Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if timing belt off will it cause overheating??

I think when I put my timing belt on I was off a tooth on my exhaust cam..my car is now overheating and my manifold gets hot where it turns red..the car has no accelleration now and misses when my rpms come downs in gear..but there is no accelleration what so ever..could ignition timing make it this bad too???
blue_h22a_lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

i think your timing is off
itsthatprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks man
Old 04-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Why would the car overheat just because of timing? I really don't know all this that well
Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't really know how your timing being off can cause your car to overheat because I don't know too much about the topic, but I do know that if your timing belt breaks, it could mess up your engine real bad. I also know that the water pump is located in the same area too when you take your timing cover off. I would definitely make sure that your timing belt is the correct one, isn't damaged, and is installed correctly as well as check the water pump and make sure that it is functioning properly.

Did you ever check your catalytic converter yet like the guy in your other thread recommended?

Sometimes overheating could be caused by something simple like your thermostat or bad coolant. As far as missing rpms, it sounds more like a timing issue or a dirty EGR Valve and the no power and red hot manifold could be associated with a lot of things such as a clogged cat or from the rest of the engine overheating. A dirty EGR Valve could also be the cause of your loss of power. Is your car throwing any kind of CEL codes? Also, are you having any starting issues as well?

Last edited by SoCalBA8; 04-27-2011 at 12:36 PM.
SoCalBA8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yah I checked the converter and its good..but yeah when I start it I have to give it gas for it to eventually start..it idles real low too..how would I clean the egr valve or should I just replace it..and yeah the cel light is on..but its been on ever since I got it..but ran fine when I got it
Old 04-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quit guessing, pull the CEL, fix the problem and start over. Lack of power could be from being off a couple of teeth but not overheating. More than likely despite your belief the cat is clogged, it can also cause the car to choke up and run sluggish and always makes the manifold glow red hot.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Since we now know that your CEL light is on, your best bet would be to do as minilogoguy18 suggests and pull the code. My friend's car's CEL came on when her cat went bad and it ran fine until I convinced her to get it replaced after explaining to her what will happen down the road i.e. something similar to what you are experiencing with the overheating. Pull the code(s) and then go from there.
SoCalBA8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion