Honda Prelude Online banner

Lightweight Battery?

11K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  usmcmarc 
#1 ·
I have done some research and it seems to me that a lot of people go with the Odyssey PC680 or some model from Braille. A lot of people complain that their PC680 won't start their car in the cold due to a lack of CCA's.

My issue is I live in upstate, NY and it gets very cold here in the winter so I need a solid battery with good cold cranking amps. I am also not looking to have to trickle charge the battery or anything different than just dropping this battery in and going.

So basically I'm wondering what is a great lightweight battery (15-20lbs) that will be a perfect plug-n-play all year round for the prelude, in the weather I'll be in?

#34 ·
I wouldn't say it was a good battery if I could no longer have A/C or a factory sound system to use. The only thing I sacrificed with this battery was 124 less cold cranking amps than my OEM Honda battery had, and 88 months of warranty. If you can live with those two facts you should be ok.

These batteries are used in a variety of applications. From cars to forklifts.

#35 ·
As long as the car is running, the electrical load is on the alternator - the battery shouldn't have anything to do with it unless you're exceeding the charging limits of your alternator. If you want to sit in the car with it parked and blast an amplified sound system, a lightweight battery probably isn't for you.

I couldn't find a Deka battery that could match the Braille's cold cranking amperage with it's lightweight design.
Again, they're the exact same batteries. Braille started listing hire ratings for them recently - probably to try and lower the sales they're losing to Deka now that people have found out.

#36 ·
I think the battery is a great investment. Installs obviously easy. Can clean up your engine bay a bit if you built a battery tray to match the battery size should you decide a battery relocate isn't for you. And yeah I know the performance increase is obviously not incredible. I mean when you consider the power to weight ratio of a stock prelude the weight savings with that battery is comparable to 2 more hp. And the battery is $160 so $80 dollars per hp. But tell me a great majority of us dont spend more for less. However its not just going to contribute to a faster car on some drag strip. You're also decreasing your braking distance which can contribute to your own safety and also I would guess its going to give you a better weight balance in your car and better cornering. Not a ton better but like I said its all a great start. Plus you can probably get a bit of a wow factor when you open your hood and people see your mini battery. I think it looks pretty cool. I ordered mine today and will be matching it with a smaller battery tray rather than the relocate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.