me whenever I drive over a pebble on the road by practically upsetting the body of the car, so I made the choice to just replace them all with OEM-style rubber mounts. New and clean mounts should still be respected with a build like mine and will leave me with all of my teeth in my mouth after a cruise.

So what mounts did I choose? The cheapest ones on eBay, haha! Remember: Budget! Even if these will wear out quicker than OEM produced ones, it's still okay because I drive so few miles on it every year and these were literally 1/4 to 1/6 of the price of OEM, so I can afford to change these out every 5 years and still end up saving money.

A couple of issues I've found out is that the rear mount is apparently shared with the 94-97 Accord, but you will have to drill out the holes with a 1/2" drill bit in order to accommodate the bolts. The transmission side mount is also $20 cheaper if you buy one made for the automatic transmission. But do not fret, it will absolutely work if you have a Base manual or an SH. It's just that the bracket that connects the transmission to the mount must be for a manual transmission. Overall I spent under $80 for both side mounts and the rear mount (the front mount was changed 5 years ago and still looks good).

Here are a couple pictures of how everything looks.

My Build Thread: http://www.preludeonline.com/f82/bes...-world-237309/

1998 Honda Prelude Type SH White Diamond Pearl
2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Crystal Black Pearl
2016 Honda Pilot Touring AWD White Diamond Pearl
prepreludesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #502 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How did you adjust your cam gears, while tuning, with the supercharger on the car?

I thought about doing cams and gears but I thought it would be too much of a PITA.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #503 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khufford View Post
How did you adjust your cam gears, while tuning, with the supercharger on the car?

I thought about doing cams and gears but I thought it would be too much of a PITA.
I never did, that's why I took them off and sold them after I took the camshafts out of the car. I could have adjusted them, but it wouldn't have made sense on a $-by-the-hour dyno because it would take at least 30 minutes to take the jackshaft plates off every time I would've adjusted it. The cylinder head came with them already installed, so I never messed with them.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:27 AM   #504 (permalink)

The only thing that was more neglected than the brake fluid on my car was probably the fuel filter. I can't tell when the last time it was changed. But now I'm going to make sure that I replace it with as good of a brand as I can trust for the next 10 years So in my opinion, what brand is more trusted out there than a K&N Fuel Filter? Also, since the fuel filter bracket was looking pretty rusty, I felt it was a great candidate to get powdercoated in a pearl white color. Nobody will probably ever see it, but I like the looks!

I think one of the biggest hassles I ran across with taking the cylinder head off of the block was how to disconnect the fuel line. I don't know why it was so hard, but I admit that I became so frustrated that I actually used my impact gun to get it off, regardless of the stretching that I put the rubber hose through. I could just never get a good hold of the base of the inlet that goes into the fuel rail. It did eventually come off, but I fear that I may have done some damage to the fuel hose, so I looked for a replacement. Fun fact: Honda no longer sells the fuel hose anymore. A hydraulic hose shop could probably make you one if you supply them with the banjo pieces, but I really just wanted a more simple solution. Enter this J's Racing quick-disconnect fuel hose. It finally gets rid of all the needless complexity of securing a banjo attachment with a cap and having to hold the base tightly while disconnecting it. This is simply thread on/thread off with secure AN fittings. The best part is, whenever it comes time to take the cylinder head off again, I can just reach my head down to the fuel filter and push down on the fitting to disconnect the hose. I highly encourage all of you to convert to this setup the next time you're this deep into your engine, or even replacing your fuel filter.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:51 AM   #505 (permalink)

Is there anything out there that feels better than getting tons of little baggies of Honda OEM pieces? It's like mini-Christmas x100. I'm going to post some pictures of the pieces I've replaced during the rebuilding process with the part numbers shown so that you can use it as a reference too. Before the build is done, I'll have done more than a couple of these posts. As a note, some of the bolts/nuts were replaced to look better, and some were replaced because I found a way to strip the heads pretty well (like one holding the oil cooler mount onto the block).

This is the leaky O-ring gasket that connects the oil cooler to the base. This was probably the reason my block leaked so much oil. I read how difficult these were to install correctly and it's true, I had a hard time with this. I had to really take my time and move slowly because the O-Ring would fall off or pop out enough to make a poor seal. Having the head off probably is your BEST bet to installing this correctly (just short of having the whole block out) On top of that, there is a 30mm center bolt that you have to get sufficiently tightened while holding this oil cooler piece in place with equal pressure on both sides. It literally requires 3 hands. I believe the 30mm center bolt needs to be tightened to 54 ft lbs, and when it comes to something holding oil pressure in, it's in your best interest to follow the directions, haha

This is one of the 3 bolts that holds the oil cooler base onto the block. I managed to strip one, but you can guarantee it needs to be held on with all 3!

Old vs New

New Mounting Hardware for the transmission Engine Mount

Old 05-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #506 (permalink)

I recently got a few more items back from the powdercoaters which included a bracket that held the clutch master cylinder, my customized hood hinges, my Power-Steering Reservior Bracket and my Oil Filter Relocation Bracket. You may notice that I began using neo-chrome colored cup-and-washer fasteners because, frankly, I really like the look. It's a theme you'll see me have more and more of because I like the way it contrasts with the white of the car/engine bay.

The hood hinges were previously modified to accept Tein Hood Dampers for a 94-01 Integra back in 2008. I love this modification, and it required no welding, but it never had a good, solid feel because the damper was secured by one 10mm bolt on the top of the hinge. So I had the powdercoaters weld both pieces together finally to ensure more strength (and better looks). I very much like the results.

Oh, and a random picture of me replacing the old "transmission fluid" lines with true "power steering" lines and using the correct clamps.

I really wanted to get the Power Steering hard lines powdercoated, but the brackets were practically riveted on and they had a rubber liner on the inside that wouldn't have survived being powdercoated, so I settled for black enamel paint instead.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #507 (permalink)

Good to see you're still posting.

My wife and I recently gave our second to last Prelude to my cousin, bringing us down to one from a once all time high of three.

It will be interesting to see what happens with these forums and the knowledge on them as they become even more and more unused.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:29 PM   #508 (permalink)

The single biggest issue I see in the future is that a majority of people who have posted how-to's, have their pictures saved with third-party storage accounts (I have mine saved on a free photobucket account). What happens when these free accounts go under, merge or begin charging to have anything viewable? Everything would be lost. I'll throw a number out there and say that 50% of all pictures on these forums are now non-functioning little tiles (No picture found) that effectively remove information of all kinds from the forums.

With current social media platforms, there is no filing and cataloging system that could store the huge amounts of data that we can still look up with relative ease on here.

I'll have some semi-large updates coming in the next 7 days. At least, that's my plan! haha

Old 05-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #509 (permalink)

Glad to see the build is still going on.

Honda Prelude Forum > Other Discussion > Members' Rides