Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some electrical help

Hello, my son has a 98 Prelude. a while ago it developed an issue where the fuse in the dash fuse panel, which was responsible for the charging circuit would blow continually.

What we discovered is that this fuse blows whenever the voltage regulator signals that it's time to charge.

My mechanic spent some time on this and told us that the only 2 things in the circuit that could cause this are the ignition switch or the charging module.

The ignition switch has been replaced and the problem persists. So that leaves me with the charging module. He explained to me that this charging module is molded into the engine bay fuse box and is not serviceable without replacing the fuse box.

OK not a problem, there are tons of them on eBay.

My issue is I want to verify that this said charging module is in fact in the engine bay fuse box. I can't find any information on this thing at all.
Codewize is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Anyone ???
Old 11-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm not sure which fuse you are referring to inside the cabin of the vehicle. Which one specifically is blowing? Also, you said that the fuse blows when the vehicle begins to charge? Do you mean when the engine is running and the alternator is outputting voltage to the battery?

I don't have a wiring diagram with me so I can't tell you for certain if there is such a thing as a "charging module" in the engine fuse box, but typically when the alternator (which is internally regulated on the prelude) overcharges the system it will begin to blow one or more fuses when the engine is running.

Unless someone else can chime in and tell you that there is a "charging module" in the fuse box, I'd have the alternator/regulator tested for proper charging voltage (will most likely need to be removed to have bench tested off engine).

Last edited by White91Prelude; 11-27-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Mis-read original post
White91Prelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White91Prelude View Post
I'm not sure which fuse you are referring to inside the cabin of the vehicle. Which one specifically is blowing? Also, you said that the fuse blows when the vehicle begins to charge? Do you mean when the engine is running and the alternator is outputting voltage to the battery?

I don't have a wiring diagram with me so I can't tell you for certain if there is such a thing as a "charging module" in the engine fuse box, but typically when the alternator (which is internally regulated on the prelude) overcharges the system it will begin to blow one or more fuses when the engine is running.

Unless someone else can chime in and tell you that there is a "charging module" in the fuse box, I'd have the alternator/regulator tested for proper charging voltage (will most likely need to be removed to have bench tested off engine).
I'd have to check which fuse it is.
Yes exactly. If you charge the batter fully on a charger, install it in the car it's fine until the regulator engages charging. The second the alternator starts to put out voltage to the battery, the fuse blows.

Alternator is new. I know that doesn't mean anything but my mechanic did say he tested it.

Last edited by Codewize; 11-27-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion