» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Other Discussion > Members' Rides
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 02:06 AM   #21 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So What Next?

So with the car running sh*t-ily (is that a word?), I'm now playing the "if I wait, something will fall into my lap" game. But what to do at this point? The more I read forums the more I see that although I'm on the right track, the more I want to continue and modify. So I begin with my old pal Ebay.

Ebay's a wonderful tool by the way. I've been a member since 2002 and I gotta admit, it's addicting. For all the non-believers out there that say it's full of scammers and such, I beg to differ. I've had probably 2 bad experiences out of literally 300 good. And those bad experience probably came as more communication errors than truly bad people trying to take my money. In either instance, I was able to recover thanks to PayPal (not as evil as previously believed, haha). As proof, I'd say about 85 to 90% of this car is Ebay. Even the CAR ITSELF is bought on Ebay! The wheels, the engine, the brake kit, almost all of the interior with the exception of the Recaro Speed Seats, the body kit, the hood (not the trunk) and soon to be, almost all the exhaust. Believe me, for something truly rare (I have a Prelude Hot Wheels from Japan, top that!) to the hookups for future items (stay tuned for the entire SIR interior that I sourced almost completely through Ebay), it's the real deal and I will vouch for it any day of the week.

Here's an ebay purchase I made around the April time-frame

That Type S leatherette and suede seat totally rocks. The immaculate condition it was in just blew me away, now I'm seeing so many of these up for sale especially on Ebay, I probably will be 1/15 less cool tomorrow because another one of you lucky dogs has got one. Bravo.

At the same time of the install, I had planned on a battery relocation to the trunk. This has pros and cons, so I suggest depending on your climate, you debate whether or not to do this before doing this (and also on the battery you use). Also, does my Optima Battery look familiar to you? Refer to the second picture of this thread and you'll notice it's been powering whatever car I have since July of 2004

This is actually a Taylor Battery Kit (the part number escapes me at the moment, but it came with welder cable, not speaker cable) and I used several techniques to attach it to the trunk floor. First, I bolted a bolt into the place where the spare battery threaded holder would go, that gave me leverage for the tray on the one end, but on the other end (where the trunk floor goes uphill towards the fuel pump) I tried a variety of substances from JB Weld (which does NOT stick on a painted surface) to silicone (never was strong enough to support the movement of a car and a 40lb battery) and finally I settled on a grouting concrete mix from a tube. I probably can never go to the track with this setup, but I'll be damned if it's not sealed in their tighter than the waistline on a fat mans sweatpants.

In the engine bay, it made a difference that simply brought a tear to my eye. Ever since I learned the Prelude's weight distribution was something like 63/37 or something like that, I wanted to get it closer to 50/50. I probably will never get it there, but this battery relocation kit on top of no air conditioning, no cruise control and a carbon fiber hood ought to be making a pretty good difference for sure. I also got rid of that pesky battery tray, in the future it'll get painted to look absolutely beautiful.

With the battery tray gone, I lost the ability to hold my stock coolant reservior, but no problem, the local Yearwood Performance Place yokel had to quit his scoffing at an import in his parking lot for a hot minute in order to ring me up this bad boy coolant overflow tank. Oooohh, pretty (note that you can see my oil filter relocation kit pretty well in this picture too)

My Build Thread: http://www.preludeonline.com/f82/bes...-world-237309/

1998 Honda Prelude Type SH White Diamond Pearl
2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Crystal Black Pearl
2016 Honda Pilot Touring AWD White Diamond Pearl
prepreludesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #22 (permalink)

This is going to be the thread's last post for today... I still have more in me to do more, but the simple matter is, I've ran out of pictures. Many of them are either not with me right now or my friends have them or I've yet to take the new-new ones! You'll want to see the new interior (hint SiR) for sure as well as the most recent and *hopefully* closing chapter to the tuning saga. I say this because as of 30 September, Honda Bob will be coming down to El Paso in an attempt to finally get this bish running again!

Stay tuned for these answers to the questions you've been waiting for!!!

What's the car look like now?
Will the motor survive?
How much HP will it make?
What kind of 1/4 mile time will it do? (at 4000 feet above sea level, give me some slack!)

All these questions will be answered and more in the upcoming week, so stay tuned!

In the meantime, I leave you with some tasty imagery, but be sure to check back on this post frequently, this is when things get really crazy, really powerful and really expensive!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 02:42 AM   #23 (permalink)

I just wanted to throw this in there to show people what my Avatar is (for no other reason than boredom).

Apparently this year at the Olympics, when the Cuban and I think it was South Korean's squared off, the Korean won on a point count. So the Cuban guy got so pissed off at the referee who was judging the event (because he claimed the Korean was cheating) that he kicked him in the face after it was all done. Now he's banned from the Olympics for life.

Now that's funny!

that ain't his opponent on the right side of the picture...

Old 09-29-2008, 06:29 AM   #24 (permalink)

Oh yeah, here's a preview of what's more to come...

Goodbye ratty headers and the header wrap that has plagued all previous photographs...

looks nice huh?

And remember that hood prop I had to carry around with me all the time? I don't need it anymore

I found a guy selling his prelude on Ebay (out of new york) and other than a couple of modifications, I noticed it had this SMSP header already on it. So when I contacted him, I asked if he would sell me just the header and I would send him a Megan Racing Header as well as the payment. Sure enough, he agreed to the deal and now I'm in posession of an extremely rare and expensive set of headers that I had to go through basically no wait time for. Jealous much?

Last edited by prepreludesh; 10-19-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #25 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You should either make a book or a movie out of this story.

Writing a build thread after the final product is finished is such a better idea than starting one at the beginning of a build. This way we only have to wait for you to find time to type, and not wait for several months for the build to actually be done... haha

Love the thread so far, and I'm excited for the next episode.
EasternBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #26 (permalink)

bro..i never read so much..im litteraly at the edge of my seat lol, more info more pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wanted to go the turbo route...but now your turning me back into sc......... =D
Old 09-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #27 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Awesome story, looking forward to the rest.

"2001 Type SH"
"We are the people our parents warned us about"

www.discounttiredirect.com
golfradict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #28 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 61 reviews
sweeet!

where did you get that center gauge cluster?
Old 09-29-2008, 11:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
There's only one....

props on the build
TruNinja619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:58 AM   #30 (permalink)

Tiny update

At this moment, it's Sept 30 and it's a little before 1am

I just got back to my apartment and stumbled upon literally 10 boxes in the inside doorway that are blocking my entrance. There are so many parts waiting for me, I just spent probably 30 minutes opening them and finding a place to put them in my apartment. The fun part is, I know there are even more waiting for me in the apartment complex office when they open tomorrow!

"Honda Bob" is about an hour and a half out from El Paso, coming via I-10, which is a switch up because almost exactly 24 hours ago he picked up some "payment up front" money from my mom in Ohio to make it down here. He couldn't get his Civic hatch to run, but his friend offered to drive the both of them down in his Del Sol. I spent virtually all day from 6am Pacific Time until 1130pm Mountain Time on a damn bus tracking two little blips on a big map of the US both converging onto one central location, El Paso.

It sure was fun to see some comments though when I just now plugged in the computer! Keep them coming and I will post more I will probably do up 2 or 3 stories of my SiR interior modifications, Sparco Harness Bar installation, Tein Hood Damper installation and Megan Racing Header Installation as soon as I get the pictures from my friend John! Tell your friends about this thread too, I love to see the "views" column pile up, I've already got a couple of messages in my inbox asking me about specs and stuff.

Tomorrow we start on the build, but for now, I need to catch a few Z's before the big event.

Peace out for now.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #31 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Bold claim. The car is sweet. But I dont think it's the best lude in the lude. =)
1SlicK_LudE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #32 (permalink)
User Account Disabled

Thanks for sharing
Old 09-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #33 (permalink)

I know it's not the best lude in the lude, but it just very well might be the best lude in the world

But that's only because this story is ever evolving just like the car itself. I venture to say that "no part will remain untouched" by time I get done with it, but for that to happen, I'll have to start phase 3...

By the way, phase 2 ends when the car finally is reliable, is boosting well and has the interior all pieced together.

Phase 3 will involve these "last" steps (notice the quotes)

1. Transmission swap for something with an LSD (this will require extremely special fabrication when replacing the ATTS unit and mounting a custom piece to hold the new halfshafts on that side)

2. Nitrous (direct port would be best, I'm thinking about a wet shot BEFORE the throttle body, any suggestions? Anybody know anybody that's done this?

3. Snow Methanol Injection (also before the throttle body)

4. Carbon Fiber roof plug

5. A small sub somewhere in the trunk (perhaps a NOS bottle look alike to sit next to the actual NOS bottle)

6. A custom scoop in the hood to go directly over the supercharger (anyone remember when Sport Compact Car Magazine made their "NASA approved duct" on their project RSX carbon fiber hood?)

7. JDM Fogs/Folding Mirrors

8. Wilwood 2 piston caliper and AEM big brake rotor upgrade for the rear. (the wilwood caliper would probably be from a Honda Civic since no kit is available for the prelude) and it would also have to be custom fitted.

9. Finally get an oil cooler system all set up.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #34 (permalink)

Check out the VIS G-force hood, it has a scoop that goes directly onto the SC. Geramy, the guy with the world's craziest prelude SC setup has that hood and it's what Im going to be picking up soon as well. I can't wait to see the numbers this thing puts down!

(note: thie is NOT my car it is Geramy's)

here's the thread the pics are from, the useful info starts at post 9 : Aftermarket vented hood for cooling supercharger - Preludepower.com
viper_boy403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #35 (permalink)

Love how the trunk is painted... Very Nice!!!

My Flickr Page
PreludeVTEC01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #36 (permalink)

Hey thank you for that bit of advice with the hood. I read the thread you had started a bit ago looking for a hood to compliment the supercharger and although I can see it's functionality. However, I just don't like the shape of it. It seems too ricey with the curves and everything. I know that sometimes the ability to be functional can cancel out the ability to be rice, but what does everyone else think?

By the way, here's some pictures of what I was talking about doing... Most people would say "you're crazy for thinking about cutting into your carbon fiber hood!"

Then call me crazy, but take a look for yourselves over the sweetness

Pretty Clean eh?

A little cut will do it

Very clean and well done

Oh yeah, i was wrong, it's not a NASA duct, it's a NACA duct. Either way, I had never heard of it until then.

Here's the update on today (for those of you sitting on the edge of your seat).

Bob awoke at 3pm today and after some conversing about the route to go, we started to look at the wiring job that Speed Factory had done. Both the wideband wires and the boost wires (MAP sensor) were just cut and never spliced back together. Speed Factory had also tried to hook up the original Honda MAP sensor instead of using my AEM one. Once Bob had hooked them up correctly, he plugged my computer up to the data port on the Hondata S300 and finally got some good readings. After 20 minutes of tinkering, he got the idle (when cold) to be relatively normal. I say this because before Bob came down, the car would not idle when under 170 degrees (water temperatures). It was a pretty good start.

Bob's in town and in the driver's seat! Well... passenger actually, he has to work the computer you know...

[I]The two wires that made a difference between boost and 9 months of living hell[... solved in 20 minutes/I]

So then we put decided to hit the open road for some more tuning. Almost instantly, Bob found out how to give me back boost, and I slowly began tuning for more and more boost. I started at 4, went to 7 and then finally saw a number I never have seen before, 10psi!

But at this point, we developed an exhaust leak (d*mmit!) and the car began to sound like a harley davidson, I'm not even kidding. But for about 20 minutes, boost was back and although not perfected (we had got up to 10.5:1 and maybe 11:1 at one point A/F Ratio) and response was somewhat laggy, but it was there.

So all of the sudden we're now faced with a task I hadn't thought would happen until Bob left, and that is we're going to fit on all my new exhaust components and see how it goes.

Tomorrow, the goal is to get my exhaust welded up, which will be followed by lots of pictures for sure.

Sorry the pictures I have are camera phone pictures, I can't find my stupid regular camera!

I'll try to fix that though... keep checking for more updates!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #37 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Excellent stuff. Another great thread subscribed!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #38 (permalink)

One last post before the end of the night... but I'm going to just remind everyone to at least scroll through the whole thread every day because I keep finding more pictures that I post in previous posts I've done. I know you all like dem' purty colors so I'll keep slapping a few in there. I have no idea if PO is gonna hate me for taking up so much picture space.

Thanks again for the comments everybody!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #39 (permalink)

That is one clean mother ****ing Ohio Prelude. You must love the saltless, snowless, winters in El Paso. I'm trying to gear up for the upcoming season now.
I could have sworn seeing you drive around the Akron Canton area awhile back though.
death_adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #40 (permalink)

You probably didn't see me driving around that area with the car as it is, however, my sister has a prelude, same year, same color and it's getting to have roughly the same outside look as mine and she is a professor at Kent State University and her other job is in Cleveland (downtown). She commutes frequently so that's probably who you're seeing.

This is the last picture of my car in Ohio in January, 2008. This is me backing up in the driveway ready to hit the road for El Paso. The picture is ironic because it was the first and last time time our Preludes were photographed together. Although I'm hopefully going to try to teach my sister the secrets of the Jedi and get her to JDM up the car a little bit!

Sister's car after the hood was refinished and painted like mine (that was my parent's birthday present, I got her the OEM front lip and painted it to match and it will be attached soon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Other Discussion > Members' Rides