Honda Prelude Online banner

Part 1: Is my car idling high? Part 2: Motor hesitates when A/C is on.

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  CycoPigeon 
#1 ·
Part 1:
Is this high for idle? Its a 1996 VTEC manual in neutral.

Part 2:
When I turn on my A/C it seems to be draining power from the motor. In neutral it goes from where the RPM is in the pic above, to just below 1000RPM. When I have the A/C on and try to get it into first gear it hesitates and the motor shakes tremendously or it just gives up and stalls. I have to give it more gas faster, like reving to 2000RPM quickly. Also if I turn it on like when im on the highway it will go from 55mph to 50-51mph.

Im wondering does anyone else have this problem? Is it fixable and what did you do to fix it.

I accept any tips, hints or crits.

See less See more
#4 ·
My car idles at about 800-900 rpm when warm. When I turn the AC on and the condenser kicks in, it will rev and idle around 1000rpm, but never stalls. The AC leaches power from the engine so it should force it to idle higher and drive up the alternator to handle the load. I've never seen a drastic drop in speed when I switched on/off the AC on the hwy, I hear the condenser kick in and I can sense the additional strain on the motor but not reduced speed by 5mph, that's some serious leeching going on. My guess is to check the condenser, why is it leeching so much or becoming harder to turn, seizing up or something.

#9 ·
this is a very general question. I agree with what Zfin said about the OEM and I also like Valvoline products as well. But still mate, your question is too general. It all depends what kind of car, motor, what u do with the car, what mods, what settings, etc etc.

#11 ·
There really is no benefit to getting oil from Honda, there's nothing special about it except the price. All you need is 5w-30, pick your favorite brand. H22's burn oil, so using an expensive synthetic may or may not be worth it for you. Just keep an eye on the oil level and change it at the correct intervals. That's far more important the which brand you use.

#13 ·
Here's the thing...Honda does not make oil or oil filters. I don't know who they source their oil from, but it's no different than what you can buy off the shelf at vatozone.

I do know who produces Honda oil filters though. That would be Fram, a company widely known to produce the most crap-tastic filters on the market. Honda used to use quality filters made by Wix, but they have gone cheap as of late. Your definitely better off going with an aftermarket filter such as purolator, mobil 1, or wix.

#15 ·
Ok, I geuss I'll just get my stuff from advanced auto. With shipping from Bernardi it will equal out to same price as stuff from the store. Thanks for letting me know about the OEM filters. Im thinking of going with Mobil 1 10w30 and Mobil 1 filter. Also my dad gets 20% discount there from a friend, who also has a h22.

#18 ·
and frame doesn't make OEM filters I forget who does tho
Technically, fram doesn't make the Honda filters, their parent company Honeywell does. However, they are the same crap as the fram filters, just in a box with a Honda logo on it.

Important: Oil Filter debate - Honda-Tech

As that thread shows, Honda used to use good filters, but they went cheap. They even changed the part number when they did it too. All the older "A01" filters are pretty much gone. If you go to a dealer today and order a filter, they'll give you a fram.

#20 ·
Your talking about the Hamp filters. I went with Pennzoil 10w30 & Mobil1 extended preformance filter. Car is running better now. Also my antifreeze/coolant reserve tank was completly empty i filled that to recommeneded mark. Everythings good for now, except I found out my lower half of the headers is dented in on the "L" bend which would explain why my car feels like its lost power. Atleast thats my geuss. Theres a 93 lude at a junkyard near me, going to see if that part is still on the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.