Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
failed smog high hc at idle

test results hc 511, allowed 220 at idle

mods on car: aftermarket header, short ram intake, high flow cat, fart can.

whats new: new plugs, cap, rotor, o2 sensor, coolant temp sensor

history: head had bent valves from broken tining belt. replaced gaskets and belts, wp, and so on. the only thing wasn't done was having the valves lapped because the seats were fine.
the car runs good and no check engine light. i know it is running rich because of the smell and all black out but no smoke. the timing has been advanced a little to see if it helps. i am going to go back and retest next week. any advice on how i can lower my hc ppm at idle?
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would make sure that the egr and pcv valves are working correctly; it might be the high flow cat, but I don't have one so don't know if it affects emissions... gl
dudefromaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

dam i failed again. changed out the o2 with a new one. replaced my coolant tep sensor. took it in and no pass just by a little. hc was 279, allowed is 220. i drove it all over before i took it in since i have a chepo ebay cat/highflow/straight pipe. is there anything else i can do to lower my hc at idle. tricks, additives (they said they don't work) plugging or unpluging something? i really don't want to get a oem cat just to pass but if i have to then i have no other option. i only have a few days before my moving pass runs out.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
woop woop!

You know everytime you fail it shows up on record right? After you failed the first time you should have taken all the measures you thought it needed to pass. Just get a new cat and you'll be on your way. Doesn't need to be an oem cat. I just got an aftermarket high flow cat and all was well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vile10
not to offend anyone but usually when you hear a loud noise but never see the car for a long while, that's probably a civic
SNsLude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNsLude View Post
You know everytime you fail it shows up on record right? After you failed the first time you should have taken all the measures you thought it needed to pass. Just get a new cat and you'll be on your way. Doesn't need to be an oem cat. I just got an aftermarket high flow cat and all was well.
well it is a highflow cat. and i did everything possible besides replacing the cat with a oem one. that is my next step. i was just wondering if there was anything else i could do.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
woop woop!

That's why, try replacing your cat. I know you said it was a high flow one, but it's old. High flow cats hardly last nearly as long as oem ones. Just take it off if you wanna check it and see if the honeycomb is all gone lol. The only thing that was left in mine were carbon pieces. With hydrocarbon's that high, there isn't much else to try. You've done most of the little tune up stuff already.

Quote:
not to offend anyone but usually when you hear a loud noise but never see the car for a long while, that's probably a civic
Old 05-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNsLude View Post
That's why, try replacing your cat. I know you said it was a high flow one, but it's old. High flow cats hardly last nearly as long as oem ones. Just take it off if you wanna check it and see if the honeycomb is all gone lol. The only thing that was left in mine were carbon pieces. With hydrocarbon's that high, there isn't much else to try. You've done most of the little tune up stuff already.
the highflow is a new one. everything is new. not even 500 miles on it. i am 60ppm over the requirements. i know if i get a oem one, even a used one will do it. i just don't feel like getting under there and swapping it out. so i was just wondering if there is something else i can do. if that is the only way i can pass then i guess i am picking one up tomorrow and testing again. i got 4 more days until my 30 temp moving expires.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Best product in the WORLD (for emissions):
Amazon.com: Guaranteed to Pass Emissions Test Formula (12 oz.): Automotive

You can get this at pepboys, autozone, checker, kragen, etc ad naseum...

I put this in my 3rd gen (test pipe, straight through exhaust, disconnected EGR, FPR not dialed in). Passed with flying colors.

For 8 bucks, it sure beats having to buy a $150 cat...
academyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
woop woop!

I've tried those garunteed to pass things. Didn't really see too much effect. That said, I felt like a criminal for putting a foreign substance into the gas tank lol.

Quote:
Old 05-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

update. well i just picked up a complete sock setup for $28. had to pull it myself but well worth it. took it in to smog and passed.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

Well that works too keep that setup for next year! and in case you ever get a fix it ticket.
academyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

You could have probably delayed your timing 2 degrees or more and passed with the numbers you had. Provided your CO% was low to begin with.
viper-blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion