Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering wheel is noisy in very cold weather

Greetings Prelude fans,

The steering column on my '97 SH gets really noisy when the weather is cold. When I turn it from side to side I hear this screaching sound, most likely from plastic rubbing on plastic, but not really sure. Is it just me? Should I spray it down with silicone grease or something? It's starting to get annoying! any ideas?

- Mike
Glaucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

hmmm. almost sounds like your PS belt is slipping. thats the only thing that i can think of that will cause screeching noise when you turn the wheel.

Florida prelude owners click here
and tell them drew sent you

DrewIsLudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Nah, I know what that sounds like. This is coming from the steering column itself, inside the passenger area. Can't hear it outside the car. It sounds like it's coming from right where the steering wheel meets up with the base of the steering column. Could it be the ATTS sensor on the steering wheel?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaucus View Post
Nah, I know what that sounds like. This is coming from the steering column itself, inside the passenger area. Can't hear it outside the car. It sounds like it's coming from right where the steering wheel meets up with the base of the steering column. Could it be the ATTS sensor on the steering wheel?
that sensor is actually part of your combination switch so no, if that was the case im pretty sure your car would throw a code.

i cant think of what plastic on plastic would sound like. my car used to grown when turning wheel in the cold. changed ps fluid and it quit.
rpwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Is the steering wheel possibly rubbing against the plastic steering column trim? You might just need to sand some plastic away.
Rodmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Merovingeon

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had the opposite of this problem. Mine would squeek and actually bind up a bit when it was hot outside. I had to remove the wheel, and trim the collar with a dremel
1983 - Porsche 944 - "weekend / fun car" Weltmeister bushings, #220lb Weltmeister springs, Bilstein HD's F+R, '86 951 front and rear sways, stainless brake lines, Odyssey lightweight battery, low temp fan switch, Schnell SSK, sport seats //future LS1 swap//
98auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Sounds like I may have to trim something down as well. Weird that mine's the only one that does that. Unfortunately, it's too cold for me to do anything now.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure I know the noise your talking about, my 4th gen does this. ONLY when it's really cold out (maybe < 20F). It's been doing this the whole time I've had it (8 yrs). It's almost like the steering wheel is crying
Never felt like ripping it apart in the freezing cold and it's never effected anything so I just let it go. A day or two of >30F and it's happy again.
alfabit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Merovingeon

yea..when you pull the wheel off, you will see. Mine was full of little white plastic shavings. It will be very evident where the source is. a word of caution: You will need a steering wheel puller, and make sure to disco the battery, because you must remove the airbag. Working with SRS is dangerous so be safe.
1983 - Porsche 944 - "weekend / fun car" Weltmeister bushings, #220lb Weltmeister springs, Bilstein HD's F+R, '86 951 front and rear sways, stainless brake lines, Odyssey lightweight battery, low temp fan switch, Schnell SSK, sport seats //future LS1 swap//
Old 02-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98auto View Post
yea..when you pull the wheel off, you will see. Mine was full of little white plastic shavings. It will be very evident where the source is. a word of caution: You will need a steering wheel puller, and make sure to disco the battery, because you must remove the airbag. Working with SRS is dangerous so be safe.
Ok, and thanks for the safety tip. When the weather gets nicer I'll try to take it apart and see if there's an easy fix.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

mine does this too, when its cold and wet outside, not so much when its <5 farenheit and dry out

its more like a creaking noise, like an old rocking chair, coming from right behind the steering wheel
Old 02-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Merovingeon

yup.mine was a squuuuueeeeeeeeek and sounded like a rocking chair. right behind the wheel. trust me, I know it's that collar.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Supporting Member
The Cheeze

My Integra does the same in cold weather under 20*

95 Integra LS <<<>>> 99 CBM Prelude SH
lude4lifeh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion