Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2002, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fading red paint

I got my new 4g and its red, but the paint is really faded bad in area's of the car... how can I restore this car's natural beauty without getting a full on paint job ?

if im gonna paint her, dark blue she'll be. .... diamond coat .. .. metalic .mebbe pearl .. oh jeeeyah
yohan420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2002, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
PO.com veteran

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Use a rubbing compound to remove the faded paint, it's hard work but worth it. Then use a good quality polish to restore the shine.

BTW, this is why I'll never own a red car.

U.K VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

There ain't nothin like a new paint job!!!
Jesus freak

96LudeVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
I'm not too old for this!

Red is the color that fades the quickest with the sun, don't ask me why but we re-paint red cars all the time at my shop. Anyhow to your question you will most likely need to color sand it first with 1500 grit wet sand paper, just go over it lightly with it and make sure to keep the paper wet, then pick up a cheep buffer and some good quality polish compound and buff to a shine, The problem with this is that it's really not a job for someone who has no experience with wet sanding or buffing, you can burn through your paint very easy, if just regular hand polishing doesn't work than you might want to take it to a detailer, better paying a 100 bucks then burning through your paint with a buffer!
04 Ford Powestroke Diesel Crew Cab, Shortbed,4x4, SCT Tuner,with Tunes from innovative Diesel,4 inch Donahoe lift,ARP headstuds,AFE Stage 2 intake,MBRP 4 inch Exhaust,4:30 gears from unitrax,18 inch KMC wheels(black) with 35 inch Toyo M/T's.
440 whp 800 torque.
slp mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Someday You'll Be Cool.

You know, I have the same problem, but in the oddest places. It's only faded on the drivers side mirror and the left half of my spoiler. Strange.

Bye bye Prelude!
Helloooo, 240!
preludechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 12:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
KG6TWI

Red, silver, dark blues and some blacks fade like a biatch. Its something to do with the enviromental additives used in those colors from the late 80's to mid 90's. They have made bug improvment since then, but most car paint from the Regan era sucked ass.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Thanks guys, this is all awesome advice.. ill look into a few things..

so when you sand the faded paint, it just takes off the faded layer and opens up the orig color underneath ?

its wierd how it fades.. rear view mirror, some spots on side of door .. the spoiler, the top of the car driver side above the door and to the part between the windows... got some chips n **** too on the hood .. any advice for those ? and how bout wee lil rust spots? one on sunroof, one under the visor

thanks in advance!
yohan420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Estoy Tranquilo

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Welcome to the wonderful world of red paint. I have to buff out my sideview mirror's every couple of months. Best thing to do to prevent fading is to get it professionally wet color sanded, buffed, and waxed. Then buy a good car cover to keep on the car when parked to protect from sun, dust, etc...

My dad and I wet sanded his '59 Porsche to get it ready for a Concours... took a good 2 weeks in the garage on the weekends. Its an involved process but the Ivory paint on the Porsche is like a mirror now, and the best thing was that it only cost us sandpaper, rubbing compound, and wax.

Tyler
red92si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Absolut
Red, silver, dark blues and some blacks fade like a biatch. Its something to do with the enviromental additives used in those colors from the late 80's to mid 90's. They have made bug improvment since then, but most car paint from the Regan era sucked ass.
Red is the worst though do to the chemicals in it that give it its color.

BTW if you want to change your car to a new color like dark blue it will cost a lot because they have to do things like door jams, under the hood and plenty of other places if you want it to look good.
brendon2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member
I'm not too old for this!

Yohan to answer your question, No you never actually get into the color of the paint that is not what is oxidizing on your car. Cars now days have a two and three stage paint system. The actual color of the car is called the base, wich is the first stage, the second stage is a clear coat that is what oxidizes. The problem is once it starts oxidizing its like rust it will always come back. until you get the car repainted. All you can do is keep color sanding the clear coats top layer and buff, the problem with that is that you can only buff so much before you burn through, granite this takes a while but it will eventually happen.
04 Ford Powestroke Diesel Crew Cab, Shortbed,4x4, SCT Tuner,with Tunes from innovative Diesel,4 inch Donahoe lift,ARP headstuds,AFE Stage 2 intake,MBRP 4 inch Exhaust,4:30 gears from unitrax,18 inch KMC wheels(black) with 35 inch Toyo M/T's.
440 whp 800 torque.
slp mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion