Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 01:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Maximizing Performance on Jdm H22a

Right now igot a Stock Jdm H22a with dc headers , short ram intake, no cat, and stock muffler,

i plan to get a greddy evo2 muffler or hks muffler, what should i do after that?

i hear rebuliding the engine with better parts is a good way to start. but that is costly and time consuming and is one of the last things i want to do.

so what do you guys suggest i do next after the mufflers? cams, fuel injectors? are those hard jobs to do?
Jerryscherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 01:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lurkist

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
There is 9 years worth of information on this site pertaining to your question. The search button knows all.
Tee-Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
you can do EEEEET!

how many freaking topics are you going to make

95greenlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Over 9000!!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Get rid of that useless dc header, might as well use a stock header if your gunna keep that, get a V2 or type S intake, full exhaust w/ cat deletion, nice throttle body(ive got an omni power 68mm on mine), remove the butterflies from the Intake mani and have it port matched to the TB then have the runners ported, get a tune and call it a day.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

A. NA:
higher compression, best header you can find, cam shafts, cam gears, valve train, head job (port and polish), intake mani, TB, the list goes on

B. Boost:
.... turbo kit lol, lower compression

TUUUUUUUUNE! so, first choose A or B hehe
es_squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks alot guys (: ill think ill be doing cams fuel injectors and getting rid of that dc header once i get money (: and not sure about cai intakes... do those aem bypass valve's work?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

btw wats a tb?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

and one more thing is there a specific kind of order i should follow when tuning? or is it just do which ever one i want first?
Old 03-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wait wha...?

You shouldn't be doing anything yet....... You need to do a lot more reading and research...

AEM Tested their Bypass Valve on an employee's NSX... I'd hope it works..

"TB" is short for Throttle Body.

Why do you think you need Injectors??

What do you mean by "is there a specific kind of order i should follow when tuning? or is it just do which ever one i want first?"
Kind of tuning? There's different kinds of tuning? I'm confused...
MLBZ521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

for example i did i/h/ and on my way to a exhaust. any mods should be done before others? or done together? for example chipped ecu would be the last thing i would mod obviously u wouldnt do that first
Old 03-25-2009, 01:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

Why not? What's a "Chipped ECU" in your book?
Me, personally, I don't want a "Chipped ECU."

And what you do first depends on your goals and your budget.. Doesn't really matter what order.

I mean, besides the obvious..

Upgrading Cams without providing sufficient supporting mods to make use of them.

Upgrading to Adjustable Cam Gears without the ability to utilize their function.

Upgrading the Header, to something decent of course, isn't helping if you're still using the stock exhaust.

Upgrading the Intake Manifold, to say the Euro-R Manifold, while still using the stock intake.

Upgrading the Fuel System -- Injectors, Fuel Rail, Fuel Pressure Regulator, etc -- while still having a relatively stock engine...

There's more I'm sure...
Old 03-25-2009, 01:52 AM   #13 (permalink)

my goal is to have an decent speed all engine h22a

my budget is to work and save and add more parts.. not all at once. thats why im asking if theres like a order. like u said no point in headers if stock exhaust like the i/h/e all work together... well therefore im getting an exhaust next to make them all effective.

so what would u suggest i do next after i get my i/h/e? im oviously a NOOB!!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 02:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

"decent speed all engine h22a" Translates too... "Decent HP Naturally Aspirated H22" ?

Should set a better, more clear, defined goal.
I'd like "xxx" amount of WHP. Or I want to make/do as much as I can without cracking open the block..

There's all kinds of things you can do.. You just need to know what your future goals are and build to fit.. "Temp" parts are pointless and a waste in my book..
Old 03-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

In other words, read, read, plan, plan, read more, plan more... outline what you want to do... keep a notebook or something with ideas...

Once you know where you want to go, start buying pieces to get there... just throwing parts at it isn't going to get you anything special...

You need set goals, you need to research those goals, and you have to see if they are doable, then once you know that you can go back and start working on them.

At the moment, you seem very vague and unsure of where you're going. It's a bad time for you to invest in parts...

- Corey
mooncaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #16 (permalink)

ahah true that thx i guess i gotta spend much much hours and talking to ppl b4 i start getting parts (: thx
Old 04-14-2009, 02:39 AM   #17 (permalink)

so after weeks of reading about n/a and boosting i still dont know what to choose . i wanted to get turbo but i need to know how much engine life it will kill if it is properly tuned the engine is properly sleeved wit hforged pistons, low comp pistons everything is done right.. tuned no more than 10psi.

now n/a im still kind of confused about still need to do more reading, for the most part just thinking about getting skunk2 camshafts and camgears, resleeving, maybe higher compression pistons but still want to use 91 gas.

so many mixed opinions on the internet but don't wanna start anything till i get every fact straight.

my goal is to reach about 250-260 n/a
goals for boost probably 250-300 ?

i dunno how u convert that to whp
Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
240,000+ mi. and counting

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
*sigh*

My Build Thread: http://www.preludeonline.com/f82/bes...-world-237309/

1998 Honda Prelude Type SH White Diamond Pearl
2010 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT White Diamond Pearl
2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD Obsidian Black/Java Interior
prepreludesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Supporting Member
H22-Turbo 4WS Beast

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryscherry View Post

wtf
Old 04-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
240,000+ mi. and counting

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryscherry View Post
so after weeks of reading about n/a and boosting i still dont know what to choose . i wanted to get turbo but i need to know how much engine life it will kill if it is properly tuned the engine is properly sleeved wit hforged pistons, low comp pistons everything is done right.. tuned no more than 10psi.

now n/a im still kind of confused about still need to do more reading, for the most part just thinking about getting skunk2 camshafts and camgears, resleeving, maybe higher compression pistons but still want to use 91 gas.

so many mixed opinions on the internet but don't wanna start anything till i get every fact straight.

Jerry,

You're still so confused about it all because it sounds like you don't know how engines work. You're going to have to stop searching threads, looking for specific products you should put on and start looking at what it takes to make power in the first place. If you don't have a basic understanding of this stuff, you're going to make stupid purchases and then run out of money when you only have half the things you want.

We're going to give it to you very straight up, and this will save us all the time. You're going to have to tell us about yourself, let us see you as a real person first. Then you're going to have to tell us about your financial status. We're not going to recommend a method of how to get to your HP goal unless we know that you're serious about it and will be ready to invest the proper amount of money to get there.

I'll tell you this right now, because this is a pretty universal rule of thumb, but for every 1whp, be prepared to spend at least $100. If your stock Prelude engine makes 165whp (it's a good chance i'm right) and if you want 300whp, then just know you could be spending $13,500 to get it. Don't want to spend that much? Then don't go past I/H/E mods, but also live with the fact you'll probably never go above 200whp.

By the way, when I give you that dollar amount, I'm talking about doing it reliably. You do want it reliably right? I mean, you might like to build an unreliable engine and blow it up immediately, losing all that money and not having a car, but then again, we don't know anything about you or what your plans and goals are. Maybe your goal is to show us pictures of a piston and its rings melting to the sides of the H22 FRM Sleeves? Maybe you'd like to show us how you now have a cylinder compression score of 10 throughout each cylinder sleeve after dropping forged pistons into the FRM sleeves of the H22?

Or maybe you'd like to just throw a turbo kit on the stock engine and cross your fingers while holding onto the advice of a small amount of people out there that say "an stock H22 will take boost, it's just all about the tune." Maybe it will, maybe it won't, you might just be your tuner's guinea pig, you might not.

BTW, I just saw 4Fast, 4Furious and it was great too.

My Build Thread: http://www.preludeonline.com/f82/bes...-world-237309/

1998 Honda Prelude Type SH White Diamond Pearl
2010 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT White Diamond Pearl
2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD Obsidian Black/Java Interior
prepreludesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion