» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Other Discussion > Detailer's Corner
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2004, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member
99 Base SS stock

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Proper Way to Use and Orbital Buffer

I scratched the crap out of a section of my paint using an orbital buffer. I was using Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound (Mild abrasive polish) with a styrofoam bonnet. It made swirls in my paint.

How much pressure do you apply?

How often do you move?

What product do you use to smooth out surface scratches?

What bonnet do you use for surface scratch removing, waxing, etc?

THANKS!
heavyd1850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2004, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
C.O.D.

Yikes! After I read "orbital buffer" I thought what kind? After I read "Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound" I said to myself "oh...no...". After I read "styrofoam bonnet" I thought .

First off, stay away from the Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound. If you're shopping at Wal Mart, Pep Boys, Autozone, and etc get yourself a Meguiar's No.2 or No.9 polish. They're pretty much several of the best polishes you can get off the shelf. Use a 100% cotton terry towel, fold it into 1/8ths and use even, firm pressure. Make sure to go in a straight line and follow the aerodynamics of the car. That means go left to right on the hood, roof and rear deck, and go up and down on the sides.

What kind of buffer are you using? And what's a styrofoam bonnet? Bonnets are usually used to remove waxes and polishes, rather than used with polishes to remove swirls.

You don't want to exert uncessary downward pressure on the surface of your car. That means let the product work itself, rather than you doing all the work. At most, you should exert no more than about 10lbs of pressure in addition to the weight of the machine. The key thing to remember is to let the product do the work, not you.

How often you move depends on how deep the marring is in the clearcoat. Obviously a surface in severe condition will require slower movement, whereas a surface in top-notch condition with very little swirls and marring will not require so much work.

Here's a diagram of how the passes should look:
[list=1][*]Red[*]Blue[*]Green[*]Purple[/list=1]
You want to do it evenly and start off with letting the weight of the machine do the work. Apply the product and spread it around with the machine, and make sure it's turned off so that you don't splatter it all over the place.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
99 Base SS stock

w

Great description...thanks.

Ill pick up some of the meguiars and use it. Wasnt sure if compound was a byhand or buffer application...Turtle Wax compound scratched no matter if i did it by hand or with the buffer.

BTW, this is a black and decker 6" orbital buffer. The syrofoam thing came with it and some terry cloth bonnets. They recommended the styrofoam for applying creamy things.
heavyd1850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
C.O.D.

A compound can be used with both by hand and with a buffer. The effects of it will be better enhanced with a buffer since you will physically tire out if you use arm power. Styrofoam is like a styrofoam cup...the pad is just a regular foam pad .
Old 07-27-2004, 10:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've got the foam pad as well and a thing terry with more of a thin raincoat type underside ...

what are these 2 used for ? (generic 8" buffer.. )
Old 07-27-2004, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
C.O.D.

The foam pad is used just like any other foam pad - to polish the surface. I'm guessing it's a white foam pad, and is fairly medium in coarseness. It's probably similar to a white LC pad for example, where it's primary use is to not cut, not apply wax, but to polish. I'm also guessing that the thin terry you're talking about is a bonnet. Does it look like it goes over a pad?
Old 07-27-2004, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'll have to take a pic to better explain ...

Description on the above is :
1 foam bonnet - Frontmost in the photo, wtf this for?
1 wax applicator bonnet - This is the one with the sort of plastic backing..
2 terrycloth polishing bonnets
1 lamb's wool buffing bonnet - is this thing safe to use ??
Old 07-27-2004, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
C.O.D.

Those can be used to apply polishes and waxes as well. The pads that you read about in the Detailer's Forum is mainly hook and loop pads, which are velcro backed pads. Bonnets are designed to wrap over a backing plate. From what I've read, most people use bonnets for removal of polishes and waxes, rather than applying them since a velcro backed pad does a better job.

The foam bonnet can be used to apply a polish, and I'd be wary about using the lambswool bonnet. If it's anything like a regular ambswool pad, it's what the a lot of professionals use to correct major defects in paint since it can create a lot of heat and cutting power, rather than the foam pads us enthusiasts use usually to correct minor scratches, swirls and so on.
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Other Discussion > Detailer's Corner