Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #21 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Looks Good. Did you have to do anything with the terminals, or did the stock cables hook right up?
usmcmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #22 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Thanks, the battery terminals hooked right up to the stock cables. You just screw on their two brass terminal posts and are good to go.
That 01 BB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

Sweet...Buying mine today!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #24 (permalink)

Nice let me know how it works out for ya.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #25 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Let me ask you something, what do you think you gained by this?

You obviously don't need it considering it's an automatic daily driver and the battery only has a 1 year fixed warranty vs the Honda 100 month. Granted it's pro rated after a point but the first few years are free replacement, I don't think anyone can beat their warranty. Considering too that you own a car that is over 1.5 tons in weight, a couple of pounds is nothing.

The only people who should be buying something like this is someone using the car for off road purposes.

Even if I myself were to take the time to relocate my battery I would still use the big ol Honda one I have since the weight savings isn't worth the money, since you'll probably buy 3 braille batteries to every 1 OEM if not more.

Or you could spend money on a charger so that you could match the life expectancy of the Honda battery you discarded but you'll still be losing money.

Last edited by minilogoguy18; 06-30-2012 at 07:16 PM.
minilogoguy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #26 (permalink)

This car is just a fun project for me. Any money I put into this car is money I can afford to experiment with. I don't really think I gained anything per say, I'm not driving around like a badass or like I gained 75hp now if that's what you mean.

Shedding weight is shedding weight. You have to start somewhere and I still have my stock battery if anything goes wrong.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Maybe the amount of wieght that he loses will kinda make up for the driveline losses of the auto??
bouckarooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #28 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't see what's wrong with him spending money on the project of his. If he has the money to burn, then he has the money to burn. Any mod on any car is pretty much a "waste". Putting thousand of dollars into a prelude just to keep up with a skyline will probably cost you 4 skylines (I'm just saying). I think it's more about the appreciation of the car and the pride of having a prelude. Even if he goes to the extreme of a full bodykit, lambo doors, fake blow-off valves, neon underglow kit, strobe headlights, full sound system and A.I. computer that talks to you and adjust every feature of the car via voice... I'd still support him.

I may not like the car at all... or even think it's ugly, but none the less I don't think it's "wrong". I just wouldn't want him to park next to me lol.

In the end... it is his car. Shedding weight is good regardless of what tranny, or engine you got.
wushu_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #29 (permalink)

Braille batteries are a ripoff - buy straight from the source, Deka, and get them for a third of the price. I've been using them on my last 3 cars as daily drivers. The ETX14 was great during the summer on my Prelude & Fit, but would occasionally need a jump on the coldest days, so I swapped up to the ETX16. Got an ETX18L running my ZX, it's been flawless so far, and should be even better in the winter - even on the bigger engine.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^Who makes the cores on these batteries? Are the braille and this company using the same cores?
bouckarooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #31 (permalink)

Deka does.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemione View Post
Braille batteries are a ripoff - buy straight from the source, Deka, and get them for a third of the price. I've been using them on my last 3 cars as daily drivers. The ETX14 was great during the summer on my Prelude & Fit, but would occasionally need a jump on the coldest days, so I swapped up to the ETX16. Got an ETX18L running my ZX, it's been flawless so far, and should be even better in the winter - even on the bigger engine.
So you bought this? ETX16 Sealed AGM Deka Battery Harley Buell Motorcycle Arctic Cat Snowmobile USA | eBay

Seems like a good deal, half the price. I see you're from Massachusetts so I'm a little surprised that the Deka battery starts your car in the winter with only 325cca.

I guess I'll be good to go with the Braille's 426cca. I couldn't find a Deka battery that could match the Braille's cold cranking amperage with it's lightweight design.

Last edited by That 01 BB6; 07-02-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #33 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Can you even run the Accessories with that battery? Looks like one of those lawn mower batteries. Have you look at the Optima batteries for the Civics the 51 size series batteries?
PreludeBB4Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #34 (permalink)

I wouldn't say it was a good battery if I could no longer have A/C or a factory sound system to use. The only thing I sacrificed with this battery was 124 less cold cranking amps than my OEM Honda battery had, and 88 months of warranty. If you can live with those two facts you should be ok.

These batteries are used in a variety of applications. From cars to forklifts.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #35 (permalink)

As long as the car is running, the electrical load is on the alternator - the battery shouldn't have anything to do with it unless you're exceeding the charging limits of your alternator. If you want to sit in the car with it parked and blast an amplified sound system, a lightweight battery probably isn't for you.

Quote:
I couldn't find a Deka battery that could match the Braille's cold cranking amperage with it's lightweight design.
Again, they're the exact same batteries. Braille started listing hire ratings for them recently - probably to try and lower the sales they're losing to Deka now that people have found out.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #36 (permalink)

I think the battery is a great investment. Installs obviously easy. Can clean up your engine bay a bit if you built a battery tray to match the battery size should you decide a battery relocate isn't for you. And yeah I know the performance increase is obviously not incredible. I mean when you consider the power to weight ratio of a stock prelude the weight savings with that battery is comparable to 2 more hp. And the battery is $160 so $80 dollars per hp. But tell me a great majority of us dont spend more for less. However its not just going to contribute to a faster car on some drag strip. You're also decreasing your braking distance which can contribute to your own safety and also I would guess its going to give you a better weight balance in your car and better cornering. Not a ton better but like I said its all a great start. Plus you can probably get a bit of a wow factor when you open your hood and people see your mini battery. I think it looks pretty cool. I ordered mine today and will be matching it with a smaller battery tray rather than the relocate.
junkspeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #37 (permalink)

....Hm

Please allow me to completely retract my previous comment about the Braille being a great idea. After 4.5 months it has completely failed and refuses to hold a charge. I guess Im headed back to Optima. Very disappointed but without trial and error I would of never known.
junkspeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #38 (permalink)

Mine is working perfect. Very cold starts up here in New York too.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #39 (permalink)

Yeah..Mines been working fine too. No issues with starting in the cold. I think you just got a bad battery, get it replaced under warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion