Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2004, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Write-Up: How to Adjust your Clutch

To all you dirty liars that said that you couldn't adjust the clutch because it was hydraulic.. here is your write up:

Scoot the seat all the way back and lay it down. Now lay down in the seat with your head under the dash. A flashlight helps. There are basically 2 adjustment points that you should concern yourself with here: the Rod Adjuster and the Upper Adjuster. They are both connected to the clutch pedal assembly under the dash.

The Rod Adjuster controls the engagement point. Loosen the 12mm locknot on the firewall side of bracket. Now, once the locknut is loose, the rod coming out of the master cylinder can rotate freely. Rotate the rod CCW to bring the engagement closer to the floor. Rotate the rod CW to bring the engagement point closer towards you. Do this in small adjustments of 1/2 a rotation at a time. A small adjustment here makes a big difference in the engagement point. Be sure to tighten down the locknut when you are finished.

Now that you have the correct engagement, you might now have either too much, or too little free play at the top of the pedal travel. To fix this, move to the upper adjuster. It is secured by a locknut on the driver side of the bracket. It is a big metric nut, probably 16 or 18 mm. I didn't have a wrench that big, but was able to use a pair of vice grips to loosen it. To remove freeplay, turn the entire round metal object/bolt thingy CW. This will put more threads through the bracket and remove freeplay. The opposite is also true. Do not forget to tighten down the locknut when you are finished

I have mine set perfectly now, as before it was engaging way too high, and i could never get very smooth N-1, 1-2 shifts. I hope this helps someone, because i couldn't find any useful information by searching. If you have any questions, give me a shout.. This procedure is almost identical to the one on my talon, and i have done that many a time.
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2004, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

The only warning I have about this is if you adjust the engagement point too much your clutch may not fully engage when fully released. This is especially problematic if your clutch is near the end of it's life. Though yes I do agree, far too many people don't understand that the clutch CAN be adjusted!
TimeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

i think i might do this cause i sometimes have a prob. with smooth n-1 1-2 to.

Great Write uP!
Old 06-11-2004, 01:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Great write up! ill do it some time
Old 06-11-2004, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Re: Write-Up: How to Adjust your Clutch

Quote:
Originally posted by Gopherhog
To remove freeplay, turn the entire round metal object/bolt thingy CW.
All this technical jargan........ what does this mean in laymans terms?????

Old 06-11-2004, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

I hope that helps. I really had no clue what to call it.. but it does have a cruise control switch on the end of it.. It's a little plastic button on the end of the bolt that the clutch presses in when it is not pushed in. If you understood that. Once you get down there and look at it, you'll understand it. When you push the clutch in, the botton extends and triggers a signal to turn off cruise control.. same thing with the brake pedal i assume.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TimeRacer
The only warning I have about this is if you adjust the engagement point too much your clutch may not fully engage when fully released. This is especially problematic if your clutch is near the end of it's life. Though yes I do agree, far too many people don't understand that the clutch CAN be adjusted!
True.. If you are bringing the clutch engagement up off of the floor (closer toward you) you will loose freeplay. You are possibly creating a situation where the clutch is not full dissengaged even at the end of the travel. Be sure to Adjust the upper adjuster to compensate. Too add more freeplay, turn the upper adjuster CCW to back the bolt out, this will increase pedal travel and give you more freeplay.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member
people suck.

the thing is called the clutch sensor.

anyhow, im a little confused so if yall could hekp me out.

about the rod adjustment, HOW do you know how much to turn it?

how do you know where engagement point is? IE, what do you feel for? . . . etc.

is it ok to have almost no freeplay?

reason being is cause i didnt knwo how to adjust it after i did the tranny swap, so i just stuck the rod on and backed up the clutch sensor as far and the pedal would go, so ive alway had ALOT of freeplay...and i think its affecting my driving/shifting....so i actually want to adjust it with almost no freeplay.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member
people suck.

can anybody help out?
Old 06-30-2004, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey man, sorry about the delay. I must have missed the post. Basically, to figure out how much to turn it, it is trial and error. A 1/2 rotation on the rod could mean an inch or 2 of movement. To find the engagement point, go ahead and put the parking brake on, and put the car in gear, slowly let out on the clutch. As soooooon as the RPM's start to dip/flutter that is the engagement point. As you adjust the rods, you'll notice that that point where the clutch first starts to grab the disc will move closer or farther away from the floor. You can adjust it to where you have no freeplay.. i would be careful with that though, make sure that the clutch is not being slightly pushed in by the stop at the top of the travel because it is screwed in too far. Once you get the engagement point set, then adjust the freeplay. Let me know if you have any more questions
Old 06-30-2004, 08:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Supporting Member

hey my clutch wont snap out as fast will this help it? i cant get a smooth shift from 1 to 2 either...

Last edited by luckyviet; 06-30-2004 at 08:12 PM.
luckyviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Like it's slow to come off the floor? That's not good. You check your fluid level? and make sure it's bleed properly? there might be air in the lines..

This adjustment won't help your problem, i don't believe.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Supporting Member
people suck.

hmmm this is all still confusing, where is the IDEAL point of engagement?

ill try to explain how my clutch is right now,

when i press the clutch down it has about 2 inches of freeplay, then after that, there is pressure and it engages after that....im not even sure if the engagement is correct but i suppose i could probably move it closer to the floor, now my question is: all that extra freeplay is kind of annoying, since it doesnt seem to do anything anyway, can i just screw the top adjuster sensor until there is practically no freeplay?

from waht your saying it seems as if it is better to adjust the engagement point to be CLOSER to the FLOOR correct? because the opposite could create a bad situation.

thanks!
Old 07-01-2004, 05:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well, hmmm.. lemme try and re-explain everything just so we are clear

The engagement point that i am referring to, is when you have the car on, clutch pushed in, and it's in 1st gear. Slowly let out the clutch until the RPM's start to drop. That point right there is the engagement point. that's where the clutch starts to grab (engage) things.

The IDEAL engagement point is more of a personal preference. Some people like it grabbing right off the floor, some like it a bit higher up. I have mine starting to engage around 1/3rd of the way up and fully engaged by about 2/3rds. That's just how it feels most natural to me.

If you are happy where the clutch engages now, then yes, all you would need to do is to screw in the upper adjuster to take up the slack at the top of the travel. That slack is the freeplay. Now, if you have the upper adjuster all the way in and there is still too much freeplay for your liking, there isn't much you can do other than bring the engagement point off the floor a little.

HTH
Old 07-01-2004, 05:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by soon2bsh

from waht your saying it seems as if it is better to adjust the engagement point to be CLOSER to the FLOOR correct? because the opposite could create a bad situation.
If the engagement point is too far off the floor, then yes it can create a bad situation. you won't be able to back enough threads out of the upper adjuster, and the clutch will never fully depress. This will cause your clutch to wear out much faster than normal, because it's like driving around with your foot on the pedal slightly. i would guess that this would happen if you had the engagement point set to around 2/3rds of the pedal travel up.. which would be rediculous to drive IMHO.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Convicted GSR Rapist

Quote:
Originally posted by Gopherhog

The IDEAL engagement point is more of a personal preference. Some people like it grabbing right off the floor, some like it a bit higher up. I have mine starting to engage around 1/3rd of the way up and fully engaged by about 2/3rds. That's just how it feels most natural to me.
Thats how my car came stock, and thats how i prefer it. But ive noticed it "slipping" as time goes by. Doesnt the helm cover this?

PROSTREETONLINE == DONT BUY LIST
achemze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Supporting Member
people suck.

ah i see. How it is right now is that it starts to engage about 1/4-1/3 of the way up...i guess its fine like that.

I looked at the helms and it says to have about .39-.59 freeplay, so i adjusted that.

Before i had major freeplay/slack cause the clutch adjusting bolt was backed up all the way.
(i did this in the beginning because i didnt really understand the workings of it, and didnt want clutch drag).

thanks for the help! i have a better understanding of it all now.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

No problem! Glad it helped somebody

And from his last post, it sounds like the helms manual covers this. I wouldn't know because i haven't purchased one yet.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Hon hon hon

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i dunno if you are still on the board, guy, but i wanna say thank you for the awesome writeup! the shop that did my swap n0.0bishly told me there was no way to adjust the clutch, and the fact that my clutch let out high was "just the way it was gonna be" becuase my car is an automatic swapped to manual. now the clutch is perfect, grabs much lower, and my shifts are now smooth
Old 03-25-2005, 11:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Schaeffy Schaeff

Good Job Gopher

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion