Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Third Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ok to drive with bad head gasket?

a little while back i noticed black gunky stuff when checking the coolant level. now i know that's a good sign of having a bad head gasket but I have no money or time to get it fixed right now. Also, there seems to be coolant leaking onto the exhaust because i can hear drips being burned if i pop the hood and also i can smell it in the cabin if i turn the heater on. BUT, i haven't noticed any difference in how the car drives. still seems to accelerate and cruise just fine. Could something else be causing the issues? Im just driving it real easy for now, trying to keep it under 2500 rpm. its a 89 5 speed 2.0si.
jeb1517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
sure its ok if you drive w/ a bad head gasket..... just make sure you are saving a lot of $ for a new engine or rebuild.
sexylude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It sounds like a bad head gasket to me. I would stop driving it until you can get it properly diagnosed by a mechanic and replace the head gasket. It's possible that coolant is getting into your crank case, which will kill the bearings real fast. Check your oil and see if there is any traces of coolant on the dipstick.

2001 Honda Prelude - Daily
1992 Teal Supra - Weekend/Fun
ark86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

yea well i know i shouldn't be driving on it at all but i have no choice right now. trying to find a cheap daily to get my by till i can get the lude fixed. i'll check out the oil too, thanks
Old 01-24-2009, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

check the oil and the coolant. Is your car blowing smoke? if you head gasket is blown, pull the head off and take it to a machine shop to make sure its not warped, throw a new head gasket in and torque it to spec. should be fine. Just don't drive it. Your motor will be done if you keep driving it
Old 01-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

its like impossible for me to be able to tell if its blowing smoke...i live in chicago and during the winter every car looks like its blowing too much smoke...exhaust seems the same as it is every winter...like i said i know i shouldn't be driving it but i seriously don't have a choice...i'm gonna go on monday to see if i can find a cheap lease deal on a yaris or corolla or something so i don't have to keep driving my lude. oh and i wish it was as simple as just "pull the head off..." i mean maybe for you lol, thanks for the advice though
Old 01-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

have you checked the oil or coolant to see if they are mixing or running low?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yea I checked both and they were pretty low. Someone said to see if the oil looks "milky"?? Anyway the oil looked normal to me (except for it being low). I took some pics of the dip stick but they didn't come out that good. Also, I had some work done on the car maybe like 3 weeks ago and I asked the mechanic if he saw any signs of my head gasket going bad and he said he had checked the coolant and it looked fine. I added coolant and oil so I'll check em again to see what they look like. Pics are below....you can see the level of the oil just to the right of the left hole

Old 01-29-2009, 04:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

go get a compression check done. you can buy the tester at autozone for 25 bucks. compression check will tell you if the gasket is bad. end of story
Old 01-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

good idea...i got the compression tester today but i don't have an extension on my wrench to reach the plugs so i'll get that tomorrow. do you by any chance know the size of the plugs? I only have a 5/8"(16mm) deep socket but i'm not sure if i need to get a different sized deep socket along with the extension. thanks for the help man you've been a big help

Last edited by jeb1517; 01-29-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

ayte i got a couple numbers but not all...120 135 psi...was freezing my ass off n couldn't see that good so i came back in, i'll try again tomorrow morning after warming the car up. oh n those numbers are with no throttle, i know ur supposed to do it with WOT but i totally forgot. i know just 2 numbers are kinda useless but figured id put em up
Old 02-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

ok did the test this morning...135 130 135 125....looks pretty good to me so i'm guessing my head gasket is ok, i appreciate all the help
Old 02-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

make sure you find out what your compression is supposed to be vs. what it actually is.
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Third Gen Prelude Discussion