Doing h23 timing belt...removing balancer shaft belt? Some important Q! - Honda Prelude Forum
Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2004, 08:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Doing h23 timing belt...removing balancer shaft belt? Some important Q!

I'll be doing timing belt in the next few days and was thinking of removing the balancer shaft belt.

The question is, will there be any problems with the belt tensioner once the balancer belt is removed?

I don't understand the mechanics of the tensioner right now since I've never opened it before, but wouldn't it increase a tension on the timing belt since now the balancer belt is removed?

What should be done to a balancer belt tensioner when a belt is removed? Should I leave it as it is and just adjust it for the timing belt?
vtecprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2004, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
removing the balancer shaft belt won't have any adverse effect on the engine. The balancer shaft is supposed to minimize the vibration of the engine, so it might feel a little shakier than usual but it's worth it.
Jesus freak

96LudeVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

I understand the function of the "balancer" belt. The thing I'm concerned about is what effect will it have on the Timing belt since they both use the same Belt Tensioner.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
they don't both use the same tensioner

the timing has it's own and the balance shaft belt has it's own..
Old 06-11-2004, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Looking at the manual pics it looked like it was one Tensioner for both. The two pulleys are attached to a single bolt. In any case, it's good that there is a seperate tensioner.

Can I then safely remove the balancer belt tensioner?
Old 06-12-2004, 12:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

dont worry man, it makes sense when you get in there.

the way it works is there are 2 tensioners and the same bolt/nut holds them together. but the timing one can be locked in at the block with one of the timing cover bolts so when you set the tension on the balance shaft the timing belt keeps the correct tension.

it's supposed to free up a few horsies across the board so why not? If you dont mind a little shaky idle
irishpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

BTW, if you read any of my recent threads when i did mine... I cant stress enough to have the honda crank pulley holder or a very good quality impact wrench and compressor! a friend is also needed for the time to put the belt on and have the cams at tdc. unless you can find dowels that fit perfectly to hold the cams up you'll need to put some pressure on them while putting the belt on.

Helms of course it vital... If you need the scans I have them for the Timing belt. but i think someone hosted them and put them here a week ago or so
irishpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by irishpilot
BTW, if you read any of my recent threads when i did mine... I cant stress enough to have the honda crank pulley holder or a very good quality impact wrench and compressor! a friend is also needed for the time to put the belt on and have the cams at tdc. unless you can find dowels that fit perfectly to hold the cams up you'll need to put some pressure on them while putting the belt on.

Helms of course it vital... If you need the scans I have them for the Timing belt. but i think someone hosted them and put them here a week ago or so

Are saying when I remove the timing belt the cams will shift from their position? If yes, is it difficult move them back?

Based on your experience what should I do with the balancer belt tensioner once I remove the balancer belt?

I'm going to go to a shop and have them loosen up the crank bolt. I think it should be safe to drive 1mile back home.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Screw that h23 vtec shiot

Jusat leave it be. Ounce you get ther you will understand. Its not hard at all. Just remove the belt and do the rest the way the helms says and you willbe fine.

Personal opinion getting a timing belt on the right way is a pain in the ass for me
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion