Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2003, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Big Man On Campus

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how to install an MSD SCI and Blaster SS Coil

THE WRITEUP IS DOWN A FEW POSTS

I'm just finishing the last 2 steps of the install on my 4th gen. Before I begin the writeup and while it's fresh in my head. Does anyone have any specific questions they want answered?

I'm already including part numbers, measurments for the custom bracket for the SCI, and how to buid a bracket to support the SS coil. anything else??

RIP Jape...

Last edited by Machine Head; 04-15-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Machine Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2003, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT!

don't forget how much green
Old 04-14-2003, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Big Man On Campus

Geen was not that much..about $130 fo everything

RIP Jape...
Old 04-14-2003, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Putt Putt...Vroom Vroom!

i'm interested in how you did the brackets for both of 'em. mine are currently ghetto rigged atm
DudewithaLude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Wolverine to you, bub

Excellent timing! I am just about to go looking for an MSD ignition for the lude. I think my current stock coil is about to crap out on me and I need to get an MSD system that has a soft rev-limiter built in.

I will be eagerly awaiting your write-up. As far as specific questions, if you could tell us where you got it for $130 and if that was new or used. Also, if you have knowledge of the differences between the different types of setups and coils that would be great. A trip to MSD's site and I'm completely confused as to what I really need.

Thanks.
92H22A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 03:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Putt Putt...Vroom Vroom!

for a soft rev limiter, you're prolly best going with the 6AL or the digital 6; for coil, you're best going with the SS coil, since its completely filled with epoxy so you can mount it any way you want.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

I have both right now Im just wondering where you will be placing the SCI I am having a hard time find a place to put it the bay is pretty packed

www.speedtechracing.com
92 Prelude Turbo
98 Integra Type R CW #688
00 S2000
shadowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 04:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Putt Putt...Vroom Vroom!

I believe that he bought a L shaped aluminum plate and mounted it on top of his intake manifold. pretty smart idea actually, I just want to see how he did it before I try
Old 04-15-2003, 07:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

another option is relocating the battery to the trunk, removing the battery tray, and mounting the box in its place...i would say that is the easiest

jaybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Big Man On Campus

OK OK OK OK HERE GOES THE WRITEUP YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR

The following is the install of an MSD SCI and Blaster SS Coil

Parts needed:
MSD SCI ignition PN 6300
MSD Blaster SS Coil Pn 8207
( both include wire connectors and mounting bolts.

Tools:
Assorted screwdrivers
10mm 12mm socket, or open ended box wrench
Drill with assorted bits

Before begining the install disconect the battery to prevent any unpleasent surprises.
Mounting the units is the most diffucult part. There really isn't much room under the hood of a 4th gen. I have seen some people mount the Ignition on the firewall and some in the space where the battery sits once they moved the battery to trunk for weight distrabution.

I decided to have a freind of mine bend me a peice of scrap aluminum from his HVAC shop. I then used the existing bolts that hold the throttle cable bracket to the intake as a mounting location. Any local metal shop should be able to do this for you for around $10. (The dimensions are provided in pic 1).

Once the peice was bent I cut 1/4inch slot about 1 inch in on the right side for the throttle cable arm bracket to stick out of. Technically you could just mount the TC bracket on the outside of the MSD plate but I wanted to keep stock locations to prevent problems. I also cut a 1 1/2 inch square from the left side of the MSD bracket this allowed plenty of clearance for the throttle rotor and access to the throttlebody bolts for easy removal. When done your MSD plate should look like this...

PIC 1

Next you just have to drill holes so the MSD can mount to the plate and the plate can mount over the intake manifold I marked the holes with red dots in the diagram of picture 1

The Bracket for the SS coil is much easier to make I purchased a 3 inch "L Bracket" from Lowes for $0.69

Using a bench Vise to hold the bracket I drilled one of the holes until it resembled a Slot the shape of a Mike&Ike candy. It doesn't matter which hole you drill since the peice is Asymetrical. The goal is to make the holes closer together.

With the brackets made let's get to the install...

RIP Jape...

Last edited by Machine Head; 04-15-2003 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Big Man On Campus

First remove the throttle cable bracket. to do so you'll have to loosen the nuts that are on the throttle cable so you can slide the cable off of it's arm. Now remove the bracket from the intake manifold by loosening the two 12mm nuts.

By this point you should already have the MSD SCI mounted to the plate and ready for install. then it is just a matter of lining up the plate with the Throttle cable bracket and arm and then tightening it down with the two 12mm nuts you removed earlier. it should look like this.

From the right side...

And the money shot

Now let's take care of the Blaster SS coill.
First disconect the wire leading to the distributer cap. And unplug the Grey four point harness from undernieth.
( Highlighted in GREEN )

Next using a 10mm socket unbolt the stock coil from the engine by removing the 2 bolts.
( Highlighted in YELLOW )

RIP Jape...

Last edited by Machine Head; 04-15-2003 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Big Man On Campus

Now remember that L bracket you drilled out earlier?

Discard the bolts that came with the SS Coil. I used a pair of 6x35mm bolts and matching nuts. The bolts fit perfectley into the mounting holes on the SS Coil and are long enough to reach the L bracket. Now I chose to place a rubber washers in between the SS Coil and the bracket I also used locking washers on the side between the nut and the L bracket to prevent any loosening from engine vibration. Mount the SS Coil to the L bracket as pictured on the right below.

Now that L bracket should have 2 free holes on the exposed side of it. Use any one of those to mount your coil using the OEM location. I used the lower left of the stock mounting points because it was the only way my Coil wire could reach it. You should have something that looks like this.

RIP Jape...

Last edited by Machine Head; 04-15-2003 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Big Man On Campus

Almost done now for the wireing...

With the hardest part out of the way and both units mounted the wireing is the easiest part.
.**THIS WIRING IS CORRECT***
MSD SCI THICK RED->Battery Positive
MSD SCI THICK BLACK-> Battery Negative
MSD SCI THIN ORANGE-> SS Coil Positive
MSD SCI THIN BLACK-> SS Coil Negative

I am glad you asked Ben, the install wireing instructions that I used I got from MSD. I called them to confirm the install since the 24 pages of instructions only includes hondas with internal coils.
.**THIS IS THE EDITED VERSION***
Yesterday after I finally reinstalled my battery I went to test the car and no spark. So after examining the wire diagram in helms I realized that these guys screwed me all up. When I get home today I am going to rewire the ignition. From what I can see in the helms you will need to use 1 of the splitters on the red wire only, one red side will go to the Black/yellow wire, the other red to the yellow, and the white wire will be connected to the blue.

Yellow and black/yellow are constant and ignition 12v power lines , blue should be the ground. I'll test it today and confirm this info for you.

Or you could purchase the male connector and splice into it from that end. This 2nd method would allow you to solder the wires and seal them with heat shrink tubing.

I recamend Looming all of the wires once everything is layed out and connected. Keep them away from heat and hard metal that may cut into them

RIP Jape...

Last edited by Machine Head; 05-02-2003 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Unregistered

I like the mounting spot for the box.

I have to put mine up there. currently its just sitting around under my air filter. I have a large sheet of 3mm thick aluminum sitting around too...

how close does the box come to the hood when its closed? Any issues with it possibly getting wet?

good job btw

458 RWHP / 422 ft/lbs RWTQ

Last edited by G_Loc; 04-15-2003 at 03:13 PM.
G_Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Big Man On Campus

The box has plenty of room under the hood it's hard to tell in the pics but it sits right below the plastic shroud in front of the windsheild.

if you wanted it to sit lower you would only have to remove the plastic line holder bolted to the back of the intake manifold with a 10mm nut. and cut a longer hole for the throttle arm to move up.

As for water both of these units are sealed. I chose the SS coil because of it's size and unlike the Blaster 2 and 3 coils which are made from metal and sarounded by oil. It s surounded by an epoxy and injection molded.

RIP Jape...

Last edited by Machine Head; 04-15-2003 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Big Man On Campus

Oh and as for costs
I bought the MSD SCI used off of a fellow member for $90 Shipped
The blaster coil I got off Ebay New for $30 shipped.

Figure you gotta buy the brackets and the nuts and bolts if you don't already have them
Total cost about
$130

RIP Jape...
Old 04-15-2003, 04:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Putt Putt...Vroom Vroom!

90 shipped for a sci isn't too shabby at all it comes with soft rev limiter and two stage rev limit right? or i might be thinking of the digital6
Old 04-15-2003, 04:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Unregistered

damn, you got a really good deal

i got my used MSD 6 and blaster 2 coil for $95 shipped.

458 RWHP / 422 ft/lbs RWTQ
G_Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 05:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Big Man On Campus

Quote:
Originally posted by DudewithaLude
90 shipped for a sci isn't too shabby at all it comes with soft rev limiter and two stage rev limit right? or i might be thinking of the digital6
Every spark is at full power with 110 milliJoules of energy.
Up to 470 volts is delivered to the primary side of the coil.
Multiple spark series lasts for 20° of crankshaft duration.
Installs to most engines with a distributor and 12 volt, negative ground
system.

Sport Compact enthusiasts will be excited to see MSD’s newest ignition design! The MSD Sport Compact Ignition (SCI) is the ultimate ignition for the high revving smaller displacement engines that are found in late model sport vehicles. At higher rpm, stock inductive ignitions cannot produce full power sparks resulting in a loss of power or even a top end miss.
The new MSD SCI Series Ignitions feature capacitive discharge circuits that are capable of full power sparks at any rpm! Whether you’re idling through traffic or ripping through the gears at 10,000+ rpm, each spark of an SCI Ignition is at full power! High powered sparks mean complete combustion which puts more power to the ground.
Below 3,000 rpm, the SCI Ignitions produce a series of sparks that last for 20° of crankshaft rotation. This series of sparks will smooth the idle, produce quick starts and deliver lightning quick throttle response.
There are two models of the MSD SCI Ignition Controls offered; the SCI, PN 6300, and the SCI-L, PN 6320. With these proven ignitions, your sport compact car will get the spark power it needs to outperform the competition on both the street and the track.

RIP Jape...
Old 04-15-2003, 06:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Big Man On Campus

Any other questions?

RIP Jape...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion