Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to install daytime running lights

Hey guys,

I am Canadian and just bought my first prelude yesterday: a 1998 SH from Seattle. One of the import requirements to get the car to Canada is to have DRL installed. I see lots of posts on how to repair the DRL, but has anyone ever been through this process and know how to INSTALL DRLs? Any Canadians ever used Canadian Tire or the Honda dealer to do this? costs?

Thanks,
dan.poelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Pimp Member

Feedback Score: 74 reviews
Preludes in the States never came with it so you won't beable to have DRL
98 Prelude-Parts Car-SOLD
97 Prelude-RHD project#2
99 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
01 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
94 Prelude-VTEC status-Traded for 98 Prelude
98 Prelude-traded for 94 prelude
97 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD

Retrofit service/pics
http://www.myspace.com/bceretrofits
Prelude1897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude1897 View Post
Preludes in the States never came with it so you won't beable to have DRL
As someone who has imported cars from Japan etc (that don't have DTRL), you can install them.

Go to Canadian Tire, they have a module in the auto section that is a DTRL module. It comes with wiring instructions as well. Basically you'll end up tapping into the ignition, so whenever your ignition is on, your lights are on. IT won't be as "OEM" as it is on domestic Canadian models, but it will allow you to pass your Provincial and Federal inspections (as part of the import process).

IIRC, Candian Tire will install the DTRL module for you, but it's not that hard, and you can do it yourself.

Good luck, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Living on a Warmer Buoy

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The only other way besides mcnabs suggestion would be to purchase all components from a Canadian Honda dealer and have it installed. This will be quite expensive as you would have to change out a few components/wiring to make it work.
My broken wings how far should I go drifting in the wind.

liquidxnitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

what is canadian tire? i want drl but im in texas, do you think they have that module down here?
remy525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Pimp Member

Feedback Score: 74 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnab View Post
As someone who has imported cars from Japan etc (that don't have DTRL), you can install them.

Go to Canadian Tire, they have a module in the auto section that is a DTRL module. It comes with wiring instructions as well. Basically you'll end up tapping into the ignition, so whenever your ignition is on, your lights are on. IT won't be as "OEM" as it is on domestic Canadian models, but it will allow you to pass your Provincial and Federal inspections (as part of the import process).

IIRC, Candian Tire will install the DTRL module for you, but it's not that hard, and you can do it yourself.

Good luck, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Damn, need to get some of these parts shipped down our way then This would be nice to have for my RHD Prelude
98 Prelude-Parts Car-SOLD
97 Prelude-RHD project#2
01 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
94 Prelude-VTEC status-Traded for 98 Prelude
98 Prelude-traded for 94 prelude

Retrofit service/pics
http://www.myspace.com/bceretrofits
Prelude1897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Living on a Warmer Buoy

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by remy525 View Post
what is canadian tire? i want drl but im in texas, do you think they have that module down here?
Canadian Tire would be a shop in Canada.

US Honda does not carry any DRL components and would probably charge an arm and a leg if the possibility of purchasing exists.

Why would you want to have DRLs? Just turn on your lights if you want to be seen. I drive with the JDM driving lights on all the time. You can also rig up the JDM driving lights to come on as DRLs with the fuse placement. One fuse position would allow you to use the fogs with the parking lights. The other placement would be to come on with the car as long as the switch is in the ON position (I think). I have mine set up to come on with the parking lights but IIRC in the instrucitons, you can set it up either way.

You cannot do the fuse trick with the USDM fog lights. There is a relay or something in the wiring that forces it to come on with the headlamps or something. I forget exactly.

**EDIT - Here, I will even give you the link to the post for the fuse placement

Write-Up: 5th Gen JDM Fog Installation Instructions w/ pics
My broken wings how far should I go drifting in the wind.

Last edited by liquidxnitez; 05-04-2008 at 06:20 PM.
liquidxnitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude1897 View Post
Damn, need to get some of these parts shipped down our way then This would be nice to have for my RHD Prelude

Here is what they sell:

I put this module in my Skyline when I imported it, as it was required to pass my provincial inspection. If you want the DTRL module I can pick it up here and send it down to you, just shoot me a PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Skyline??? Pics plz!!!
Rodmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanks

hey, thanks mcnab - i found it in the canadian tire here. only 34.99 - you say its easy to install? anyone have a wiring diagram for a 98 prelude or know where to find one?
dan.poelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidxnitez View Post

US Honda does not carry any DRL components and would probably charge an arm and a leg if the possibility of purchasing exists.

Why would you want to have DRLs? Just turn on your lights if you want to be seen. I drive with the JDM driving lights on all the time. You can also rig up the JDM driving lights to come on as DRLs with the fuse placement. One fuse position would allow you to use the fogs with the parking lights. The other placement would be to come on with the car as long as the switch is in the ON position (I think). I have mine set up to come on with the parking lights but IIRC in the instrucitons, you can set it up either way.

You cannot do the fuse trick with the USDM fog lights. There is a relay or something in the wiring that forces it to come on with the headlamps or something. I forget exactly.

looking for daytime running headlights, not foglights. plus i have a 4th gen
remy525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have a CDN '93 Prelude SR 2.3 (H23A1), and a US '94 Prelude SR 2.3 (H23A1) - I was trying to get the DTRL working in the new '94,(Just cuz) and located the module under the Pass Side floor electronics shroud. Easy enough to remove, but when I opened us the US '94 model that I have - No wiring harness! The hole to mount the Module is there, but there's no harness included in the US version.
Bummer... I'll just have to turn them on manually.
* And my car is registered in BC, Canada, and apparently did NOT need to have this working to be imported.
daviddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidxnitez View Post

He doesn't want them to "be seen" or to look cool. It's the law up there. I have DRLs on my lude
00CDMLUDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion