Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cooling fan stays on

Cooling fan goes on when i turn the ignition and stays on whether the car is hot or cold. I unplugged both sensors on the upper radiator hose housing and the on the thermostat housing. The fan will shut off when the ignition is on. I'm assuming the car thinks it's hot when it's really not causing the fan to go on any ideas? I swapped out the relay with a different one same result. I pulled the fuse it shut off.
ludevtec95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
SLVR SFR

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Are you having any problems with the temperature of the car at all? Mines started acting that way recently after I turn it off but it goes away usually like 10 minutes or so. I think its better to have it running than not running.
jinusean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

no i have never had a problem with it overheating at all. A couple of days ago it worked perfectly fine and than yesterday it just started turning on when the ignition is on whether the car is warmed up or been sitting over night. Any ideas?
Old 08-18-2006, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

This function helps the car to cool after it has been running and is still hot, it is normal and your car should be doing that, dont turn it off!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

not what my car is doing. I turned the key on but didn't even start the car this morning when it hasn't been running in over 12 hours and the fan started immediately that is not normal. The problem is the fan is running even when the car is completely cold and the fan is always on whe the ignition is that is not normal.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
fresh azimiz

I wasn't sure if the fan going off after shutting the car was normal or not. It did it alot when the temp. got over 90 degrees.

varun
LUDE'Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member

yeah the fan will stay on after you shut the car off if it's hot enough from what i understand.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Ok well then there is definately something wrong, have you check your fan switches?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member

yeah i unplugged both of them and had the same result. I guess i could replace them sine i ruled out the relay unless the fan control module is bad.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

My 3rd Gen is doing the same thing...

I have an '89 2.0Si (not 4WS) that's doing the same thing. The fans will arbitratily come on, even if the car hasn't been running. Keeps draining the battery.

Have you actually tested your relays? On the 3rd Gen, you can test the relays like this:

1. Find pins 2 and 4. They'll be on the right-hand side of the relay (as you're looking directly at the pins) if the front of the relay (the "bump", not the flat part, the flat part will be at the bottom) is facing up.

2. Energize the relay by putting 12 VDC across pins 2 and 4. If you hear a click, proceed to step 3.

3. While pins 2 & 4 are energized, you should have continuity between pins 1 and 3.

If you don't hear a click when you energize pins 2 and 4, your relay is probably bad.

Make sure you test all your sensors, too. I use the "boiling water" method. Take the sensor, and place it in boiling water so that the part that electrically connects to the car is facing up (not underwater). Once the water reaches 190-195 degrees F, the sensor should produce continuity when checked with an ohm meter (on a digital, it will read 0.00). If you get continuity, pull the sensor out of the water and let it cool down. Once the sensor gets below 190 degrees F, if you ohm it out you will get resistance (not continuity). The digital meter I use shows 1.318, other meters may show differently. The thing to note is that continuity should always read 0.00. Some meters might show the infinity symbol, most digital multimeters will simply read 0.00 to indicate continuity.

While you're at it, check out my post with the same problem:

Cooling fan drains battery

If you have any ideas after reading the troubleshooting steps I've already taken, I'd appreciate it.
mhackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion