Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2004, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Honda 90k service

what do you guys think about that 90k mile service that Honda recommends and wants to charge $500 for? Is it just a waste of money or what? Would I be better off taking my lude to someone else cheaper and just get a tune up (plugs, wires, belts)? I don't really need them to rotate my tires or top off my fluids or whatever else they do. $500 just seems like a rip off to me. They also tell me that the timing belt or chain, whichever one it is, needs to be changed at 90,000. Do I need to do this now, or can this wait til maybe 100k or 105k? Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Jason
williej55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2004, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Generally it's best advised to just throw out some change now, instead of suffer later. Also on the timing belt, if it hasn't been changed yet, I would definately get it changed now. Timing belts should be changed every 60,000 miles, regardless what honda says.

-zeroskillz
zeroskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

(0K is a good long time and most definitely the belts, water pump, tensioner and related parts should be changed. Honda has several different intervals for their cars. If you bought yours new-now is the time regardless. If used you will be very unwise to wait-timing belts fail with both time and use. You can do one at 60K but that is earlier than normal for an H22a4. Then again if you have been hard on the powertrain it is better early. Another thing-get the valves adjusted.

I prefer to have my dealer do my work while still in warranty. They pricing anymore for the labor is generally competitive in my area and they use only factory parts-WARRANTY on both at dealerships. A tune-up is also a good idea for peace of mind. The Cap and ROtor are probably due for replacement. Plug wires-my experience-can last for some time. The ones from Honda on the CRX were original to the car (12+ years) and were still perfect. If you replace the ones you have consider either the factory or NGK BLUE ones. Accel also has a nice set. These are the brands we use. One other item-replace the fuel filter with the Honda one, not cheap but important at this time.
Happy Luding
'89 CRX Si= SCCA/NASA/PDA ITA #99
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab (4.7L)-gonna tow
Thanks to KONI, KIRK Racing, Longacre, UPRacing, Summit, Racing Electronics and my crew.
jc836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Definitely do the work yourself. The only thing that you might not want to do yourself is the valve adjustment. You can do all other parts of the 90k maintainance for around $150 in OEM parts and a Helms.

60k is WAY overkill for a timing belt. Inspect it and make sure it's in good condition but Honda is very conservative. If they say that it will last 105k without problems that means that their own tests probably showed the first belt snapping at 130k. This applies to belts with normal wear of course. Honda sets the timing belt interval way lower than they could ever conceive it breaking to be safe. I ran my Civic to 127k without a timing belt change.

Oh, and no way does $500 include the timing belt and tensioner. $500 is the normal maintainance. You will have to pay another $600 for the timing belt change at a dealer.

97 EGP Base 5spd Prelude. Engine: DC short ram, DC SS headers, AEM pulleys, Random High flow cat, Mugen sport exhaust, Apexi VAFC. Suspension: Tein SS, Tanabe front lower tie, Neuspeed front upper strut, Neuspeed rear sway, Tanabe rear upper strut, DC rear lower tie, 17X7.5 5Zigen Typhoons with 215/40/17 Goodyear F1 GS-D3s. Other: Bride Ergo II, Spoon oil cap, Magnecor wires, relocated Odyssey 680 battery, Denso iridiums, Mugen pedals, Mugen lugnuts, shortened shifter w/ Momo airleather, Rotora slotted rotors and Endless NA-Y pads, Goodridge SS lines.
fmshaw1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

since were on the subject of cost for maintainance. does anyone know how much it is for the 60k one????
Old 04-14-2004, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by slowone
since were on the subject of cost for maintainance. does anyone know how much it is for the 60k one????
30k=60k=90k because you replace the same parts.

Cheapest I've paid is $250 from dealer.

Rides on H&R Sports with KYB AGX and Work Emotions.
Now with OEM lip, Mugen sides and rear and Apex'i World Sport!
Niffum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
on average in the bay area we pay about 490 for dealer work---30k-60k-90k service.

If there is a good shop around you that you trust ask them to quote out for you. We do the same service for a lot less and we use honda parts. Most of what youre paying at the dealer is hicked up labor charges. If your car is still under warranty tho i would take it to them. I let them do my 30k just so i could make sure that i was still covered under my warranty for another 6k. hhehe
06 STi
2012 STi

Last edited by dvsracergirl; 04-15-2004 at 07:48 PM.
dvsracergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

most of the services can be done at home including the valve adjustment. All you need is some simple tools and a feeler gauge. Now the timing belt and waterpump is a PITA. I would take to dealer or buy your own parts and have a shop install for you. No biggie.
Danny
Bluluded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fmshaw1971
Definitely do the work yourself. The only thing that you might not want to do yourself is the valve adjustment.
Naw, the valve adjustment is easy to do. Just look up the FAQ. It's pretty detailed and honestly, isn't too hard to do if you have any mechanical skills. All you need are basic hand tools and feeler gauges. It takes some time to do, but you should be able to complete the entire job, including putting everything back in order, in under two hours on your first time doing it. Plus, it beats paying Honda lots of money to do it.
Energy Suspension Motor Mount Inserts
axio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member

i paid $270 for the 60k mile service at Honda Cars of Corona, in CA. That also included the fuel injection service, no oil change, and no air filter.

2005 Acura RSX Type S
----www.seansamson.net----
LudeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Supporting Member

so around 200 near 300 huh. thanks
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion