Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2002, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where to put "liquid gasket" on oil pan...

Hello....I'm replacing my oil pan gasket tomorrow. I have the down-pipe off the header (very easy to remove after 2 hour drive, and no burns!!), center beam and the flywheel cover are off too. I'm letting the pan drain over night. Also, I bought some "RTV Silicone" gasket sealer...made by "Permatex". Where do i put it? Does it go between the pan and the gasket, or between the block and the gasket? Both? All the way around the gasket or just the corners? Thanks for any help/tips.

Wendel 93 SR
Wendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2002, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Unregistered

hmm, u should buy a gasket from honda if u can. it cost me like $15 and im sure it does a better job than liquid gasket

458 RWHP / 422 ft/lbs RWTQ
G_Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I did buy a new gasket from Honda. My manual says to apply "sealant" in addition to the new gasket. I'm just not sure where it goes.

Wendel
Old 03-07-2002, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Unregistered

lol, i feel stupid now

if this is the case, i'd be interested cuz im installing my gasket on sunday

Old 03-07-2002, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hehe ...well I will let ya know how it turns out...my advise so far is to soak those exhaust bolts with WD-40 and then drive your car to get the exhaust HOT (not warmed up, hot!). I didn't even need to try hard at all to get the nuts off, just be very carefull because of obvious reasons. Sealant on both sides of the gasket makes sense to me but....

Wendel
Old 03-07-2002, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Unregistered

i got air tools and a compressor... i hate working on hot engines, but if worst comes to worst... how hard was it to remove everything?

yea, it makes sense to have liquid gasket on both sides, hmm...

Old 03-07-2002, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ah i didn't even break out the air tools, though it might have been safer. I think the hardest bolt to break was the back one the center beam, by the steering rack, and even it wasn't too bad at all. I havent pulled the pan yet, i'm letting it drain over night so i dont get drips of oil on my face hehe. I hope it isn't stuck on there too bad, shouldn't be a prob.

Wendel
Old 03-08-2002, 02:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
XES

There are 2 corners on the passenger side of the oil pan gasket. Put liquid gasket in these corners after cleaning oil off the pan, and block (and old gasket if you are reusing it).

When reinstalling the oil pan ensure that you tighten them in the correct sequence (and be careful not to strip the threads). Start by tightening in the middle, and work your way out to the sides of the pan (dirver and passenger). Also work your way out in a criss-cross manner (i.e. front-right, then back left, then back right, then front left, then back left, etc.).
Hondaprelude.com setup
Brad's Turbo Prelude page
XES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Pan Info

I have the same questions, I have a '84 Prelude and I am changing the Oil Pan. As far as RTV the stuff you have works great i've used it on tons of cars.

I just got this car and I bought a manual off E-Bay but I don't have it yet. I was wondering if you know the torque specs for a '84 Prelude Oil Pan, it has a 1.8 liter Dual Carb. I looked up the procedure at school in the All Data and I forgot to bring it home.

But, on the '84 I am pretty sure I don't have to drop the exhuast the All Data didn't mention un-bolting it (but sometimes they don't list the obvious stuff), and when I looked it seems like I might be able to get away with it. I looked at the gasket I would say to RTV where there are no bolts on the left and right side where it dips down. If you have the exact procedure where you should RTV it I would be interested. Its not going to hurt to RTV something that doesn't need to be RTVed but I have not idea for sure exactally where it goes, the Pan gasket was pretty ambigious as to where you RTV just saying to RTV the sides.
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion