Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Type SH weird issues!

So I just bought a 98 Type SH. It has like 140k miles

I've noticed there is huge noise coming from the rear right suspension area.
I thought it was a noise from the body, but apparently my mechanic says it's from bad strut.

It sounds like metal parts are clunking each other.

He offered me about 400 bucks to replace both.

I could do it by myself, however I don't know if the rear suspension on base models and SH models are the same. I see some base models parting out on Craigslist.

Also, my key lock is wayyy stiffer than other preludes. Also the key won't even work in trunk and passenger side door.
Is this a common issue with preludes? All my friends seem to have bad trunk key holes with their preludes.

Also, weirdest thing, the car has a clean title with no accident record. However, I've noticed the left front wheel is about 2cm left behind than the right side. I did an alignment by myself yesterday and now it seems to go straight, but it just bothers me. Doesn't it mean that my front subframe is bent?

Also, the right wheel sticks out of fender about 1cm. but the left side the wheel is located inside the fender. (Rims are little bit wider than stock)
imgur: the simple image sharer Go to this link look at the rim!

I bought the car really cheap so I can't really ***** at it, but it does have some weird issues!

Help! Any opinions will be helpful! Thanks!
TheRedSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

quoted from Base vs. SH

There are actually quite a few differences between the base and the Type SH suspension, The springs are not the same. The type SH springs are a little taller. The struts are different as well, the base where the spring is perched sits lower on the Type SH, hence the taller spring. It results in a little firmer spring rate than the base. Lets not forget to mention the front knuckles are different, the raius rods, the front trailing arms, and the roll bars are a couple of millimeters thicker than the base front and rear. In the rear the springs and struts are different on the SH, it has the same condition as the front where the perch that the spring sits on is slightly lower than the base model, and the spring is slightly taller than the base model, It is not as big of a difference between the SH and Base rears as the fronts are though, the rear trailing arms are a little thicker as well but not much. The only problems with aftermarket struts would be modifying the dust gaurds on the struts with stock springs, however if you go aftermarket springs and struts that are replaced in tandem you will not run into any issues..

sounds like a bad strut IMO but if you are considering lowering then i would just save up a little more and get full coilovers.. thats what I am in the process of right now due to my front driver strut being out. just an option.

all my key locks are smooth and have no issues, might be new key locks installed and may take time to wear down or didnt install new key locks for the trunk and passenger thus your key would work??? just brainstorming so i apologize if these are not correct.

my stock SH are pretty much flush with the fender so maybe your aftermarkey rims are a bit wider by chance not totally sure....

hope this helps
tmarfori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

oh and welcome to the prelude community! AZ by any chance?
tmarfori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarfori View Post
oh and welcome to the prelude community! AZ by any chance?
Oh yeah Thank you! I live in Washington!

And I'm just going to get used suspension from a junked prelude haha thank you for your help! And the keylock, I still have no idea haha
Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There's a technical service bulletin for rear shock knock...check it out, may be your problem. Easy fix too.
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
There's a technical service bulletin for rear shock knock...check it out, may be your problem. Easy fix too.
I went down to junk yard picked up rear strut assembly and swaped it. Also found out my higher arm bars were loose. I tightened those and the car drives nice now! Thank you everyone!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Thread Ender

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Shocks people. They are shocks.

Honda didn't start using struts on the later cars until the 2002 Civic when they went to MacPherson suspensions. Most other models followed on their following generations.

As Berkley stated, check out the SB for shock knock. The rear sway bars were also known to cause noises as well and can be remedied by using some coolant hose and hose clamp to limit the lateral movement of the sway bar.

The PepsiLude - Dec 2002 to Mar 2007

Last edited by LowFlyin'; 01-04-2013 at 10:05 AM.
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
Shocks people. They are shocks.

Honda didn't start using struts on the later cars until the 2002 Civic when they went to MacPherson suspensions. Most other model followed on there following generations.

As Berkley stated, check out the SB for shock knock. The rear sway bars were also known to cause noises as well and can be remedied by using some coolant hose and hose clamp to limit the lateral movement of the sway bar.
Question! What's the difference between shocks and struts?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedSH View Post
Question! What's the difference between shocks and struts?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Shocks+vs.+Struts

AEM - ARP - BLOX Racing - BP Initiatives - Enkei Racing - Evolution Industries
H&R - Hybrid Racing - ICB Motorsports - Innovative Mounts - KAIZENSPEED
K&N - Ksport - Megan Racing - MFactory - NEUSPEED - NRG Innovations - OBX Racing
SICKSPEED - SpeedFactory - ST Suspensions - Vibrant Performance - VMS Racing
bloodSHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion