Honda Prelude Online banner

Desperately need help

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Branthemen 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok for starters if this is the wrong place to post this please just move it for me dont delete it. And I know this is a lot of info or what not but please be patient enough to read it and try to help me. I'm only giving so much info because I think it might help somebody help me.

I really need to get my car fixed in 9 days because I have to be out of the place I'm living in by then. I cant leave my car sitting here when I go because the landlord will have it towed and I can not afford and impound fee ect.

My car is a 1992 honda prelude it doesnt have the vtec the guy i got it from told me it was a 4.2 liter engine but after lookin up engines online it seems he may of got it backwards because it looks more like a 2.4 liter

Anyways the car always started right up and ran great most of the time. Although sometimes it would kind of idle down and sputter a little like it was about to die and then rev itself. It would do this for like 3-4 mins then idle n run fine. It only did this every once in a while in other words not a lot. Sometimes it would die on me but it would always start right back up. Sometimes it would also die on me while i was downshifting when slowing down and stopping for stop signs and traffic lights. One day my car died and it would not start back up. It cranks but it doesnt start but when I first put the key to on i hear a click which i think is the main relay so it should be good right?

Anyways if anyone could help me figure out what is wrong with it before i have to be out of here I would be very Greatfull

extra info

Ok so I let my batter charge off a friends car by hooking it up to his batter with jumper cables and letting his car run to charge my battery for about 20 minutes. I put my batter back in my car after that and the first thing i did was turn the key on and lisened to the fuel pump. It primed or whatever so i pushed in the clutch n cranked it. Started right up. Now the problem is it ran for about 5 minutes with a little sputter when i reved it but very little then it died and wouldnt start again. So I figured mabe the alternator is bad and the car ran off the battery till it was to low to keep the car running so I hooked it back up to my friends n charged it some again but this time when I put it back in my car I didn't hear the fuel pump prime and the car wouldnt start.

would my problem be that the alternator is bad and the battery doesnt have enough juice to start the car and keep it running?

Note it cranks over just dont start.

See less See more
#2 ·
your car is 2.3 h23 (160hp) or 2.2 f22 (150hp)

you should do some ignition and basic maintenance there if you dont know what has been done to your car

- new spark plugs & wires
- new distributor cap & rotor
- new air/fuel filters
- clean injectors/iacv/egr/fitv
- change all the fluids
- oil change + new oil filter
- adjust valves and ignition

those are just basic maintenance, of course you could get new battery as well, if you have no idea how old it is

#3 ·
When you put your key on the on position how many clicks do you hear? It could be a couple of things,few off the top of my head 1 main relay,2 valve cover ground (driver side)3tranny ground I believe? Not sure and 4 thermostat ground. My car did the same thing and I kept on replacing relays 70 bucks a piece well after the 4th one I did more research and found those grounds and looked and it ended up being my thermostat ground wasn't even tight at all.

#5 ·
I think I figured out what was wrong with it. I think it was a combination of a low battery and a clogged/dirty filter , line, or injector. The day after i made that post I charged my battery a little while then got my car to start. It tried to die on me a few minutes after I got it started so I reved the **** out of it then let it idle for a while. It ran for a half hour so I went out n shut it off to see if it would start up again and it did. So I drove it to the gas station n put a half tank of gas in it and a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and it has started right up and ran fine every since and I'm hopeing it stays that way lol. Think that could of been the problem? And thanks for trying to help.

I meant to post on here and let anyone who tried to help know that I got it runnin but I couldnt remember the site address/link

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.